What's new

Question about a Scar????

I have just a general question about a scar. As funny as this sounds... Last week my K9 jumped up and out a nasty scratch on the side of my face....not real deep but deep enough to scab over. Here lies my issue. I have thick dense growth and must shave everyday due to my job. The scab came off due to being soft after the shower and shaving over it. It looks alot like a long narrow dent not so much a rasied scar, if that makes any sense? Does anyone have any suggestions in getting rid of the scar or minimizing it? Besides not letting my K9 scratch my face again.:biggrin:

If if is still in the healing process, polysporin is supposed to work good for that sort of thing. If it is already healed, I have no idea what to do.

I bet it will fade over time. It can take up to a year to heal. I had a a burn scar (well a mark, it went away so I guess its not a scar) on my forearm from where someone dropped a hot pan on it and it took a little over a year to finally go away. I don't know whats best for it to heal, but try aloe vera.

I do not know the name but there are creams that are for that.. Is there not a product like head on that is for that?

Fuzzy

Calendula is regarded as a helpful remedy. I have used it in cream form myself, though to be honest I can't say it is a miracle worker. But check it out, it's worth a look.

+1 for vitamin e.

I had a scar on my lip that is basically invisible because i smothred the healing cut in that stuff constanly

Just leave it, chicks dig scars :biggrin:

You just need a better story then your dog dig it.

A pack of feral dogs whilst saving the neighbors young daughter from certain death for instance.

Just be careful not to keep shaving off the skin as the scar tries to heal itself or it will go from a not unnattractive scar to a disfiguring lumpy mess of skin and gristle. Also keep it well moisturised. Ask your pharmacist for advice on a good product.

I suffered severe facial injuries in a car accident some years ago (90 stitches and five days in hospital) and that was the advice given to me. I actually bought a really good Phillips electric and used it for a couple of years on advice from a surgeon.

A lot of girls do find the scarring attractive but I am glad I followed the surgeon's advice as I do see people with scars that have not been allowed to heal properly and they look unpleasant as well as uncomfortable.

I have nicked myself a few times with my straights especially, as others mentioned try to shave around it for at least the first few days and keep it moist if even a very light bit of neosporin or bacitracin maybe 2x a day and it should be totally gone in a few days.

Just leave it, chicks dig scars :biggrin:

You just need a better story then your dog dig it.

A pack of feral dogs whilst saving the neighbors young daughter from certain death for instance.

When people ask about one of my scars, I usually say that I got in a knife fight with three drunk Lithuanians. And won.

I think I am going try The Vitamin E oil and Mederma. Thanks for all of the replies and help!!!

You can always count on me to suggest something unconventional so here goes. I was talking to a rancher who is also a vet and a similar subject came up. He said for scars and fast healing, he used some ointment that is used on horses and cows. This man uses it on himself and his family. I will do some research and post the name of the prodct when I can. I am originally a country boy and can't help but vouch for his advice. I'm going to get some for myslef also.

The best thing you can do, as long as it's still healing, is try not to keep opening it up and don't get out in the sun. If you have to be outside, use sunscreen for a few months. UV damage greatly increases scarring.

After it's healed, if you still aren't happy, use Mederma. It's insanely expensive, but Walgreen's makes a generic knockoff ($15 a tube, which is half price the brand name), and I can personally say it works to reduce scarring. You need to use it on the order of months, but you only need a tiny bit and I only ever needed one tube to treat a small scar for months. It greatly reduced the size of my scar, which is over my eyebrow.

Forgot to add, I've been told by many physicians that Neosporin or other antibiotic ointment is good for healing in the first few days, but not to use it more than 4 or 5 days or it impedes healing.

Top Bottom