What's new

Allen-Edmonds vs. Alden

Allen-Edmonds shoes are very good. Alden shoes are very good, too. Alden is one of the few companies that offers shoes in Shell Cordovan, so if you're looking for a pair of shoes you could be buried in fifty years from now, they might be a good choice. Of course, Shell ages a bit differently than you might be used to, developing quite large, wavy ripples around the toe joint instead of the creases one usually sees in fullgrain cowhide. I guess it'd mainly come down to which company has the styles you want in a last that is comfortable for you, though Alden may have a bit more prestige.

Shell cordovan is produced in only one factory in the United States. Alden & AE. I have a pair of Alden loafers the are the best durable shoes I have ever owned. I'm sure the AE are of the same quailty.

While I prefer Allen Edmunds, I think Alden might make the better shoe. But that is just splitting hairs. Either way, you cannot go wrong. Just picked up a pair of AE cap toes in calf skin. Possibly the most comfortable shoes out of the box I have ever had.

One other thing about U.S. Shell Cordovan:

"Horsehide has many unique properties, it is immensely strong and durable even in the extreme conditions and, unlike other hides, horsehide is naturally waterproof.

The Front Quarter Chrome Tanned Horsehide used in the construction of Aero leather jackets was favoured by manufacturers during pre-war years after the introduction, in the 1950's, of a law prohibiting horses being slaughtered for leather, hides became a scarce commodity and therefore expensive, resulting in tanneries phasing out horsehide production in favour of the more readily available hides such as steer.

US Government restrictions dictate that the slaughter of equine for hides was not permitted and as such the sourcing of hides must be from animals that have died from natural causes. This makes horsehide very scarce and as a consequence rare, which makes for an expensive raw material."

That might matter to some people. FWIW, Allen-Edmonds and Alden both seem to source their horsehide from Horween, which is the only U.S. tanner of horsehides.

I've had no experience with Alden but Allen-Edmonds is tops.

I had a pair of shell cordovan wing tips in my salad days. Not from Allen-Edmonds but they wore like iron.

FWIW, Allen-Edmonds and Alden both seem to source their horsehide from Horween, which is the only U.S. tanner of horsehides, but A-E S.C. shoes are about half the price of Alden S.C.. Of course, that's true for their calfskin, too.

Perhaps this is just splitting hairs, however, for accuracy's sake...

At Brooks Brothers, a pair of Alden bluchers is $398.00 in calf and $598.00 in cordovan. Allen Edmunds sells their bluchers for $325.00 in calf and $525.00 in cordovan.

Perhaps this is just splitting hairs, however, for accuracy's sake...

At Brooks Brothers, a pair of Alden bluchers is $398.00 in calf and $598.00 in cordovan. Allen Edmunds sells their bluchers for $325.00 in calf and $525.00 in cordovan.

No, you're absolutely right, I'll edit that out of my post. As I keep showing, I'm not as familiar with A-E shoes. The specific pairs I had seen were some A-E longwings in Cordovan for just north of $300 (those are still on Amazon for near that price) and a few pairs of A-E calfskin oxfords that were around $150, but I suppose they had been on closeout at the time or something. After looking at some more shoes, I find that the prices are much closer than I had realized. I wish I'd bought those oxfords now :rolleyes:

No, you're absolutely right, I'll edit that out of my post. As I keep showing, I'm not as familiar with A-E shoes. The specific pairs I had seen were some A-E longwings in Cordovan for just north of $300 (those are still on Amazon for near that price) and a few pairs of A-E calfskin oxfords that were around $150, but I suppose they had been on closeout at the time or something. After looking at some more shoes, I find that the prices are much closer than I had realized. I wish I'd bought those oxfords now :rolleyes:

I wasn't ragging on you :biggrin:! I just picked up a couple of pairs of AEs, so I am acutely aware of the prices. One should not by cordovan on a whim!

I am an Allen-Edmonds man for life. I have a narrow foot so I require the widths that AE provides. You can get great bargains by calling their factory or one of their outlet stores. Many of these they refer to as "factory seconds." I have not found a flaw in any of mine, though. You can even get a wish list and they'll call you when your pair comes in. I have four pairs and have not paid retail for any of them. Most of them for half or two-thirds the price! If you live long enough to wear out a pair, you can have them fully reconditioned for under a 100 bucks. Just like a brand new pair!

I don't think you can go wrong with either. AE Park Avenue Cordovan in black is one fine dress shoe. Kangaroo is wonderful leather, baseball shoes and Browning boots were at one time made from it and it is light, scuff resistant and durable.

"Kangaroo is a marvelous leather because it can keep a Kangaroo together."

I've never worn Alden, but I'll note that Allen Edmunds are a good choice if you have wide feet. A lot of other companies don't have a good selection of shoes in wide sizes. They are a bit pricey, however.

Another Allen Edmonds convert here. Had worn other mid-grade shoes for a few years (J&M, Rockport, etc.) before getting a pair of AEs. The AEs were more comfortable out of the box, have held up better and still take a nice shine.

Plus, after several years of wear, the reconstruction option is nice.

V

VR6ofpain

Allen-Edmonds are excellent. All their designs are classic and will never be dated. That said, they also do not have many that are very current/stylish. Still they make great shoes.

I, too, have worn Allen Edmonds for many years but have never tried Alden's. Alden's are just something that is not available around here (just like many shaving items).

One great thing about AE is their service, When you wear out the bottom of the shoes, you can send them to be rebuilt at the factory. They come back looking almost brand new, not messed up by some local hack shoe repair store.

But again, I have no idea how that compares to Alden's.

Tim

Top Bottom