What's new

tired of bourbon

OK i need to take a break from bourbon.now i need to figure out what to drink now and i think I'm going to go with rum.so far Ive tryed a couple different kinds of rums but nothing outstanding.anyone have any suggestions.

Try some blended scotch...Chivas, Grant Family Reserve, Ballentine's Finest, White Horse...good value.

Funny, I just started getting into american whiskey...

lol I'm not getting out of bourbon but i drank a lot of it last week on vacation.this weekend i just want something different.

Sacrilege! And to think that Gin Season just ended mere weeks ago. Bourbon is the seasonally appropriate beverage of choice in my house! Actually, when I tire of bourbon - which doesn't happen often - I switch to Armagnac.

Irish Whiskey is nice if you are bored with bourbon.

I'm also a fan of Jagermester

Grappa is firewater and nice.

However, theres nothing wrong with a good rum. I keep a bottle around myself for when I'm feeling the need to say "Yar"

While most of the line should be reserved to mixed drinks, Captain Morgan's Private Stock is a really good and affordable rum for strait drinking. You may find it's at the bottom of your list later, but it's good to get started finding out what good rum is. I have a bottle on hand actually.

Pyrat XO Reserve is another few steps up. Of my rum drinking friends this is commonly their go to rum. Not the fanciest or most expensive, but damn good.

Try a wet and dirty martini on the rocks.

Over cracked ice, add 2 Spanish Queen olives by Mario and a spooful of olive brine.

Use Noilly Prat dry vermouth (1/2 oz) and 1 1/2 oz. gin (Booths does just fine), plus 2 teaspoons of water and you're good to go.

I also suggest scotch... top shelf stuff like Oban, or Lagavulin.

I also enjoy rum though. I suggest Flor de Cana, the older the better. I also quite enjoy Brugal. Again, the older, the better.

EDIT: I just noticed the post about Irish whiskey, and there is none better than Jameson.

I recommend scotch too. I like all types of spirits, but the bourbon to scotch transitionis a smooth one. You can start out on really expensive stuff if you have the means, but there are really nice inexpensive bottles as well. McClellands makes a number of different single malts with distinct regional flavors at very reasonable prices. It's a good intro to scotch. Starting on less expensive bottles will really open your eyes to how nice the spendier stuff really is.

As a newbie to the shaving end, I'm still lurking...but booze I know. My bourbon is always Makers Mark with Perrier water. Like the bubbles. After dinner, usually Bols' Creme de Menthe. Special occasions, like a hot streak on the dice table, Grand Marnier 150. Other favorites, Sapphire gin Gibsons. Dirty Grey goose martini's and the list goes on. Over blown IMHO Remy's Louis XIII.

I also suggest scotch... top shelf stuff like Oban, or Lagavulin.

I also enjoy rum though. I suggest Flor de Cana, the older the better. I also quite enjoy Brugal. Again, the older, the better.

EDIT: I just noticed the post about Irish whiskey, and there is none better than Jameson.
+1 on Flor de Cana, winter is near when thoughts turn to rum.

Bushmill's Black Bush is a stellar, smooth Irish Whiskey that stays stocked in my cabinet at all times.

Moving from bourbons to Scotch, though, I'd recommend Balvenie Doublewood. It's my favorite single malt . . . just wonderful.

In rums, aged is the way to go for a rich taste unmixed on the rocks. Ron Pampero Anniversario (in the little leather bag) is a fantastic aged rum at a great price.

Sometimes I like to switch things up with a nice vodka, tonic, and lime. Texas vodkas (Patron, Dripping Springs) are nice, but Grey Goose is amazing.

NANP™

:c8: Bourbon and gin are seasonal?

The things I learn around here!:badger:

Of course! Gin season runs from Memorial Day to Labor Day. When it is socially acceptable to wear linen or seersucker one may freely imbibe gin without seeming crass. As the weather turns cool, out comes the bourbon, cognac and armagnac to help warm and soothe through hoary winter nights.

In all seriousness, back before I bore the full weight of being an adult, some of my regular drinking partners and I decided we needed to limit gin to just the warmer months. Drinking it year round was asking for trouble. Hell drinking it at all was risky. And there is something to a nice, crisp gin and tonic on a sultry New Orleans evening. Or a shimmering Martini.

Bushmill's Black Bush is a stellar, smooth Irish Whiskey that stays stocked in my cabinet at all times.

Moving from bourbons to Scotch, though, I'd recommend Balvenie Doublewood. It's my favorite single malt . . . just wonderful.

In rums, aged is the way to go for a rich taste unmixed on the rocks. Ron Pampero Anniversario (in the little leather bag) is a fantastic aged rum at a great price.

Sometimes I like to switch things up with a nice vodka, tonic, and lime. Texas vodkas (Patron, Dripping Springs) are nice, but Grey Goose is amazing.

NANP™

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1: +1 everything NANP said.

Top Bottom