What's new

Soaking Brush

Just wondering what's the logic in soaking the brush?... I've been wet shaving for just a few weeks now and I've a Col. Conk Pure Badger Brush. I've tried face lathering after just running the hot tap over the brush and also soaking in hot water throughout my shower. Haven't noticed any difference really?

Soaking allows a badger brush to absorb a lot of water to use in bowl lathering. If you face lather, you need to soak a brush just to get the bristles wet. You can then shake it out alot, start face lathering and then add water by dipping the tips as you face lather.

The more water the bristles hold the better lather the brush seems to make. There is a point of diminishing return. For me any more than 5 minutes does not seem to make a difference with my vulfix 2235.

Also warms up the brush a bit. Though they tend to cool down rather quickly so it's probably largely

psychodelic...psychotropic...psycholicious...

in your head.

I just do it because it's easier and saves time, not because there's a significant advantage to a long soak time.

As soon as I'm done showering, I can start face lathering with it, while the water's still getting hot enough again to fill the sink.

NANP™

Also warms up the brush a bit. Though they tend to cool down rather quickly so it's probably largely

psychodelic...psychotropic...psycholicious...

in your head.
proxy.php

I've found that soaking the brush and flicking the excess water out gives me better lather by swirling the brush over the puck in my mug (I don't get huge amounts of lather wasted in the cup that I have to rinse out).

If I don't soak it and flick it out, it's too dry, and if I don't flick it, it's too wet.

YMMV (your milage might vary)

The original thinking that I heard when soaking the brush was first discussed is that badger hair is hollow and soaking allows the hair to absorb the water.

My own experience is that the only real benift that I find with soaking the brush is that it warms it up.

Yea and there are plenty of people who will swear they have gone for a ride in a flying saucer. I let my brush run under the tap for 30 sec. and I have more lather than I can use in a shave.

i soak the brush when i am bowl lathering....keeps the lather warmer but depending on the brush you may want to shake some water out before you start lathering

Whatever about soaking the brush I found that it's really important to put some water on your puck for a while. The other night was rushing ad neither soaked the brush of puck. It was really hard to get my usual lather.

I noticed today that a small amount of hot water on the puck really softens the top layer of soap.

Top Bottom