What's new

Military-Style Hair Brushes

I have heard alot about military hair brushes and in my quest to find the right grooming products for my 40/50's hairstyle, I have read that the way the old school movie stars like Cary Grant and Errol Flynn had such shiny hair was by using these types of brushes, evidently having the bristles so close together allows light to reflect even better off of your hair and that the bristles stimulate the scalp and allow the natural oils to do their work.

What are you guys using?? I've heard about the Kent brushes, but I am looking for a less expensive alternative and want to know what you guys have experienced that use them.

Had to google what you were talking about. I was in the military and never heard of any special brush. Anyway here was the #1 google response. Basically a horse brush. I've played around with one and didn't care for it. As noted in another thread I like this:

attachment.php

Combs the hair nicely and massages the scalp to boot.

I am curious to see the responses. After reading the comb thread I was perusing the Kent site again. I have been looking at the brushes for a while and am closer to picking one up. Is there a functional difference between the black and white bristle?

I am curious to see the responses. After reading the comb thread I was perusing the Kent site again. I have been looking at the brushes for a while and am closer to picking one up. Is there a functional difference between the black and white bristle?

I actually sent a note to Kent and they said its just cosmetic.

If you want a Kent brush at good prices ($30 shipped for a brush that generally goes for $30 before shipping on the Kent site and for about $50 stateside), try their e-bay store where they sell seconds - cosmetic blemishes in the finish or a dark bit of grain in the wood and sometimes slightly softer bristles (the listing will specify this). A couple of guys have bought them and been very happy.

One day I'm going to pull the trigger myself.

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MENS-MILITARY-OVAL-WOODEN-HAIR-BRUSH-from-Kentbrushes_W0QQitemZ140267117549QQihZ004QQcategoryZ11855QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I have 2 Kent brushes, a small one for travel (white bristles) and a larger one for home (black bristles.) They are great brushes and worth every penny if you get them from their E-Bay store. The bristles feel wonderful on your scalp and they do add a shine to your hair.

I actually sent a note to Kent and they said its just cosmetic.

If you want a Kent brush at good prices ($30 shipped for a brush that generally goes for $30 before shipping on the Kent site and for about $50 stateside), try their e-bay store where they sell seconds - cosmetic blemishes in the finish or a dark bit of grain in the wood and sometimes slightly softer bristles (the listing will specify this). A couple of guys have bought them and been very happy.

One day I'm going to pull the trigger myself.

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MENS-MILITARY-OVAL-WOODEN-HAIR-BRUSH-from-Kentbrushes_W0QQitemZ140267117549QQihZ004QQcategoryZ11855QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
Thanks, Chris.

I have 2 Kent brushes, a small one for travel and a larger one for home. They are great brushes and worth every penny if you get them from their E-Bay store. The bristles feel wonderful on your scalp and they do add a shine to your hair.
Ok...Ok...order placed. :001_smile

The black bristles are stiffer and a little bit scratchier than the white bristles.

Thanks, Chris.

Ok...Ok...order placed. :001_smile

Way to go Bob, enjoy!

The black bristles are stiffer and a little bit scratchier than the white bristles.

Way to go Bob, enjoy!

Thanks, in the ebay store they do say the black bristles are a bit softer than normal. Maybe that is one of the reasons they get sent there? I guess if I want something a bit stiffer, I can just order one directly from Kent's regular store.

What are you guys using?? I've heard about the Kent brushes, but I am looking for a less expensive alternative and want to know what you guys have experienced that use them.

The prices on Kent's ebay store are pretty good. (I don't know how much you are looking to spend.) Maybe someone else will come along that can offer advice on some other manufacturers.

For the style you are going for, the Kent oval or rectangular brush is the *only* way to go. I've been using one for a couple of years now and I really love it.

Their higher-end brushes are spendy, but worth every penny.

This is the one I have:

Kent Brush

I'm sure you can find a less expensive copy-cat brush, but if you are like me you will enjoy owning a piece of similar quality to what was used in the 30's and 40's much more than a modern material piece of crap.

For that super sharp part look you'll also need a fine toothed, quality combo such as This One.

B R A N D X®;768746 said:
For the style you are going for, the Kent oval or rectangular brush is the *only* way to go. I've been using one for a couple of years now and I really love it.

This is the one I have:

Kent Brush

I'm sure you can find a less expensive copy-cat brush, but if you are like me you will enjoy owning a piece of similar quality to what was used in the 30's and 40's much more than a modern material piece of crap.

For that super sharp part look you'll also need a fine toothed, quality combo such as This One.

I agree that the handmade brushes are nice, but I suspect there's little (if any) difference between the expensive brushes and their cheaper brothers.

FWIW, I'm cheap and am currently using a boar bristle brush I picked up from a CVS for $6. Its plastic and not at all attractive, but it works every bit as good as I suspect the Kents do.

The key is that its a natural bristle brush - that's the only really important criterion, in my view. Natural bristles are much nicer on the hair and scalp.

May I recommend the Swissco

proxy.php

proxy.php

I looked at some of the other expensive brushes but this seemed a great deal money wise and it turned out to be one.Also go tht little version for the beard.

I agree that the handmade brushes are nice, but I suspect there's little (if any) difference between the expensive brushes and their cheaper brothers.

FWIW, I'm cheap and am currently using a boar bristle brush I picked up from a CVS for $6. Its plastic and not at all attractive, but it works every bit as good as I suspect the Kents do.

The key is that its a natural bristle brush - that's the only really important criterion, in my view. Natural bristles are much nicer on the hair and scalp.

You may be absolutely correct about hand-made brushes having little, if any, difference in terms of just getting the job done, but for me, using quality products makes mundane tasks more enjoyable. Clearly some folks take more enjoyment out of knowing that they are saving every possible penny. That's why some commute in Hondas and others in Porsches.:wink:

I justify by amortizing. After two years of use, my Kent has cost me about 11¢ per day for a brush that feels great in my hand and incredible against my scalp. The longer I live......the cheaper it gets.:wink:

Amortizing my Porsche is taking a bit longer in order to seem rational.:redface:

B R A N D X®;768746 said:

This is the one I have:

Kent Brush

$96.00 hmmm.... It does look like a fine brush indeed... but $96.00, that's almost as much as my 1st Fedora cost. I like the comb at $9.00 though.
So do you feel like the brush has helped your hair and scalp that much??
my next question is how does the brush hold up to pomaded or brillantined hair?? does it build up in the brush?

B R A N D X®;769133 said:
You may be absolutely correct about hand-made brushes having little, if any, difference in terms of just getting the job done, but for me, using quality products makes mundane tasks more enjoyable. Clearly some folks take more enjoyment out of knowing that they are saving every possible penny. That's why some commute in Hondas and others in Porsches.:wink:

I justify by amortizing. After two years of use, my Kent has cost me about 11¢ per day for a brush that feels great in my hand and incredible against my scalp. The longer I live......the cheaper it gets.:wink:

Amortizing my Porsche is taking a bit longer in order to seem rational.:redface:

Funny you say that Stu... I'm still driving my 2002 Honda Accord:cool: so I can afford all the little things that cost alot like my pomade collection, suits, hat's, Kent Hair brushes LOL!!
it does seem more affordable when you break it down to 11 cents a day though:wink:

$96.00 hmmm.... It does look like a fine brush indeed... but $96.00, that's almost as much as my 1st Fedora cost. I like the comb at $9.00 though.
So do you feel like the brush has helped your hair and scalp that much??
my next question is how does the brush hold up to pomaded or brillantined hair?? does it build up in the brush?

I know.....I know.......definitely a bit extravagant.:001_smile

It's hard to say how much if any it has helped my scalp, what I will tell you, and keep in mind this is about as unscientific as it gets, is that my hairline on my right side slowly started creeping higher at about age 36. Shortly after I bought the Kent (At age 40) it seemed to stop and stabilize.

*If* the Kent's stiffer bristled stimulation of my scalp had anything to do with that then ultimately it was worth a whole lot more than what I paid for it.:lol:

Honestly, in the past 18 months or so I haven't seen any additional hair loss.

The firm bristles of this style brush, and I imagine the same holds true for the inexpensive copy cat brushes, cut through the retro style pomade very well and are the perfect styling/sculpting tools for the hairstyle you are going for.

I thought I would see a build up of the pomade and figured I'd need to wash the bristles with shampoo periodically, but so far, this hasn't been an issue.

The ebony handle is mighty, mighty nice.:wink:

Funny you say that Stu... I'm still driving my 2002 Honda Accord:cool: so I can afford all the little things that cost alot like my pomade collection, suits, hat's, Kent Hair brushes LOL!!
it does seem more affordable when you break it down to 11 cents a day though:wink:

Oh.....so your plan is to retire some day? Interesting! I just thought I'd greet folks at Wal-Mart until the day I die!! Yep.....that's my Big Plan! :lol:

The good news is that my 2005 Porsche, while stupid expensive, is also now paid for so I'm driving a paid-for vehicle *and* it happens to be really fun!! Definitely cut in to my savings for 4 years though. I'll have to drive it until the wheels fall off, but again......it's all about justification through amortization. That's my story and I"m sticking to it!

Had to google what you were talking about. I was in the military and never heard of any special brush. Anyway here was the #1 google response. Basically a horse brush. I've played around with one and didn't care for it.

I think the "military" aspect comes from this brush being standard issue prior to your time in the service. I have never researched this, but have also, always heard this style brush referred to as a Military Brush. Maybe standard issue back in the 20's-40's?

Now I have to look in to it.:redface:

[EDIT] A google search for various phrases hasn't pulled up anything related to the history of the term, but does yield many links to purchase "Military Hair Brushes" all of which are variations on this oval handled style, stiff bristled brush. I'm still thinking it was part of the SI DOP kit at some point........WWII perhaps?

I'm going to post the query on The Fedora Lounge as to the historical origins. One of those guys will have a specific answer.

[EDIT....again] Let's see what results we get from TFL

Top Bottom