What's new

Proper Technique

I have noticed that different people use different methods for holding their razor. One says hold at the end like a dart, another says find the balance point and hold it there. Out of curiosity how do you hold your razor when shaving?

I have noticed that different people use different methods for holding their razor. One says hold at the end like a dart, another says find the balance point and hold it there. Out of curiosity how do you hold your razor when shaving?

umm in my right hand.... but seriously.

I hold it down low on the handle I think that gives me more control for the shave..

Fuzzy

I hold it down low on the handle also. I don't know that it gives me more control but it ensures that I don't use too much pressure.

I've often taken notice that I tend to creep my holding point to just under the head. I know that's not 'techincally' correct, but that's how I get my best shaves! Just call me Mr. Weirdo I guess.

Thumb on one side of the barrel, three fingers spread about a half inch apart on the other side. Thumb is about 2/3 to 3/4 down the length of the barrel (Merkur 38C) towards the end. Loose grip. Great control in any direction. None of this means anything without pics. As suggested, find what works. I tried gripping the very end of the barrel (as suggested by a B&B great - Kyle) and it didn't feel right for me.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

There's only one right way to hold it, EVERYONE ELSE IS JUST PLAIN WRONG! :biggrin:

Just kidding, the real answer is, "it depends". I change my grip for different parts of my face and different directions. Try multiple techniques and use the ones that work best for you.

For some reason it is intresting to me how much of this stuff is personal preference. The basics are there, but how you apply them seems to be individual. But we all have a common hobby and intrest that brings us together. Just to throw that out there.. not to hijack the thread.

Fuzzy

There's only one right way to hold it, EVERYONE ELSE IS JUST PLAIN WRONG! :biggrin:

Just kidding, the real answer is, "it depends". I change my grip for different parts of my face and different directions. Try multiple techniques and use the ones that work best for you.

Bingo! I have no idea how I hold mine. It varies greatly from area of face to model of razor. When I'm using my 1920 Bulldog I have much more weight to control than when I use a 40's Tech or a 30's New.

Top Bottom