What's new

Couple of questions about TOBS creams

I would be interested to know if anyone else has difficulty with TOBS lather drying out. I use a generous dollop (about the size of the top half of your thumb, for want for a better point of reference). I spend about a minute making the lather, adding about 2 teaspoons worth of water and all seems just dandy when it goes on my face. Then mid-pass (I usually do 3) I start noticing skin coming through the lather which I understand is a sign the lather is drying out. However, if I add any more water when making the lather it goes rather runny (can drip off my face).

Any ideas where I may be going wrong? I have two tubs of this (Lavendar and Mr Taylor) which I think I may not be getting the best out of.

I've actually started to use Palmolive cream recently as it makes excellent lather which seems not to dry out. It's also considerably cheaper (£1.50 a 100ml tube compared to the £10 total for the 200ml tub of TOBS) and I can buy it at the supermarket. Seems odd to me the cheap stuff is easier to use!

Final question which is more out of curiosity - what's the purpose of scented soap or cream? To my naive view it doesn't seem to serve any if you're going to put scented aftershave on top of it. Unless it's just to give a pleasant olfactory experience during the shave.

A general thanks to everyone who helps out "newbies" like myself (been at it since May according to my online purchase receipts!).

I would be interested to know if anyone else has difficulty with TOBS lather drying out. I use a generous dollop (about the size of the top half of your thumb, for want for a better point of reference). I spend about a minute making the lather, adding about 2 teaspoons worth of water and all seems just dandy when it goes on my face. Then mid-pass (I usually do 3) I start noticing skin coming through the lather which I understand is a sign the lather is drying out. However, if I add any more water when making the lather it goes rather runny (can drip off my face).

Whenever that happens to me, I just relather mid-pass. Also experiment a bit more with your ratios, you should get a good mixture somewhere in there. Additionally, I find that superlathers don't dry out on me at all, although YMMV.

Final question which is more out of curiosity - what's the purpose of scented soap or cream? To my naive view it doesn't seem to serve any if you're going to put scented aftershave on top of it. Unless it's just to give a pleasant olfactory experience during the shave. .

Thats about it. Who doesn't like pleasant olfactory experience when they shave? :w00t:

Speaking of TOBS and scents, I tried TOBS Almond this morning for the first time and it was fantastic! I never knew I liked the smell of almond paste until around six this morning.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

I also find this happening to me every now and again (as it so happens, also with Mr. Taylor). I found it usually happened because I was just plain old going too slow. If that is not the case, then I just do as Milton said, and re-lather.

Also, I am in agreement with others here, and believe that a shave just isn't a shave without a scent that you enjoy, and can immerse yourself in. It brings a whole new dimension to the experience.

Welcome...:001_smile

Yeah I started out with TOBS too but apart from the smell which is really good it's not really up to scrap for shaving imho...I found them to not be that effective as people make out. Like yourself I found Palmolive which is pretty good and actualy used it for many months post my TOBS experience...:smile:

My go to shaving cream/soap is now Proraso though. The stuff is really good and quite cheap £4.99 for a tub of Proraso soap cream and it lasts pretty much lasts forever. Honestly you just cannot go wrong with it. Lathers well and doesn't dry out the skin, leaves your skin feeling tingly and conditioned and is probably one of the only products out there that hasn't changed or will change. It does the business without having to be marketed in a poncy manner.

I also find this happening to me every now and again (as it so happens, also with Mr. Taylor). I found it usually happened because I was just plain old going too slow. If that is not the case, then I just do as Milton said, and re-lather.

Also, I am in agreement with others here, and believe that a shave just isn't a shave without a scent that you enjoy, and can immerse yourself in. It brings a whole new dimension to the experience.

Sweet MacGyver profile pic.
proxy.php

Hahaha, that's an awesome pic. You can't read the caption on my avatar, but it says "Fighting Crime With Science." I like to try and live my life by that motto. :biggrin:

Hey there! Could you tell me where you get Palmolive cream in Scotland? I live in Aberdeen and would love to be able to find something cheap locally. PM please:)

I started with TOBS creams and am now using C.O. Bigelow (aka almost Prorarso) just for something different. In my experience, it sounds like your problem is you're actually using too much water. The lather is being diluted and spread too thin. Once the water starts to evaporate you're not left with much actual lather and that's when your skin starts to peak through.

I believe two teaspoons is way way too much water. I actually don't add any water at all. I soak the brush while showering, then shake out the excess. The only water that goes into my mix is the moisture that's actually in the brush. On rare occasions I may need to add just a drop or two of water. When I say a drop or two, I mean litterally that; I wet my hand and let only single drop at a time drip into my bowl from my finger tips.

On my second pass, I usually have to add two drops of water as described above. On my third pass I do the same but go one step further. Because my third pass is ATG with blade buffing it takes much longer. I only lather one half of my face at a time excluding the upper lip/chin area which I seperate into its own third area to be lathered last of all. If I lathered my whole face all at once for my third pass, the lather would be dry and flaking off halfway through.

I agree the previous post. If you are soaking your brush and give it the proper shake your cream should make a nice lather without adding any more water. I would suggest some practice of that.

I started with TOBS creams and am now using C.O. Bigelow (aka almost Prorarso) just for something different. In my experience, it sounds like your problem is you're actually using too much water. The lather is being diluted and spread too thin. Once the water starts to evaporate you're not left with much actual lather and that's when your skin starts to peak through.

I believe two teaspoons is way way too much water. I actually don't add any water at all. I soak the brush while showering, then shake out the excess. The only water that goes into my mix is the moisture that's actually in the brush. On rare occasions I may need to add just a drop or two of water. When I say a drop or two, I mean litterally that; I wet my hand and let only single drop at a time drip into my bowl from my finger tips.

On my second pass, I usually have to add two drops of water as described above. On my third pass I do the same but go one step further. Because my third pass is ATG with blade buffing it takes much longer. I only lather one half of my face at a time excluding the upper lip/chin area which I seperate into its own third area to be lathered last of all. If I lathered my whole face all at once for my third pass, the lather would be dry and flaking off halfway through.

I agree the previous post. If you are soaking your brush and give it the proper shake your cream should make a nice lather without adding any more water. I would suggest some practice of that.

I honestly don't understand how you guys are getting a good lather that way. Without water how are you even getting lather to mix up, let alone provide a slick and moisturizing shave? Hey as we always say, to each his own so I'm not criticizing; if it works for you great. I just don't see how is all. Where's the 'wet' in wet shaving that way?

After the brush soak I give two or three shakes, the 1/2 to 1 tsp. of water that I placed on my soap puck gets put in the lather bowl and using the finger sprinkle method I add in another 1/2 to 1 tsps. roughly (never actually measured). Plus which during the shave I know stray drops of water are hitting the bowl as I slosh about. No problem; I just whip them into the mix. This recipe whips up a perfect batch every time. Very slick and very hydrating. Well, we all have our way and every way is a bit different.

I honestly don't understand how you guys are getting a good lather that way. Without water how are you even getting lather to mix up, let alone provide a slick and moisturizing shave? Hey, as we always to each his own so I'm not criticizing; if it works for you great. I just don't see how is all. Where's the 'wet' in wet shaving that way?

After the brush soak I give two or three shakes, the 1/2 to 1 tsp. of water that I placed on my soap puck gets put in the lather bowl and using the finger sprinkle method I add in another 1 to 2 tsps. roughly (never actually measured). Plus which during the shave I know stray drops of water are hitting the bowl as I slosh about. No problem; I just whip them into the mix. This recipe whips up a perfect batch for every time. Very slick and very hydrating. Well, we all have our way and every way is a bit different.

The water comes from the brush itself, plus whatever residue is left in the mug I was soaking the brush in after I dumped it out. If I add any more water than what I mentioned, I end up with soup or suds. Looks like a bubble bath.

Welcome to the clan. I lived in Scotland for couple years in 1960's (was stationed in Edzell, Scotland). My wife is a native of Falkirk, Stirlingshire. Great country and great hospitable people. As for TOBS creams they can be a bit drying but I always get a BBS shave with them. Just whip up a well-hydrated lather in a bowl and always apply to a freshly wetted face. Add a few sprinkles of water and whip some more after first pass to keep lather hydrated. I have 5 different scented tubs. Lavender is one of my favorites. Great cream for the price (!3.50/tub) here in the states. Just work on it till you get the right cream/water ratio.

Top Bottom