What's new

Help!!

Well, I already on my 4th wet shave using DE and well, the results aren't amazing. Thought I am not judging because I know it takes time to get use to the razor and learn the method. Well, my problem is that there is no one to show me exactly how to shave and what not to do. Especially around my chin area. Not to mention my face is very rigid and every time I go from cheek to neck, I end up cutting myself. >>>>Please see attached images.<<<<

Any suggestions on what I should do or how for me to improve my blade to skin contact? I am never sure whether the angle is right now not and my shaves aren't smooth.

Thanks

Don't shave for few days, take your face pictures with grown hair...examine
how your hair grows... Do max 2 passes with the grain for couple of weeks...
no pressure on the razor and make sure lather thick and not dried on your face you should start getting good results...

rohman, please describe these pics...

were they taken before or after shave? or later in day? generally speaking, for just starting out, they look decent....

Give it time. Your technique will get better and so will your shaves. It took me at least two weeks to start getting good shaves and another two to do so in a reasonable time.

highre said:
Give it time. Your technique will get better and so will your shaves. It took me at least two weeks to start getting good shaves and another two to do so in a reasonable time.

I agree. IMO...You seem to be getting along pretty well Rohman!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Also, has anyone ever used black opal after shave lotion and is it any good or should I stick with nivea or go get some proraso balm?

rohman

rohman said:
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Also, has anyone ever used black opal after shave lotion and is it any good or should I stick with nivea or go get some proraso balm?

rohman

I've not used black opal, but so far....of all the ASB's I've used the one that really stands out is Weleda ASB. My review is here

Disclaimer: YMMV

the more information you give the more we can help you. pics are always great though but need explaining to go with them. for instance although the pics dont look bad for DE#4 i do see some irritation but im not sure how much of it was caused by the De or what you used to shave with. here are some questions which may give these guys more to help you with.

how did you shave before the DE?

what are you doing for prep? ie what do you do to your beard before you shave it? (this is where the battle is won or lost)

what cream are you using? how do you make the lather? what does the lather look like?

what razor and blade are you useing? how often do you change the blade?

what grip do you use on the razor? are you making sure not to use any pressure at all?

how many passes and in what directions do you make?

are you making sure to stretch the skin?

what do you do after you shave?

i know this is alot but any one of these could be the culprit. if i had to guess though i would say that you are trying too hard to get a smooth shave. you are probably applying too much pressure at too steep an angle or are takeing too many passes or going against the grain.for me the easiest ways to cut myself is to apply pressure or go against the grain with a beard that either isnt preped or too long (causing me to accidentally apply pressure). not stretching the skin also will cause cuts.

the best advice i can give any new DE shaver (I belive I learned this from scotto. have bad memory) is dont try to get a close shave. try to get the most comfortable shave possible. take your time relax and enjoy the shave. just do two with the grain passes at first and once you have that down do one with and one across the grain pass. stay away from against the grain until you have atleast a few weeks under you. if you dont get all the stubble dont worry about it. keep going for a comfortable shave and your technique will improve and the clossness will happen all on its own.

wow this is a long post. sorry to take so much of every ones time.
best of luck on your path to the perfect shave.

matthew

Top Bottom