What's new

Stone handled shaving brushes?

No, I'm not in the market for another shaving brush... *lies* :lol: Well, not immediately, but I was wondering about marble handled (or even faux marble) shave brushes.

It'd be heavy, I know, but I kind of fancy the look. I had briefly toyed with somehow making my own using a blank of this Tru-stone stuff but it seems like a lot of work just for the heck of it.

Can anyone recommend anything (for future reference since I don't need another brush...do I?)

Found this one. Not really sure if thats what you're after. It might not be what the patricians used in the morning before heading to the forum, but it isn't that bad either :001_smile

But it seems that it is possible to turn stone, so the dream lives on I guess...

I think you want some balance to the brush, and that's why I think handles have been made from acrylic or wood, horn too. I suspect stone would be too heavy for whipping lather in a bowl. Maybe for face lathering.

Have you looked at Superior Brushes? These brushes are made by a couple of firefighters in New Mexico. They turn the handles out of the acrylic material that is used to make solid surface counter tops. I have one of their brushes . . . it is a very good knot mounted in a handle that is surprisingly good to grip and it looks very nice. Obviously, it's not actually stone, but it is extremely hard and, in some of the patterns, would look much like stone.

They have various colors and patterns of color shown on their website. They have some standard shapes which they show but will make a custom shape to your sketch also.

I've had my Superior for about a year and I've been very happy with it. It hasn't shed a single hair. I use several brushes in a rotation, so it gets used about once a week or so. Before I got it, I was afraid it might be a little handle heavy, but it really isn't.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks for all the help guys, I do like the lighter handles but I also like my travel Vulfix with the gold metal handle. I like weight to my shave brush handles too.

I bought a brush from Penworks today, he had this nice looking badger hair brush with a 'white turquoise' handle in Tru-stone (kind of reminded me of white marble).

I'll keep the other suggestions in mind though, never can have too many brushes! :blushing:

----------

Tom, how 'heavy' would you say your brush is versus say a 24mm badger hair brush with the standard sort of resin/plastic handle? You've got me looking at the Superior Brushes site now.

Michael, I have a Shavemac with about the same size knot, but the handle I chose for the Superior brush is about 2-1/2 inches high, whereas the Shavemac handle is a little under 2 inches high, so there would be quite a bit of weight difference even if they were both made of the same material.

I've weighed them on a postage scale and found the Shavemac to be just over 2 oz. and the Superior to be just over 3 oz.

I also have a Vulfix with this size knot. It's handle is only about 1/8 inch taller than the Shavemac but it weighs a little over 2-1/2 oz.

I hope this gives you some idea of the weight delta, but without having the same shape and height handles, it is all a little imprecise. All things factored in, I would say that the material on the Superior is, perhaps, 25% heavier. I don't find it uncomfortable to use at all.

Regards,
Tom

I'll agree with Tom about the Superior brushes. I have three of them and they are among the best brushes I have, including a Polo 8, PJ2, T3 and a Shavemac. The handles are totally unique and will last for generations. None of their brushes have lost bristles, and their performance will compare with anyone's brushes. They only thing they don't have is the name and the history.

Top Bottom