What's new

single edge shaving

I am thinking of trying shaving with a single-edge "Gem" that I have had lying around. Anyone try out SE shaving. Is it not too different from DE shaving? Looking at the blades makes me wonder if it might not be "brutal"?

I had my first shave with one (G-bar and Ted Pella blades) last week. It is diff. from the DE because it is at a diff angle. You have to keep the top flat on your face. I had good results on my face, but didn't get the closeness on the neck and chin I was looking for. I do believe I will be able to get just as good shaves with one as a DE but, it will take a few more tries.

OHHHH get to say it again... I LOVE MY SE MICROMATIC... I get better shaves with the Gem then with any of my DE razors... Right from the first time I used it... And I use cheap-o CVS blades. The angle is different as stated above... but once you get the hang of it.. woohoo!!!!!

Fuzzy

it is different from a DE. your angle range is far less. keeping the head of the razor either flat on the face or just off the face is key to getting the optimum use of this particular razor. if you need any help, let me know.

it is different from a DE. your angle range is far less. keeping the head of the razor either flat on the face or just off the face is key to getting the optimum use of this particular razor. if you need any help, let me know.

Oh and just an an aside to Dave there.. I made a deal on that 1912... will be sending the MO in the morning WOOHOO!!!!!

Fuzzy

I now return you to the actual subject of this thread.:biggrin:

Those Kampfe razors that Ray showed us are gorgeous, but I've yet to go with a bold enough bid to score one from Ebay. If I do finally get one, I suspect I will feel the need to get a blade whipped into shape and try the razor out, but I really doubt that a wedge blade razor is really what Springerswimmer had in mind when he made the original post here. :001_smile

Assuming we are talking about a single edge razor using a thin blade with a reinforcing spine, I wholeheartedly agree that you should try out your Gem.

As Scotty, Fuzzy and Dave all point out, it is a little different from a DE. Just note their pointers on the subject of the angle and then stick to it and you'll soon get the hang of it. If you are like many of us, you'll be converted to the SE. :wink:

Regards,
Tom

Those Kampfe razors that Ray showed us are gorgeous, but I've yet to go with a bold enough bid to score one from Ebay. If I do finally get one, I suspect I will feel the need to get a blade whipped into shape and try the razor out,
Tom

One just ended with no bids for 39.99 +
I got back to it to late or it would have been in my pile....:frown:

Ray, was there something unusual about the way that auction was titled or something that put it under my radar? I missed it altogether and I usually do watch them pretty close and bid on many of them.

Regards,
Tom

Ray, was there something unusual about the way that auction was titled or something that put it under my radar? I missed it altogether and I usually do watch them pretty close and bid on many of them.

Regards,
Tom

Tom, I did'nt anything unusual about the title. I'll keep you in mind when others come along.

I believe this is a 1912. how much would you pay for this?

proxy.php

These Gem threads are making me feel all warm and fuzzy.:001_smileAbout time they got a bit more coverage.They're wonderfull shavers.Cheers Phil.:wink:

Morning, gents.

All this talk about how great the Gems are made me go out & buy one.

I'd love for one of you knowledgeable guys to let me know exactly what it is I've purchased. :blushing: And also to advise me on blades for this thing (If anyone would like to part with some extra blades so I can check this thing out properly, that would be great. Happy to send you some cash.). I normally use Feathers with my DE.

Thanks very much!

1912 model, ornate handle, the heaviest of the 1912s.

if youre in a rush to try it out, your CVS or rite aid will have blades on hand that will probably last you about 3 to 4 shaves.

blades i would recommend otherwise would be: ted pella gem blades, PAL super single edge, and gem blue star (these dont last as long though)

dont buy hardware store blades. if you do, youre an idiot :wink:

shave with it either flat against your face or with the head plate just off the face. youll be able to figure out which is right for you pretty quickly. the learning curve is different than a DE, so stick with it.

Top Bottom