What's new

INFO! The barbershop, politics, gentlemanly behavior - and you......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright ladies/gents - I'm embarrassed to say the recent outbreak of ungentlemanly behavior and relentless political debates (99% of the time between the same small group of 10 or so people about essentially the exact same thing) has gotten to the point whereby we've received so many complaints, we can no longer sit back.

There are fellas here who only participate in the barbershop - and primarily political threads (and do so in a way which irritates others), if you look at their post history, you literally have to go back hundreds of posts to find even one related to shaving. While this is the "barber shop" this is NOT a debate tournament, nor is this a political forum. There are are over 20 public forum sections on this site - and with a quick glance you can quickly/easily tell all but 1 or 2 directly relate to the name and topic of the site.

The bottom line - even in a barbershop... you've got to get your hair cut at some point or they'll ask you to leave. This is not a "free speech" forum, and has never pretended to be - the barbershop exists to shoot the breeze among friends... not to purposely argue the same topic 30X, intentionally get a rise out of others, or generally be a jerk. It's also not the primary (or even secondary) reason to be a member of this forum..... B&B is not about pushing personal agenda's, promoting your own beliefs - or arguing about 'em. It's a forum about gentlemanly pursuits.... if you're here to battle politics, please - go elsewhere.

Just to be clear - very civil and gentlemanly discussions on current events/politics are welcome - however arguments are not (no matter how right you are, or think you are - you'll NEVER change someone's opinion on an issue on a shaving forum, and in the history of B&B it's never happened once on a political issues) ungentlemanly, rude, antagonizing or insulting behavior of ANY kind will not be tolerated.

If those who only participate in political threads continue to argue the same 3-4 issues relentlessly, we'll turn off their ability to see/read/post to the barbershop entirely. Further, if we as ADULTS cannot act in the manner expected, and with the courtesy we would give our friends/neighbors face to face - ALL political/religious discussion will go the way of the dodo.

Frankly the two aforementioned topics, not germane to the vision of this site have caused 4X more problems for the mod team than ALL other topics combined, and it's getting tiring to see the same small group, battle over the same 3-4 things month after month.

If you come here to discuss gentlemanly pursuits - this should not and will not affect you - even RE: the political threads. If you come here to argue, or talk politics "get your hair cut" and take a permanent break from these threads/topics or we'll send Timmy after you... and he's not known for his compassion. Ladies/Gentlemen.... you've been warned - and the expectations and consequences have been clearly laid out.

For personal reasons and my sanity I tend to keep away from political threads as much as possible, and I agree you have raised some good points here Joel.

If you come here to argue, or talk politics "get your hair cut" and take a permanent break from these threads/topics or we'll send Timmy after you... and he's not known for his compassion. Ladies/Gentlemen.... you've been warned - and the expectations and consequences have been clearly laid out.

Nooooo!!!!! not TIMMY!!!! I'll be good, I promise!!!

... B&B is ... a forum about gentlemanly pursuits.... if you're here to battle politics, please - go elsewhere.

Hear, hear!

... if we as ADULTS cannot act in the manner expected, and with the courtesy we would give our friends/neighbors face to face - ALL political/religious discussion will go the way of the dodo.

IMHO, make it so #1.

There are fellas here who only participate in the barbershop - and primarily political threads (and do so in a way which irritates others), if you look at their post history, you literally have to go back hundreds of posts to find even one related to shaving.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this....I'm also glad that the mods were aware and preparing to deal with it. I come here to take a break from the stress, political strife, and the overall environment of seeing the human race at it's worse that accompanies my chosen career. Hence, I generally stay out of the Barber Shop unless the topic is a light-hearted one. I enjoy the occasional debate as much as the next guy, but when you see members who clearly are here for that purpose as evidenced by the ratio of their posts, you wonder "why is this guy here?". I've thought to myself, "Does this guy even care about shaving?"

I've enjoyed the conversations even with those I've disagreed with.The wetshaving has always been an underlying commoness of habit here stemming from an attraction to simplicity.I generally read much more in the shaving section than I post because there is just so much I have to add to a straight razor, a brush, and some soap. I guess shaving is just not that complicated to me after a certain point. One can only consume so much soap and aftershave.
I thought I'd been civil, however I have been made to feel unwelcome by those who for whatever reason wish to dictate what I say here even within the confines of the posted rules, based on post count. Apparently the time has come for me to go as indicated by those who do not share my views.

It's been fun, I appreciate the patience of the moderators and wish you all the best. Goodbye and good shaving.

Being a relative noob to the DE aspect of wetshaving, I enjoy reading what other noobs are saying and going through in their quest for a damn good shave.

Hear,hear, I agree. There are dedicated sites for bombastic bloviating where one can butt heads with willing combatants and there is no risk of collateral damage to the civility of the site. Get your kicks over there, and come here to relax and catch up with the shaving side of life. (I sincerely doubt that anyone has changed anyone's political viewpoint due to a heated flame-war, most strident personalities are so strident to reassure themselves that they are right.)

I thought I'd been civil, however I have been made to feel unwelcome by those who for whatever reason wish to dictate what I say here even within the confines of the posted rules, based on post count. Apparently the time has come for me to go as indicated by those who do not share my views.

It's been fun, I appreciate the patience of the moderators and wish you all the best. Goodbye and good shaving.

While I do agree with the call for civility; I would hate to see you go. I enjoy your take on issues even though they run counter to my own. I do hope you reconsider.

Thank you very much for this post. I've been getting more and more irritated with the negative attitudes and behavior that have sprung up in the barbershop over the past few weeks, especially with regards to the political threads. I enjoy a lively and spirited discussion as much as the next gentleman/lady, but many threads have gotten so volatile that I didn't feel comfortable sharing my honest opinion. It's a shame when folks can't express their viewpoint because of the aggressive, ungentlemanly behavior of others. Thanks Joel (and the rest of the mods) for saying something.

This thread, and Bow leaving on his own, will definitely go a long way towards cleaning up the general "ill will" vibe that's been permeating the Barbershop lately.

Good call Joel.

Alright ladies/gents - I'm embarrassed to say the recent outbreak of ungentlemanly behavior and relentless political debates (99% of the time between the same small group of 10 or so people about essentially the exact same thing) has gotten to the point whereby we've received so many complaints, we can no longer sit back.

Obviously, I'm one of the 10. I sincerely hope that my strong feelings haven't been expressed in ways that others find insulting or ungentlemanly, and apologize if I crossed over that line at times. Some of the other 10 are quite knowledgable and gentlemanly, and it would be a shame if their voices ceased to be heard here. As you know, I generally don't start threads, but I hope I'll be able to respond to future posts so that more than one viewpoint can be presented. I'll certainly be more vigilant of my tone.

Does this mean I have to start posting in the colognes section?

I hate cologne.

Reigning in the animosity is long overdue. Good show. Now come over and enjoy the Anything thread; no politics allowed, and we have a pet bunny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom