What's new

INFO! The barbershop, politics, gentlemanly behavior - and you......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to have to agree here. Its going to be tough to keep political talk civil because politics right now are not civil. Politicians can't be civil, the media can't stay civil, and neither can regular people. Most of the political posts here don't even start off as civil, the titles are even inflammatory! I can be civil while discussing politics even with those that disagree with me (most of my co-workers and bosses are from the opposite party and we discuss politics in the office but we always walk away happy) but its impossible on these posts! And yeah, like an idiot I get caught up. Sometimes its tough to keep your mouth shut when someone is saying something about a politician you like that you believe is a lie. These are not issues (healthcare, taxes, defense) that are being discussed, its just junk. I just don't want the hard feelings to bleed over into other parts of the site. At the very least don't let them appear on the home page, the last thing I like to see when I come in here to decompress a bit is an inflammatory post (or 2 or 3) on the home page. Half the time I leave more annoyed than when I came in.
here is a thought. how about no politically talk on this site. go to a political site or start one of your own.

A true barber will ask you to leave if you start to offend others. We don't want to see this happen here, but it would be great if everyone kept their thoughts a little more brief.
Hopefully this reminder will help.

Dang, I read this after posting in another political thread. Oh well. I think it's time to end the political topics too, even though I post in them regularly. They do nothing but cause discord between what should be friendly conversation between people who have something in common. Oh well again.

Ok how about those who do not wish to hear it stay out of those threads.

Limit the wording of the political post to no harrasing or downgrading titles.

You have the choice of clicking on the thread or not.

I do not drink alcohol or smoke, therefore I do not open threads about alcohol or smoking. There are plenty of alcohol and smoking related threads in the Speakeasy section, but that doesn't bother me. There are other topics in the Speakeasy to read that I do like (food, coffee, books, etc...).

The Barbershop also has threads that I like (Picture Tag, Guess that Movie, Fantasy Football and many others) and threads that I don't bother opening (Linux Mint, Muppets, A Week without Limecat).

I don't understand why people that do not like political threads even bother opening them. Can't they skip over them and click on something they like? There seems to be something here for everyone (at least for now).

No offense, but that's a bad comparison. There is nothing inflammatory about posts on cigars or fantasy football. The titles on those posts aren't going to make you so mad that you are compelled to read them.
I do not drink alcohol or smoke, therefore I do not open threads about alcohol or smoking. There are plenty of alcohol and smoking related threads in the Speakeasy section, but that doesn't bother me. There are other topics in the Speakeasy to read that I do like (food, coffee, books, etc...).

The Barbershop also has threads that I like (Picture Tag, Guess that Movie, Fantasy Football and many others) and threads that I don't bother opening (Linux Mint, Muppets, A Week without Limecat).

I don't understand why people that do not like political threads even bother opening them. Can't they skip over them and click on something they like? There seems to be something here for everyone (at least for now).

Why should I have to alter my forum experience because people want to sling mud? If you don't have anything nice to say, maybe you should keep your hands busy elsewhere and not post ridiculously inflammatory pablum that serves no purpose other than to ruffle feathers. I should be able to go someplace as innocuous as a wetshaving forum and not have to worry about a bunch of useless nonsense.

I'm no moderator, but I think that the fine folks here at B&B having to go over every potentially offensive post with a fine-toothed comb to make sure there's nothing scathing in it is completely dumb. We all have brains and I'm pretty sure that if we have the mental capacity to scrape sharp metal against our faces, we have the mental capacity to not act like circus animals toward one another.

I have the choice of clicking on the thread? Yeah. I do. Others also have the choice of not using the warm blanket of anonymity that the internet provides to make an otherwise enjoyable forum a pain-in-the-rear-end. The moderators and founders of this forum work tirelessly to make sure that we have a respite from other flame-happy websites that talk about this, that and the other, not to mention the fact that through their continued work this forum is not only free, but it sometimes pays us for being here (The B&B Carnival, PIFs from members). Acting like a jerk for the sake of doing it is not just petulant, it's a slap in the face to those that provide us with such a great forum. This is a website for gentlemen, and if you don't want to act accordingly, the internet is a big place.

As a moderator it is part of the job to monitor all threads in your forum (or as many as you can) so it's part of the job, we don't have a choice.

And secondly, for all standard members, someone shouldn't have to avoid a topic, just because someone else insists on being obnoxious. It isn't just the reader who makes a choice when clicking on that thread. :rolleyes:

Why should I have to alter my forum experience because people want to sling mud? If you don't have anything nice to say, maybe you should keep your hands busy elsewhere and not post ridiculously inflammatory pablum that serves no purpose other than to ruffle feathers. I should be able to go someplace as innocuous as a wetshaving forum and not have to worry about a bunch of useless nonsense.

I have the choice of clicking on the thread? Yeah. I do. Others also have the choice of not using the warm blanket of anonymity that the internet provides to make an otherwise enjoyable forum a pain-in-the-rear-end. The moderators and founders of this forum work tirelessly to make sure that we have a respite from other flame-happy websites that talk about this, that and the other, not to mention the fact that through their continued work this forum is not only free, but it sometimes pays us for being here (The B&B Carnival, PIFs from members). Acting like a jerk for the sake of doing it is not just petulant, it's a slap in the face to those that provide us with such a great forum. This is a website for gentlemen, and if you don't want to act accordingly, the internet is a big place.

I have been in many of them and have learned quite a bit from others who have completely differing from mine. Had i not have been in there and heard what they said and clicked on the site they mentioned i would be less informed and of the same opinion as before or more seated in what i beleive than before. Mudd slingin is bad and some are bad apples. One thing ive noticed that alot of people posting there beleifs without the baility to back them up have usually been the ones saying we should end the political posts. Not saying you as you usually back your comments up aand ive found some of them lead me to sites that ive found good information about current representatives. The wide range of topics on B&B keeps me on here(to my wifes disappointment) all hours of the day. Where i give out advise, rewspond to barbering questions, and find out what the other end of the world ate for breakfast. This is a global site and like to hear not only american views on politics and the world but what others country's think of the same topics.

I have gotten into knock down drag out arguements with some on here only to find them in another post praising my insite within a post or 2. I have even had some travel to me and get a shave and talk about it in person even agreeing to dis agree. It is hard to find people to discuss your views with people on the other side of the issues and enjoy the debate. If you see a derogatory thread towards your views it gives you the opportunity to stand up for yours and enlighten those who may have not realized something aout why you ythink that way.

We live in a complacent world in which people do not want to know what is going on in it. As long as we dont talk about it it will only get worse. I for one would rather debate someone opposite of me than have one with someone always agreeing to what i say. I learn nothing from people of the same mind as me. The whole reason i found this site was to argue a point about how Barbers in fact do learn to shave in school, Barber schools do exist, and we do not learn on a balloon. Use it as your way to express your self not as a way to silence others.

I'm no moderator, but I think that the fine folks here at B&B having to go over every potentially offensive post with a fine-toothed comb to make sure there's nothing scathing in it is completely dumb. We all have brains and I'm pretty sure that if we have the mental capacity to scrape sharp metal against our faces, we have the mental capacity to not act like circus animals toward one another.

Thank you for calling us dumb because we have an opinion that may differ from yours or that we have one for that matter. You should have the self control to stay out of a post or take the heat if you enter one.

The differance between us and animals is that we have the will to go against our own animal instincts and control what we do. Enter at own risk. If you cant take the heat stay out of the kitchen.

Oh no someone said something id idnt like so i looked at there thread and then they said more i didnt like and yelled at me when i told them they were idiots. Of course they are going to do that and ofcourse you are going to hear more you dont like when you click on it.

I dont like the news half the time and if they irritate me i change the channell. I dont complain to the news station and say hey you know what i dont like your political part can you get rid of it? Hey i dont like it when im changing channels and pass a political debate can you get rid of that on those channels please.

Name is Farrell

Work at

Key Lime Barber Salon
2009 Highland Avenue
Louisville, Ky.

Come in get a shave or a haircut and if you would like to talk about politics great if not we can talk about something else. I can talk intelligently about politics and concede when i should and keep a calm presence as i do so. Agreeing with your points or disagreeing either way. I am a gentlemen and as a gentleman talk about politics and am informed of my sorroundings and government, I beleive in debate, courtasy, helping the weak, defending the defensless. I beleive that it is a gentlemans duty to stand up for what they beleive in and to give respect to others views and afford them the ability to speak there mind. If i dont like the conversation i excuse myself from it or change the subject. I do not as a gentleman and a free citizen ask others to shut up because i over heard there conversation and didnt like its topic as this is un gentlemanly.

As a moderator it is part of the job to monitor all threads in your forum (or as many as you can) so it's part of the job, we don't have a choice.

And secondly, for all standard members, someone shouldn't have to avoid a topic, just because someone else insists on being obnoxious. It isn't just the reader who makes a choice when clicking on that thread. :rolleyes:

I agree some. Probably me most of the time. Make stupid baseless remarks but others make insightful ones. Personal attacks are the problem. Gentleman should be able to debate the issues and stay gentleman

here is a thought. how about no politically talk on this site. go to a political site or start one of your own.

I like this place and am on here because of the wide range of subjects and the people. I respect most of the regulars opinions and foresight into matters that mean something to me on a wide rnage of subjects. If it were just about shaveing at thats all i would have probably left long ago. But i come one here because i want to know my friends on here's opinions on these matters. This is like a neiborhood for me and most on here and the barber shop is B&B where we discuss everything. If you go to a barber shop everything possable is talked about. Same goes for here.

As far as personal attack people. You just personally attacked anyone who has been in those threads. If i remember correctly you have posted pleanty yourself and have gotten bashed a few times about bashing others in them. Complain all you want if your not involved but dont complain about what you yourself are doing.

What is the word for this definition:

Someone who complains of others what he himself does?

Joel,
Thank you for restating the mission of this forum.

Every organization, be it social, business or government needs to remind itself every once in a while why it exists, lest it lose sight of itself.

I agree with your statement, but even more important is that you've stood firm on, and clarified for some, the mission of the forum.

Roger

Thank you for calling us dumb because we have an opinion that may differ from yours or that we have one for that matter. You should have the self control to stay out of a post or take the heat if you enter one.

The differance between us and animals is that we have the will to go against our own animal instincts and control what we do. Enter at own risk. If you cant take the heat stay out of the kitchen.

Okay. Let's try this again.

I didn't call anyone dumb. If you would kindly look at my post I said the idea of B&B moderators sifting through offensive threads looking for insults is dumb.

Second of all, it's the freaking internet. Enter at your own risk? Take the heat? From a post? Come on now. It's not intense, it's not high-stakes excitement, it's annoying. There comes a time when you have to ask why people do what they do. If you're on a forum about one thing and keep seeing other people flap off at the mouth about another, you smell a rat. It's a waste of forum space and time. The moderators don't like it and because I am respectful for the work they do to make this place run smoothly, I don't like it either.

Farrell, I think you're a stand-up guy. You offer free shaves to forum members that would happen upon your shop, and you give valuable advice from a barber's perspective. But if you were trying to shave someone and two people in your establishment were squabbling over liberal this and conservative that and hurling insults like they were children, I'm pretty sure you'd ask them to leave. I, like many others, want this forum to be a nice place to be. When you have the tripe that's been batted back and forth here lately going on, it isn't a nice place to be. It's as simple as that. Being standoffish and somehow trying to imply that the people who aren't being jerks are somehow at fault for wanting this forum to be filled with nice people saying nice things is absurd.

Gents now this very discussion is turning into a push and shove match. A couple months ago I got mildly ticked about a certain thread being locked, and I voiced my displeasure as did some others. My thinking at the time was who are these guys to limit our speech and determine what is acceptable conversation. Especially considering I've donated to the cause I thought. Upon some later reflection however, I came to understand the thinking behind their decision. I don't frequent any other forums on the web for all the juvenile delinquent behavior and language. You've all seen them. Filled with internet tough guys flaming everything and everybody. With 10k members I think the staff here are doing everything in their power to prevent that from happening at the B&B. They don't want to see it degenerate into yet another internet cesspool.

To my knowledge no current political thread has been locked down, and you can still post in them to your hearts content. The point being made is to what end? In all liklihood no one will influence the mind of another so really they are nothing more than opinion threads. To the disinterested outsider (myself) the handful of people that try to dominate those threads believe their opinion is superior to all others. They come across as very arrogant and narrowminded in defense of their positions, and that is not conducive to proper debate or gentlemanly behavior.

It has been stated time and again the goal of this site is to discuss shaving and other gentlemanly pursuits in a friendly manner. So while we may not agree with all the decisions being made, I think the intended goal is for the good of the site and its serious members. Recognize this caution flag for what it was intended which is a reminder to keep a civil tongue. There's no putting the bullet back in the gun so it's time to accept the message and move on.

EDIT:
PS: To clarify. I do not believe that everyone who contributes to the politics threads is arrogant . Only that certain posts have that vibe.

I agree some. Probably me most of the time. Make stupid baseless remarks but others make insightful ones. Personal attacks are the problem. Gentleman should be able to debate the issues and stay gentleman

Your tone is angry, argumentative and my patience is low. You've missed the entire point of the exercise... it's not to stop political discussion - but to stop aggressive, argumentative, blood pressure rising posts like you've just been laying down.

Time out for Farrell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom