What's new

Generic DE blades

I just finished a pack of DE blades I bought from the local Publix supermarket here in Georgia. They carry no name except for the supermarket's on the packaging, and the dispenser and blades are devoid of any brand markings as well. I have also noticed similar blades for sale at the Walgreens as well. The blurred ink on each blade says "made in u.s.a." I have only been DE shaving for about a month now, and these were the only blades available when my Gillette came in the mail. Does anyone know who produces these blades, or anything about them for that matter? They worked well enough for me to learn the basics so far. I have received my west coast sampler now and will be starting with the merkurs next week. I have included a pic, and am simply curious. Best, -RC

I have some that say American Safty razor company on the card board not the actually tin. Maybe that can help.. they actually work great for me

Fuzzy

I found a package at my local Family Dollar that look identical. At first I thought they were US made Personna's. I turned the package over expecting to see American Safety Razor company/made in the USA. To my surpise they said made in Israel. Are these also Personna's? Should I have purchased them?

I'm reasonably sure that they are, in fact, made by ASR. They make some in the same dispensor with their own name on the cardboard packaging, and it appears that they are also brand naming them for all the major drug store chains and, I suspect, others.

Of the blades that say "made in USA" on them, if you look at the blades and the dispensor, they all look identical and have no name on them. Only the printed cardboard packaging is different.

I really question whether anyone besides ASR is making DE or SE blades in the U.S. currently. I suspect someone here, like LetterK perhaps, has more factual information about this.

Regards,
Tom

I remember looking for the American Safety Razor Company on the back of the pack I found at family dollar but it wasn't there. Also, FWIW,the back of the package didn't have the Made in Israel sticker attached to it like in the above thread. Instead it was printed on the back.

4 arrow personnas, made in the US, they actually skipped on my skin, horrid blades, avoid like the plague,

Look like some Personna's I picked up at Walgreens. The packs that say "Stainless Steel Blades" (yours) were pretty brutal to my face. The packs of Personna's at Walmart, labeled "Platinum Chrome Blades", seem to be a little better. I'm pretty sure they're made by the same company, as everything is identical on the packaging other than the letters, even including the patent label for the used blade storage.

If nothing else, keep the pack for the used blade storage... works great.

Look like some Personna's I picked up at Walgreens. The packs that say "Stainless Steel Blades" (yours) were pretty brutal to my face. The packs of Personna's at Walmart, labeled "Platinum Chrome Blades", seem to be a little better. I'm pretty sure they're made by the same company, as everything is identical on the packaging other than the letters, even including the patent label for the used blade storage.

If nothing else, keep the pack for the used blade storage... works great.

I agree. I bought "Lowe's Foods" branded personnas in both platinum chrome and stainless (they were on sale). The platinum ones were easily 10 times better than the stainless ones.

the platinum blades I found to be a bit better. However, I would keep these blades in the catagory of these or no shave at all. Honestly if I went through airport security and my good blades were confiscated I might be more tempted to pick up a MS then those things.

OK to get the idea, but overall horrid.

The blades in question are distributed by American Safety Razor, afaik made in Tennessee and probably the same as American-made Personnas. With a very good prep, they give an ok shave in an oddball razor of mine, a three-piece Cooper. The ones with the Made in Israel sticker should be the eqivalent of Crystal blades, which are made in Israel at an American Safety Razor owned plant.

-Clarke

the platinum blades I found to be a bit better. However, I would keep these blades in the catagory of these or no shave at all. Honestly if I went through airport security and my good blades were confiscated I might be more tempted to pick up a MS then those things.

OK to get the idea, but overall horrid.

Boy, you were right. I just finished shaving with a merkur blade and literally took ten years off my face...and not in the good way. The merkurs must be ten times as sharp at least. Yep...horrid indeed.

actually, i couldnt get a nice clean shave with merkurs, it would be like there was a little bit of grain left you cant get rid of,

I have a package of those which I bought in case my Derbys don't arrive in time. Mine are branded with the local drugstore name - I'll have to check where they were made.

So now its day 2 on the Merkur blade which seems to be slightly wider(blade edge to blade edge) than the generic. I'm still cutting the crap out of myself. I set my fatboy on 5 when I got it and put in the generic blade. I came to use 5 simply because it was the number in the middle. It seemed to work fine with the generic as far as no cuts, but now not so much. I'll plan on dialing down. Has anyone else had this issue as far as switching blades and keeping a constant setting?

Dorco (Korea) have also started making blades for store brands. I believe that ASR is suing them because the packaging is so similar. The Dorco-made blades will have "made in Korea" printed somewhere on the package.

I believe I have seen these recently in a CVS. The CVS DEs were marked "made in Korea" and the plastic dispenser was different than the personna dispenser. On cvs.com, the dispenser is of personna type, not the one I saw.

Top Bottom