Go for a disposable.
A 3 dollar pen works better than all my +50 dls pens. It leaves any mont blanc pen I have tried in the shadows and crying.
Second place comes Lamy for a -50dls. Their Stainless Steel nibs are as stiff as they can get, but then again, you asked for a FP for a beginner. Their very good flow compensates for the stiffness.
Shaffer, Waterman and Pilot are close third. They are very good but a bit more expensive. Also it can be very difficult or impossible to find them with XF or F (Extra fine) nib. Basically the smaller your handwritting the finner the nib you want.
Japanese and Chinese FPs are elegant and inexpensive, but they have some QC issues. Most are great, but some are a headache.
I am sorry to be the naysayer Texican but I also have to tell you this. Reasons for not using FPs.
- They get lost a lot.
- They get "lost" a lot. Lost as in "hey! I lost a pen just like that last week. It looked just like that... HEY!"
- They depend on the quality of the paper you are using. I have tried the best brands of inks. I have tried the best indie inks in the world. No matter what I use, the ink will smear on the standard paper we use at school and work. This is the main reason why I stopped using FPs
- Accidents happen. 99% of the time you will be the coolest guy with a fp (and I know you are not after this image, but still), the other 1% :
- FPAD will bite you. There is no way around it. They are more addictive than Tobacco and Chips together.
There are roller-ball pens out there that are just as comfortable, and a 100 times more convenient. They may not have the timeless elegance of a FP, but in a school timeless elegance is not as appreciated as one would think (I guess I should not be saying this to history professor... sorry :))
Last edited by Isaias; 09-14-2008 at 07:17 PM.
"Shave daily, if at all possible, even if you have to use a piece of glass to do it.
Even if you have to give your last piece of bread for it"