What's new

Fountain Pen for a beginner

Try buying new-in-box Parker 21 or 51 on ebay. A medium nib would probably be better, but if you want a fine nib go with it. Also, there's some websites that sell those as well.

A couple of thoughts:

1) If you tend to lose pens, then keep your FP in your desk - put it in the same, place all the time and you won't be as likely to misplace it.

2) I have a good selection of FPs, including several higher end pens - in my humble opinion, the Lamy Safari is the best starter pen currently on the market. For $20 - $25 you get a well-built, cool pen with a great steel nib (in a variety of widths) and one of the best converter systems out there (the internal syringe that lets you use ink from bottles). In addition to being great writers, they come in a bunch of fun colours, a clear model and some aluminum models (which cost a bit more).

The Safari is one of the most bulletproof pens I've ever used (I've had my two for more than 5 years) - they write great, they start up just fine even after sitting for a bit and they're not fussy about ink brand.

The only downside is that the grip has some flat spots in it to improve grip, but if it doesn't fit your hand, you might not like the way it feels. That being said, the Safari is a very popular pen and its fair to say that the grip works for most folks.

If you want somenting less contemporary in design, then the Waterman Phileas isn't bad, but it has increased in price as of late and I don't consider it a to be the value it used to be. The one thing to be aware of is that the Waterman nibs run wide - so look for one with a fine nib.

One other vintage suggestion is the little talked about Parker 21 - its a less expensive version of the venerable 51, I managed to score a NOS "Super" version off of e-bay a couple of years ago for about $15 and its a super little pen with great art deco styling.

For $20 to $30 there's no harm in trying out an inexpensive FP, but if you do and you get hooked, the next thing you'll notice is that you're comparing different papers, inks, say nothing of looking for that next FP!

Have you considered a fairly inexpensive pen like the Hero 616s that show up on Ebay (usually in 10 packs). It's a Chinese company that has a wide variety of pens but the 616s are sort of the lower end. Mine writes fairly well (a little scratchy) but it writes decently (I use Pelikan Brilliant Brown in mine) but I picked up one of these packs for about $20 (including postage). They look like the Parker 51s and are aerometric (you squeeze the ink sac to fill). Plus, with 10, you can afford to lose one once in awhile. :tongue_sm

Be careful, though. Between gifts and my own purchases, I have about 18 fountain pens (Parkers, Watermans, Pelikans, etc... plus some vintage fountain pens from the 1930s and 1940s I was given and that I found in antique shops (2 for $5.00 each)). Darn, I didn't realise I had FPAD too.

Well, There are also many valid reasons for not shaving with a straight razor. I ignored all of them as well. :smile:

Well someone had to present the other side of the coin. I used to beileve that if I had an FP they would get lost less frequently... Big mistake.

Back on topic, another advantage of Safaris is that they are not as heavy as some other FPs and they are quite ergonomic too.
Let me also recommend the sheaffer calligraphy set. The Small nib can be used for everyday writing and it looks VERY nice. It costs like 15 dls.

A friend of mine trades with hisnibs.com and is very satisfied. He recently purchased this one and likes it a lot; says it is very smooth even on "ordinary" paper.

I haven't used a fountain pen in decades, but I am thinking of getting the Unfall Old Man -- suits me in more ways than one. :biggrin: I would use it with my Moleskine notebooks.

A Waterman Phileas is probably the most inexpensive way to try a fountain pen, but I never cared for mine much. A Pelikan 200 is slightly more expensive, but is a very fine pen. I find I reach for it most often, even though I have a collection of higher-end pens. It's a great everyday writer with a quick piston-fill mechanism. I probably didn't need to buy too many pens after my Pelikans...

I have a Waterman Phileas and a Pelikan M200, and I like them both. Me being a tightwad, the Pelikan with a custom italic nib is my most expensive pen. The Phileas is much better with the fine nib than the medium nib (if you can only find the medium, they will exchange it). The absolute cheapest way to get started with a fountain pen, though, to see if you like it, is probably the Parker Reflex, which is not much to look at, but writes well for under $10. Unfortunately, it only takes Parker cartridges (not standards), and a converter is more expensive than the pen itself.

While there are some good Chinese pens, the quality of the nibs are very inconsistent - I've had several Heros and none of them wrote worth a damn - even after attempting to smooth them out with very fine grit sandpaper. The nibs were also very narrow. I ended up throwing them out.

A good used Parker 51 aerometric (even a plane jane one) will cost way more than a NIB 21.

While most folks who are experienced FP users will likey prefer the gold nib of the 51, newbies will be quite happy with the 21 - especially the "Super" variant, which is a great everyday writer.

I'm looking at fountain pens as well. You all have talked me into getting a Lamy Safari, but I'm not sure if I want the medium or fine nib. Can anyone post a sample of either so I can see which I prefer?

I've collected fountain pens for about 12 years, and have about 90 right now.

If you want to go for a new pen, the Waterman Phileas is okay, though the plastic body feels kind of slippery. A Pelikan 200 is a nice step out, but a decent chunk for a "trying it out" pen. Lamy styling is a matter of taste.

I think the easiest way to go is to pick up a vintage Esterbrook pen, which fills by lever, and goes for about 15 - 25 bucks. The Pentrace website has a sale forum, and if you put out a wanted to buy ad, you will be flooded with offers. Esties are workhorses and at 15 bucks, practically disposable.

Or you can barter with me. If you have any decent creams, I might just send you an Estie for your trouble.

I don't know. I used to lose pens all the time until I started using fountain pens. On the rare occasion when I would lend a fountain pen to a friend to jot something down, I'd always keep the cap, to keep him or her from straying too far.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Namiki Vanishing Point. Excellent and extremely user-friendly pen. A medium is a normal width, their fine is pretty darn fine. They take cartridges or piston. I've got about 40 FP's, and this is the I use most.

That said, modern disposable rollerballs are really strong performers as well. A Rotring 600 rollerball will take a G2 cartridge - that's a very strong combination.

You aren't going to find a decent one for under$80, without shipping.

I like them (have 4, including the coveted black matte "stealth" and the equally cool mandarin yellow).

Some people do not like the fact where the clip rests when they grip the pen. So it's not something I would buy without first trying to hold.

I was looking really to suggest cheaper ways to dive into FPs. But no doubt, the VP is a great pen.

My everyday FP's are a Vanishing Point and a Safari (both med. nibs). Both are great, but the medium nib on the Safari runs a little bit wet for me. Start with the Safari and if you like it (and don't lose it!) pick up a Vanishing Point. As for your nib, see if there's a pen store in your area and if you can test drive them there.

I'd agree about the VP. I have one and am pretty happy with it. The price and clip are the two points against recommending one, though. (Does anyone know why they don't make the clip location adjustable?)

I have a couple esties, and they are workhorses, but (personal preference only) I don't find them as enjoyable as some of the other recommendations.

Something I think I forgot to point out, is that fountain pens have far more variability than your average ball point pen. By that, I mean in terms of size, weight, balance, nib, and ink.

A trip to a local pen shop will allow you to try different pens and get an idea of what you enjoy. Undoubtedly, your tastes will change in time; but, this should help get you to a solid starting point.

I think this is why (aside from the huge amount of quality pens out there) there are so many opinions about what pen to start with. Of course, you could start with one of the most rare and desirable pens ever crafted:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51636&hl=\kitty-e\

While there are some good Chinese pens, the quality of the nibs are very inconsistent - I've had several Heros and none of them wrote worth a damn - even after attempting to smooth them out with very fine grit sandpaper. The nibs were also very narrow. I ended up throwing them out.

My friend didn't like his Hero so much, but the other one I cited is much better. Good feedback on nib quality variability. HisNibs aligns every nib before it goes out.

Top Bottom