What's new

Watch Wearing

Do you sport a watch?

• I wear a watch

• I don't wear a watch

• I use another personal timepiece

Results are only viewable after voting.
This random thought just popped into my head, and I thought it would make a nice diversion poll from the hurricane and election. I used to wear a watch everywhere. Then one day I just stopped for no particular reason that I can remember. I think I might have suffered irriation around my wrist, but it's honestly been so long I forget. I dabbled in pocket watches for awhile because they are novel and kind of cool, but they end up being more trouble than they're worth. We don't really wear clothing condusive to them anymore or at least I don't.

Besides everywhere you go the time is available: computer, cell phone/PDA, car, bank sign, mall clocks etc., etc. In spite of everything I could see buying and wearing a watch again someday; many are very attractive. Anyway cast your ballot and if you want, post a pic of whatever you're sporting. I'd like to see them (price would be good to know too).

I wore this for 12 years
proxy.php

Now I wear this
proxy.php

But most of the time I don't wear a watch at all.

Both are nice. Why go from a Rolex to a Seiko? Isn't Rolex pretty much the pinnacle of commercial watches?

I bought the Rolex in 1972, actually owned it for 21 years. I paid $365 for it and sold it in 1993 for $6500. Since it was a gift from me to me, it had no sentimental value. If I had a son rather than a daughter I would have passed it on. I've had a number of watches over the years and still own a few "better" watches but Seiko's and similar are just fine for me at this point in my life. I'm past middle age and remaining time is more important to me than the current time.

Tempus fugit

I used to be one of the guys that only used the cell phone to tell time. After a while, not only did I miss the feel, but I missed the look of a finely made wrist watch.

My daily watch is a Beuchat, that I picked up in France about 10 years ago. It is a true double chronograph, and has three sub dials on the face. Unfortunately I can't find a picture online, but it is quite a nice watch. It is a little different in the fact that I can turn the crown to switch functions, and all the of hands move separately. Stop watch, countdown timer (with buzzer), regular time, a usable tachymeter, and even an alarm. I love it because it looks quite classy, and I've never seen another like it. I was shocked about a year ago when I took it to have the battery replaced at a jeweler(half of which won't even consider touching a double chrono)... Apparently the guy at the store was a watch collector, and liked it so much that he offered to trade me for one of his vintage Rolex! I almost agreed, but I just couldn't part with the watch.... plus it is the only surviving souvenir I have from that trip.

I certainly wear a watch, and I have a weakness for grand complication mechanical watches. My favorite is my Breitling Astromat 1461; less than 1000 made. An almost perpetual calendar (except on leap years), with chronograph and moon phase. And more an automatic mechanical watch, it keeps time wonderfully.

Currently wearing an Omega Planet Ocean 45mm:

proxy.php

Love it - it's my favorite piece. Also have some Suuntos, Seikos, a Breitling, and a few others; saving for a PAM111.

Not a watch wearer. I never liked the feeling of having one on my wrist, I like the naked feel. I have a cell phone that can tell me the time, and I unfortunately am leashed to it 24 hours a day for work.

It is the next great generational divide. Notice how few young folks are actually wearing watches. The only ones that do are runners, bicyclists, and tri-athletes.

Awesome! I'm a young folk!

Think I'll start wearing pants down around my *** and get a girlfriend with lip rings. :tongue_sm

Not really.

proxy.php

I've learned that I can't wear a watch with a battery in it. They all seem to die on my very quickly. Something strange with the body chemistry or something. So I've had this "self winding" watch for about 5years now. It works great and it keeps a 'charge' for a very long time.

Tim

M

modern man

I do.

Work requirement (well not really).

Casio G shock.

When I am not at work I don't usually have one on. I do have a Kenneth Cole Reaction but it never gets any use.

I R young folk.

Still getting used to this one, just picked it up a few weeks ago. It's the first kinetic I've owned. For some unknown reason with previous watches, when the battery dies, the works die along with it.

I also wear a pocket watch on lodge nights and special occasions.

I always wear a watch, feels strange not to have one on.

Some days I wear this one:

full

And on others this:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom