What's new

Sanitizing?

My razor arrived today and the auction i bought it from had said it was cleaned and sanitized. . which it was, looked great. I boiled it for a minute or two and shaved with it. That's all i really needed to do right, even if the guy didnt really sanitize it? Boiling for a minute or two i would think would kill anything on it

Boiling a razor is fine as long as it is not gold plated. The gold plated razors are lacquer coated and boiling will melt this coating.

As far as sanitizing and sterilizing your razor, you should use cleaning solution that will kill off any bacteria and BBP's. Your best bet is to use a produce called Barbicide, this can be found at any barber supply house such as Sally's.

As far as sanitizing and sterilizing your razor, you should use cleaning solution that will kill off any bacteria and BBP's. Your best bet is to use a produce called Barbicide, this can be found at any barber supply house such as Sally's.

Is that degree of sterilization really necessary for a DE type razor? A Straight Razor, I can defiantly see it, but right now, I'm considering the DE razor body to be kinda like the handle of a fork at a restaurant.

*shrug*

Clean it, by all means, but I'm still not sure what degree of sterilization is really necessary.

I sanitized my straight with boiling water, then lysol, then Isopropyl Alcohol followed by a Methyl Alcohol.

Considering the fact that i practically took a layer off the surface with the polishing i've done thus far... i'm thinking i'm pretty good

Barbasol comes the next time i find a good barber supply house in my area.

According to SWMBO, who is a nurse, boiling for a minute is all you should need.

I posed the same question to one of my rep (I am an EMT) and I was told as I stated above.

Like I said, for $5.00 why chance it. I am 99% sure that there would be no issues but if your the nervous type then...

I also sell razors on occasion and I want to be sure they are good to go.

You want to gable? Go for it. By the way, you should not boil gold.

Better safe than sorry my dad always said.

Boiling a razor is fine as long as it is not gold plated. The gold plated razors are lacquer coated and boiling will melt this coating.

+1 with the barbicide.

I use Scrubbing Bubbles to clean off the gunk, then drop the razor in Barbicide. I'm a little of a germophobe, though. It doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution.

I learned from somewhere that Scrubbing Bubbles is a good way to clean razor. It seems to get off a lot of junk. I'm not sure if it sanitizes the razor though.

Read in another thread to mix 1 part bleach to 9 parts water. I tried that today with a "new" razor I just got via USPS today. The razor seemed to be very clean when it arrived, but figured that mix should kill anything. Didn't seem to affect finish on the '51 Gillette SS at all!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
As folks say "better safe than sorry". I'd point out that a barbershop is a different environment from your home bathroom. . . er at least I hope so. In a barbershop there are multiple customers in rapid succession so there is a risk of transferring a virus between people before the virus dies from being exposed to air. Pretty much all viruses die fairly quickly in a clean dry environment. Aids is a very delicate virus and dies very quickly whereas herpes can last a few hours and Hep B can last up to a week. So if a razor is clean and has not been used in a couple of weeks it should be fine. 1/10 solution of bleach will kill Hep B . . . rubbing alcohol will not according to what I've read. My advice is exactly worth the 0 cents paid for it.

Top Bottom