What's new

Which DE razor can shave closer than a Fatboy?

I had a gold Gillette Aristocrat, and then switched to a Fatboy which for me gives a closer shave.

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which razor might be closer than a Fatboy?

Thanks! :001_smile

I personally don't like the gillette adjustables that much. If you want the ultimate close BBS shave, I suggest a merkur 39c slant on a barberpole or merkur Futur (and it's adjustable).

I personally don't like the gillette adjustables that much. If you want the ultimate close BBS shave, I suggest a merkur 39c slant on a barberpole or merkur Futur (and it's adjustable).

I have both a Fatboy and a 39c slant. For me, it's turning out that the Fatboy has the edge (so to speak) -- but the slant comes close. As with everything else here, YMMV.

I own a Fat boy.

It's a great razor, but I found it would irritate my face more than my new Merkur HD, which I use everyday now. The HD, for me, has been more effective and more gentle on my face than the Gillette.

Sometimes I switch back to the Fat boy, because it's just an amazing feeling to use something from 1958 (my razors year). I may end up changing my mind again though. lol.

This sort of question which comes up from time to time seems kind of weird to me because I can get a bbs shave from all my razors - tech, superspeed, slim, rocket, aristocrat, etc. - as long as I have a decent blade in them, hold them right, and use them right, and take the time to get a decent shave. It seems like getting a good shave is more down to me and the blade as long as my razor is a half decent one, which pretty much all the vintage Gillettes are. I'm sure I could get a great shave from a Merkur as well.

My Futur gives the closest DE shave that I have found, but my Gem G Bar and the Gem featherweight shaves as close if not closer for me and there is no blade buffing to be done the the Gems and they're cheap as hell to buy on ebay.

My Merkur HD seems to easily give me a BBS every time. I used my Toggle for the first time set on 5 and it was very agressive with a Derby blade and was quite satisfying!

If you want the ultimate close BBS shave, I suggest a Single Edge GEM. They give the close, comfortable shaves the Merkur Slants try for.

-- John Gehman

Almost any Merkur DE will shave better and closer than the Fatboy.

I have never found it to be a great shaver, although I have often thought it might be the coolest looking, nicest designed razor of all time. Its fantastic to look at but a mediocre performer.

See, here you are not actually looking for a closer shave. It is you RAD speaking.

Truth is you can reach shave-nirvana with the fatboy, the arist. with a humble tech and super speed.

Didn't ever shave with a fatboy nor with any other Gillette but my closest shave comes from the Múhle-pinsel R89, followed by the Merkur 37G (slant). In fact closest means needing less passes to obtain a DFS.

The answer is simple. The one that has the sharpest ( Feather ) blade that removes the hair and leaves the skin.

Never liked the Gillettes.

I've tried several Merkurs and would take any Merkur over a Gillette SS razor. While I think the Merkur Classic and HD are great razors, the Futur was a revelation to me and is my daily shaver - I get consistenly great shaves from the Futur.

I had a gold Gillette Aristocrat, and then switched to a Fatboy which for me gives a closer shave.

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which razor might be closer than a Fatboy?

Thanks! :001_smile

What setting are you using on the Fatboy?

Top Bottom