What's new

What is hair tonic???

I have been using Truefitt and Hill car cream for about a year and it has worked great. However, I can't seem to justify spending 40dollars (Canadian) every other month. So I went on classic shaving and found hair tonic. I went on google and typed in hair tonic and found no information on what it is or how great it is. So my question is what is hair tonic and is it better than gel for people with curly hair?:001_smile

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It's basically a mix of alcohol and scent, with usually some glycerine (or oil) thrown in for added improvement to the hair.

You apply it sort of like aftershave, except that once it's on, you keep lightlyrubbing your hair back and forth until it's dry. You get a little bit of volume, a little bit of control, and (depending on whether there's oil or glycerine in there) a little bit (or more with oil) of conditioning of the hair to make it less frizzy.

I've had good luck with Royal Crown Hair Dressing & Brylcreem as I prefer the Slicked back look. That being said my hair isn't curly so I am not sure how they'd hold up.

I've had good luck with Royal Crown Hair Dressing & Brylcreem as I prefer the Slicked back look. That being said my hair isn't curly so I am not sure how they'd hold up.

I've used Royal Crown many times and I mixed it with the same (brylcreem)or Wildroot to get a real slicked back pompadour, my hair is real straight. Now I occasionally use it on nights or weekends to get a real slick- 50's parted business cut. (less maintenance than the pomp). My girlfriend made me cut back on Royal Crown cause it did get on furniture and pillow cases etc... she didn't like the smell.

I am a fellow curly. I love Truefitt and Hill C.A.R. cream (I wrote a review here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=28087) and it is my second favourite styling product. My all-time favourite is LUSH 'Big Tease' styling gel, which i find even better in performance, hold, smell and price. I wrote a review for it here (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=48929) and would thoroughly recommend it.

I also recommend their Squeaky Green solid shampoo bar (no SLS so it's gentle, smells great too, doesnt leave my hair in a dry mess like most shampoos, even expensive ones) and their H`Suan Wen Hua, which is a deep conditioning hair treatment. I use this deep conditioner in lieu of shampoo most times and it does wonders for my hair. It contains eggs and vinegar, among other things, but smells great. Since hair is made of protein and eggs are a good source, it seems (and feels) like i'm doing something good for it.

check out their store, seems a bit girly, but they say their founder is a trichiologist by trade and their hair products are the best i've ever owned, and about half the price of some things i've bought.

If you're curly i really recommend trying the combo i suggested. Please get back to me by PM if you do, it has worked wonders for me!

Top Bottom