What's new

Anybody use conditioner to wash face and soften beard before shaving?

Just curious on this one....anyone using a light, "organic" (as in not a lot of chemicals, etc.) hair conditioner to wash your face and soften the beard before shaving. This would obviously be done while in the shower, shaving right after.

Yea, most days I use conditioner. I use mostly Trader Joe brand conditioners, either the Citrus or Spa lines. They work great for me.

-Mason

I just continue with the head and shoulders I use, both shampoo and conditioner. It's just a natural extension of my hair washing, it really softens my hair, as my beard grows slowly, it seems make shaving quicker, easier and strangely closer.

Tom

I tried it as a preshave tool, and it's great.

But I've never thought of using conditioners as a face wash. They must be good for dry skin

Every so often I use conditioner. I think it works. I'll continue this until I get some T&H preshave oil or proraso pre. But this works pretty good for now.

TBH I have tried a couple of shaving/preshave oils and I always come up in bumps, plus when you're rushing to get to a lecture, quickness and ease is the way to go.... however having read that greta article I can see some points not to use it, however, once my face is lathered up (I face lather), pretty much anything clinging to the hair will have much gone.

ATB,
Tom

Just curious on this one....anyone using a light, "organic" (as in not a lot of chemicals, etc.) hair conditioner to wash your face and soften the beard before shaving. This would obviously be done while in the shower, shaving right after.

Yes, do it all of the time. Seems to really soften the beard.

Tried that this morning with results that didn't suggest continue or stop. On would think that this would be a great pre shave, however...

I use it and then apply some preshave oil or proraso pre/post while I lather. It seems to help. I do like the hot towel treatment, but that seems to take up time I'd rather spend actually shaving.

I use a cheap Target brand conditioner when I have more than a day's worth of beard growth. Seems to work (when I remember to do it).

A Fro??? :eek:

View attachment 31519

I tried the conditioner route and didn't like it. I use Every Man Jack pre-shave from Target (Not cast in stone--I would use another if I could easily get it). I also use the shave soap/cream itself. Work some of the sudsy pre-mix lather into the beard and then whip up the finished product. Rinse and reapply. By far the best beard softening technique I've used.

Noxzema is a good, cheap preshave and it won't strengthen the hair like some of the ingredients in conditioners. You can find it for $4 or so.

Top Bottom