What's new

Too Many Passes?

How many passes does it take most of you guys to get a close shave. I can get most of my face in 3 passes but my jawline and under my chin take upwards to 6 to get even remotely close. Is this a technique problem or is this normal? Should I crank up my slim adjustable in these areas? My skin doesn't seem to mind the areas that take me 6 passes it just seems odd to me that everything else can be done in half the passes?

Usually 3 with a fourth on the neck, jawline, and sometimes chin. I've avoided going for more now as getting a BBS seems to leave me with a few ingrown hairs on my neck and cheeks.

Edit: Although that's with a straight. With the DE I can usually go 2-3.

I normally use two passes, one WTG and one XTG then touch up any trouble shots. If it takes more than that, then it might be useful to really check the direction your beard is growing. Unless you have a really dull blade, it shouldn't take more than 2-3 passes to clean off everything, even including against the grain.

I must not have a good handle on my beard growth. Even with the feather this morning (sharp,sharp,sharp!!!) I had to go over the neckline about 5-6 times. This may be a dumb question but what is ATG. I get with the grain and I assume xtg is against the grain but what is ATG.

Against the grain.
XTG Across
For me, 3 passes plus a touch up pass in the jaw line, chin and neck if needed

I see that I had it all wrong. I have never shaved XTG but I can see how that might help my problem. Thanks for being patient with me and explaining everything.

I'm jealous of those of you who can achieve BBS in 2-3 passes. My hair grows in several different directions on my neck, and I have very tough growth. Add to that my meticulous and slightly OCD nature, and it takes me 6 passes to achieve BBS, plus touch-ups. I do use a very light touch, and I never go over an area after the lather has been removed. Achieved this way, my BBS lasts about 36 hours.

If I try to go for BBS in fewer passes, I end up with irritation, ingrown hairs, and an inferior shave.

Top Bottom