What's new

Most aggressive razor?

I've been lurking on here on and off for a couple of years mostly when I'm looking to add to the collection.

anyway

I've been shaving for a couple of years now with a Gillette Slim set wide open at 9 and feather blades, and was on here looking to pick up a second slim and some more feather's (cottonblossomcrafts no longer lists them) and got to wondering if there's anything else to try.

Are the slants that aggressive? Any suggestions?

I do already have some straights as well as a DE straight (the kind you put half a DE blade in).

I always thought my Muhle R89 and Gem Micromatic were aggressive.I've just completed a shave with an Ever Ready razor from the early 1900s,and boy does the beast require concentration.:eek: It has fearsome blade exposure and requires a totally different angle than my Gem's. The result of the shave was excellent with only two weepers,but it took a lot of experimentation to get the angle right.First time I've sweated during a shave.Makes a Roll's Razor feel like a Mach 3.:biggrin::001_smile Of course I will use the razor again.:rolleyes::wink:

I use a shavette straight, the kind you but the broke blade in, but usually get the full length blade for it. I think my micromatic is fairly aggressve, but not too bad to use. I love it. You might pick up one of those to try.

Merkur Slant and the Muhle come to mind as very aggressive razors. For vintage, a lot of folks say the Barbasol razors are pretty aggressive.

Caveat: Just what I've read; haven't used these razors myself.

I think of agressive in terms of how harshly the blade addresses the skin. I recently bought a slant - it is not so much agressive as requiring precision and concentration. The blade exposure is such that an error will have nasty consequences. I have used a fatboy on 9 and it is different from a slant and does seem more agressive IMO.

I have just ordered a Parker - these are said to be agressive in some reviews - I will find out soon.

Get yourself a Gillette Single Ring (Old-type) (around 1910-ish is quite common). They are extremely aggressive. You can get them quite cheaply on eBay.

The Muehle has to be up there, great shave if you concentrate and are having a good shave day.

I don't see much difference design wise between it and Barbasols, anyone have any info on the difference?

I think of agressive in terms of how harshly the blade addresses the skin. I recently bought a slant - it is not so much agressive as requiring precision and concentration. The blade exposure is such that an error will have nasty consequences. I have used a fatboy on 9 and it is different from a slant and does seem more agressive IMO.

I have just ordered a Parker - these are said to be agressive in some reviews - I will find out soon.

+1 I think that is what it is all about.The smaller the blade exposure the more the razor decides the shave and the larger the more your hand does. But in the lather case you can get a lot more satisfaction as well as a lot more irritation. Don't blame the razor !!

The big and heavy old type, the New and Improved Gillette Big Fellow, and the heavy Barbasol, my top of the list for aggressive- great shavers for the fearless :smile:

I've been lurking on here on and off for a couple of years mostly when I'm looking to add to the collection.

anyway

I've been shaving for a couple of years now with a Gillette Slim set wide open at 9 and feather blades, and was on here looking to pick up a second slim and some more feather's (cottonblossomcrafts no longer lists them) and got to wondering if there's anything else to try.

Are the slants that aggressive? Any suggestions?

I do already have some straights as well as a DE straight (the kind you put half a DE blade in).

Slants are fairly vicious, yes. I only used mine thrice and the razor burn was so incredibly brutal I didn't touch it again.

The Darwin razor will bite you if you don't mind your technique and show it some respect.

proxy.php

I think of agressive in terms of how harshly the blade addresses the skin.

My thoughts on this are very different. I think of agressivness in terms of precision agressive attack angle and edge exposure. If skillfully handled, a fine shave (DFS).... To my way of thinking, this has nothing to do with "harshness". Harshness to me is a Sputnik blade, not a President razor. With an agressive razor and skill I can achieve a BBS shave. With harshness, I will tear up my face no matter how skillful I am. JMHO!

The Schick E-type, with the amber-colored bakelite handle, is fairly aggressive, too. Occasionally, I'll skip shaving for a few days, and this is the one I use to get off all that stubble.

Top Bottom