What's new

Step-by-step Ever-Ready brush restoration

Asking this question in a DIY forum is like begging to be flamed, but here goes: I have a Wedgwood boar brush with a ceramic Wedgwood handle that matches my scuttle. When the knot needs to be replaced, I am hesitant to try it myself since 1) I am not particularly handy, 2) I live in a condo and don't have any kind of work area and 3) I am afraid of cracking or breaking the ceramic handle. So, are there any vendors who restore brushes that you all can recommend?

If you are ready to do it now, you could probably just ask if someone here would help. I'm doing my first one now, so I don't know that I'd volunteer, but I probably would after a few more tries.

I'm not trying to "flame" you, but you might find you could do it more easily than you think. Instead of a drill, you could simply dig it all out using pliers and some sharp implements (drill bits in the hand actually work fairly well for this). It would probably take you 45 minutes to an hour, with no power tools. With a ceramic handle, avoiding power tools might be a good idea anyway. Then you simply need some epoxy.

If you really want/need to add weight to a handle you could try buckshot or bb's in the epoxy. My Shavmaster brush from Enchante is weighted in this fashion. Makes the brush really stable when you set in on it's base between passes.

Here I thought my idea about using BB's instead of plastic beads was new. I guess there is no such thing. Someone on another thread was using the beads and dimes to add weight, for the 5 dimes he could have bought a package of bb's or buckshot and have enough left over for 2 more brushes. Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes, I am by no means an expert on the subject, any way you get the job done is the right way.

Last edited:
I have this C40, but I'd like to correct 2 things on it.
As shown on the picture there is:

1. some overflow of some plastic/glue
  2. displacement of the handle
Do you guys have a clue how I can get this brush back to normality ?
Elsewhere, I read something about a steam bath ...

proxy.php

Curious if anyone has an opinion on the use of Simichrome Polish (which I have) vs Flitz (which I'd have to buy) to polish and buff a vintage brush handle to shiny, like-new brilliance?

Thanks, all!

Curious if anyone has an opinion on the use of Simichrome Polish (which I have) vs Flitz (which I'd have to buy) to polish and buff a vintage brush handle to shiny, like-new brilliance?

Thanks, all!
I've been looking around and it seems using a metal only polish on plastic/rubber might no be a good idea. Seems to be far too aggressive. I've never tried it so I don't have first hand knowledge. Just passing along what I found.

Top Bottom