What's new

munich beer festival

looking for some help/info from my german friends, going to the beer festival 18th sept for 5 days and would grateful if any of you gents have some advice re places to visit during our stay, also any tips re the beer festival:001_smile

I was in Munich for a day or two a few years ago, saw Nymphenburg & made the trip out to Dachau. Well worth seeing imo. There were a few other stops but I can't think of them at the moment.

Viel Gluck!

I've been many times. No advice really needed. Everyone is friendly and lotsa girls. Just get there early otherwise you'll be waiting in queues...

Oh actually.... I found that I enjoyed myself best at the Schützen-Festhalle, it's the most expensive though - generally you get a better class of people here. Certain tents people get quite rowdy (Hippodrom).

Be sure to eat and don't try and steal any mugs it's a 50 euro fine, and you can just buy them for 25 euros I think.

Most people prefer Augustiner-Festhalle tent because it is the only one which still uses wooden kegs (all the others have steel). When you are there be sure to eat all the delicacies.

If you are not comfortable with sit arm to arm, butt to butt within 1 millimeter of a complete stranger then don't go. Oh! Be sure to take plenty of cash with you, as the bank machines (last time I found only 6 in the whole complex go empty very quick). Nobody takes credit cards.

If on a Saturday get there around 9am or so and you'll get a good spot inside, otherwise outside is just as good, just no music of lavish kissing etc.

Some other tents have champagne bars and you'll see celebrities etc, just play it cool and don't let the booze get the best of you - being obnoxious is okay but making others uncomfortable will get you beat. If you do get harassed, the security guards won't do anything they just stand and watch (most of these are ex-east europe immigrants) so find a police officer instead and they will always help you. If you can't find a cop talk to one of the waitresses they know everything.

For souvenirs get a mug, and an oktoberfest hat. You can buy the lederhosen quite cheaply outside the wiesn if you really want it. A good cheap souvenir is a trachten shirt.

Be sure to go on the carnival rides at night! It's an interesting experience but remember most of the rides have no seatbelts or modern safety features.

Last but not least... make sure you have cash on you... it's no fun walking up to empty bank machines all round munich. Piece of advice - the taxis HAVE TO take credit cards. It's the by law there, certain cabbies will give you a rough time.. but just press on. the tents close around 11pm, try heading to a club or something, they are packed to the ****. Munich is a VERY safe city, but remember there are hundreds of thousands of drunken tourists...

if you get really fed up and cant handle all the commotion, there is a lovely town about a 40 minute train ride called "Garmisch-Partenkirchen". It once hosted the winter olympics and still has that old world bavaria feel and very very traditional events. It is also in the alps.

if you need more questions or help just let me know. here are some photos from a couple years ago:

Wow, I'm jealous! I lived in Munich a couple years ago and absolutely enamored with the city and its people. Sounds like you're in store for a great time!

Viel Glück und gute Reise!

Top Bottom