What's new

1960 Gillette- Last year for the Thin Blade?

these are what they were talking about. It is actually what Gillette called them
proxy.php

The Thin was a specific Gillette blade style, not an overall thickness variant. Here's the black and the white pack versions.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Rodd is correct, Gillette actually called them the Thin. As for the second part of your question, no the blades were not made thicker after 1960.
The Gillette blade was actually thicker in the very early days of the Gillette blade, back when the Old Type and New razors where being produced.

Ahh. In what way was the style different? Did Gillette razors have any design differences that occurred circa 1960 to accommodate a different style of blade?

As Gillette moved forward, the realized early on that what ever changes they made to the blades, they needed to maintain a pattern or combination of patterns so that the blades could be used in any razor produced before hand setting the standard for the industry.
Even the blades of today will fit in the first Old Type (Double Ring) Gillette made although some folks think they need to be shimmed. I have not had such a problem.

Thanks for the info. Any idea what differences there were between the "Thin Blade" and what ever blade succeeded it?

IMO It's fair to say that the "thin" blade is broadly the same as the "modern" blade - the older not-thin (let's say "thick") blades are made from thicker gauge razor ribbon...

I believe they come out with The Spoiler blade but I am not positive nor d I have any technical data on them, sorry.

The silicone coated "Super Blue Blade" came out in '58. I believe it was still the most popular Gillette blade until they introduced the stainless blades in '63. Up until the "Super Blue Blade" replaced it, the regular "Blue Blade" was their premium blade and the "Thin Blade" was their more "budget" blade.

Note that the less expensive Tech razor was usually sold packed with some "Thin Blades" and the more expensive Superspeeds were generally packaged with "Blue Blades".

If the "Thin Blade" was dropped from the line in '60, I believe you have to assume that the "Super Blue Blade" then became their standard up until their stainless blades were released to compete with Wilkinson's stainless blades.

Regards,
Tom

Just to note, in a prior thread about the thin blades, it is clear that even if it was "dropped" in 1960, it was brought back at a later date. There are examples from the late 60's through the 70's or even early 80's of the blade (such as the picture in response #2 above). These packages have zipcodes which were not introduced until 1963, as well as graphics and typefaces not introduced until the very late 1960's by Gillette.

Haiti222, you're quite right. I've got some of the ones in the white packaging which have the Gillette Boston address with the zip code . . . Interesting.

Regards,
Tom

Top Bottom