What's new

Ingredients?

Hi All,

I have a question about ingredients in some of the high-end products versus the Fusion gel that I am still using. A high-end cream like Trumper's Limes is much more expensive, but what are we actually paying for? To use a brush?

I compared the ingredients of the two, and I'm disappointed. I thought we were supposed to be getting away from the "chemical goo" ?

Gillette Fusion Hydra Gel, Ultra Sensitive:

Water, Palmitic Acid, Triethanolamine, Isopentane, Glyceryl Oleate, Steric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Isobutane, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PTFE, Peg-90M, Tocopheryl Acetate, Peg-23M, Propylene Glycol, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, PVM/MA Copolymer, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Methlyparaben, Propylparaben, Green 3, Blue 1.

Geo. F. Trumper West Indian Limes Shaving Cream:

Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Perfum, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, CI 19140, CI 42090, CI 14700, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Benzoate, Citral, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool.

Any chemists out there?

I am not a chemist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...

Aqua = water.

There you have it. Now that all your questions have been answered we can close the thread. :biggrin:

Hi All,

I have a question about ingredients in some of the high-end products versus the Fusion gel that I am still using. A high-end cream like Trumper's Limes is much more expensive, but what are we actually paying for? To use a brush?

I compared the ingredients of the two, and I'm disappointed. I thought we were supposed to be getting away from the "chemical goo" ?

Water, Palmitic Acid, Triethanolamine, Isopentane, Glyceryl Oleate, Steric Acid, Fragrance (Parfum), Isobutane, Sorbitol, Glycerin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, PTFE, Peg-90M, Tocopheryl Acetate, Peg-23M, Propylene Glycol, Glyceryl Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, PVM/MA Copolymer, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Methlyparaben, Propylparaben, Green 3, Blue 1.

Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Perfum, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, CI 19140, CI 42090, CI 14700, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Benzoate, Citral, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool.

Any chemists out there?

Very, very good question.

I'm a bit of an ingredients reader myself (I drive my wife nuts while we shop sometimes!). Whereas the lather-building and shave qualities of the high-end soaps is far, far superior to the canned stuff, there are (in my opinion) still too many scary ingredients in some of them for me to put them near my face. Parabens are a big no-no for my own personal use, but others swear by the products with no adverse effect. It might serve you well to investigate what each of the above ingredients is and what it's potential effects might be, then make your choice based on what you're prepared to use personally and of course your budget. Be the chemist!

Very, very good question.

I'm a bit of an ingredients reader myself (I drive my wife nuts while we shop sometimes!). Whereas the lather-building and shave qualities of the high-end soaps is far, far superior to the canned stuff, there are (in my opinion) still too many scary ingredients in some of them for me to put them near my face. Parabens are a big no-no for my own personal use, but others swear by the products with no adverse effect. It might serve you well to investigate what each of the above ingredients is and what it's potential effects might be, then make your choice based on what you're prepared to use personally and of course your budget. Be the chemist!
Thanks for the great reply pbroddi. What products do you use?

I hope more people will chime in soon. :)

Any chemists out there?

For starters, the stuff i've put in bold are nice Alkaline substances; these raise the outer surface of the hair allowing water(moisture) in. This softens the hair and makes it much easier to cut.

The underlined text is the perfuming agents....

Take note... Gillette's product just says 'Fragrance(parfum)'

Trumpers is composed of simpler and possibly naturally derived perfuming agents, Lime, Citrus, Cinnamon extracts and Linalool; Which in this case is probably a citrus or flower extract of the compound.

Seems you're paying more for certain knowledge of what's in your product, not to mention the overall quality is far better in soaps than the mass produced goo, whose biggest ingredient, after artificial perfume, is Isobutane, a propellant.

PTFE is teflon. The alkali is to saponify any fats/oils, like the coconut, to make soap. Using the combination creates a cream.

Hi All,

Any chemists out there?

I try to avoid all of these. I am using Col. Conk right now to see the lather making ability. I will be getting back to my lovely
natural soaps. I am reading about essential oil and how I can add them to my natural unscented soaps, specially the clay bentonite soap.

I wanted to get away from the synthetic ingredients that is in a majority of shaving soaps and creams. I found a company that uses truly natural ingredients. The following link will take you to their web site entitled, why natural soap, which explains a whole lot about the difference between what is synthetic and what is truly natural. They explain the difference between synthetic and natural scents as well.

http://www.awildsoapbar.com/default.asp?pageid=28561

This is their description about their shaving soap:

Sassafras Shaving Soap: Our deliciously spicy shaving soap is made with cold pressed olive oil and organic aloe juice (instead of water) to soothe and soften plus castor oil and calcium bentonite clay for a rich creamy lather.

Ingredients: saponified cold pressed olive, coconut, organic palm & castor oils, organic aloe, essential oils (orange, lavandin, cinnamon, patchouli, clove, bay), calcium bentonite clay, wild sassafras root bark, organic cinnamon bark, organic oats, sea salt

You don't have to be a chemist and you don't even have to know that aqua=water, because their shaving soap doesn't have any aqua in it.

a difference is that most shaving soaps seem to last forever. i have yet to finish one. I would not be suprised if the "expensive" soap turns out to be cheaper on a "per shave" calculation.

Thanks for the great reply pbroddi. What products do you use?

I hope more people will chime in soon. :)

Hi.

I use a facial scrub and shave cream from Laidback (I think they're made by Touch my Face). Junk free and very good quality, although not cheap. A jar lasts a good while though. I'm in the UK, so get them from: http://www.naturesparlour.co.uk/For-Men-p-1-c-46.html
I use a few drops of Somerset's natural shave oil as well.
I also use an anti-bacterial after shave balm called Zeoderm by Salcura
http://www.naturesparlour.co.uk/Zeoderm-50g-p-213.html
Hope that's helpful. Most people don't suffer problems with good quality shave soaps, so depending on your skin type, work with what suits.

Aqua - Water
Stearic Acid - Tallow
Myristic Acid - Palm Oil
Potassium Hydroxide - Alkali used for converting oil to soap
Coconut Acid - Coconut Oil
Glycerin - Glycerin
Perfum - What it sounds like
Triethanolamine - pH buffer/stabiliser
Sodium Hydroxide - Alkali used for converting oil to soap
Methylparaben, Propylparaben - Preservatives
CI 19140, CI 42090, CI 14700 - ?
Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone - Probably some sort of synthetic flower scent
Benzyl Benzoate - Fixative to hold the scent
Citral, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool - Natural scents

It's a little silly to think that because something is "natural" it's good for you and because it's synthetic it's bad, unfortunately the real world just isn't that simple.

Parabens have no toxicity as has been demonstrated by many studies. You simply cannot make soap without some sort of oil and either Potassium Hydroxide or Sodium Hydroxide. Some sort of preservative must be included or the stuff would go rancid before it reached you.

Enjoy your shave cream and don't pay any attention to this sort of ignorant scaremongering.

This is their description about their shaving soap:

Sassafras Shaving Soap: Our deliciously spicy shaving soap is made with cold pressed olive oil and organic aloe juice (instead of water) to soothe and soften plus castor oil and calcium bentonite clay for a rich creamy lather.

Ingredients: saponified cold pressed olive, coconut, organic palm & castor oils, organic aloe, essential oils (orange, lavandin, cinnamon, patchouli, clove, bay), calcium bentonite clay, wild sassafras root bark, organic cinnamon bark, organic oats, sea salt

You don't have to be a chemist and you don't even have to know that aqua=water, because their shaving soap doesn't have any aqua in it.

Mmmm.... that is something I might have to try!

I personally try not to scaremonger. As i said, most people have no reaction to good quality soap, parabens or not. There is an ongoing debate as to whether parabens are harmful or not (there are some highly-disputed studies linking parabens in anti-perspirant to breast cancer). Just based on my own experience, my skin works better with natural products. Other people's MMV.
S'about choice really.:001_smile

Aqua - Water
Stearic Acid - Tallow
Myristic Acid - Palm Oil
Potassium Hydroxide - Alkali used for converting oil to soap
Coconut Acid - Coconut Oil
Glycerin - Glycerin
Perfum - What it sounds like
Triethanolamine - pH buffer/stabiliser
Sodium Hydroxide - Alkali used for converting oil to soap
Methylparaben, Propylparaben - Preservatives
CI 19140, CI 42090, CI 14700 - ?
Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone - Probably some sort of synthetic flower scent
Benzyl Benzoate - Fixative to hold the scent
Citral, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool - Natural scents

It's a little silly to think that because something is "natural" it's good for you and because it's synthetic it's bad, unfortunately the real world just isn't that simple.

Parabens have no toxicity as has been demonstrated by many studies. You simply cannot make soap without some sort of oil and either Potassium Hydroxide or Sodium Hydroxide. Some sort of preservative must be included or the stuff would go rancid before it reached you.

Enjoy your shave cream and don't pay any attention to this sort of ignorant scaremongering.

:em3200:I like to know the sources of the products that are used. With regard to just the first three ingredients, it is unknown what the source really is:

Aqua=Water

If a company states that they are using distilled water, then it is known that all the impurities are removed.

Stearic Acid=Tallow

Stearic acid is a saturated fatty acid that occurs in many animal and vegetable fats and oils, and it is a waxy solid. Its name comes from the Greek word stéar (genitive: stéatos), which means tallow. It is known that most toxins in animals, including humans, resides in these saturated fatty acids. Our skin absorbs anything that is put onto it. If the ingredient is animal fat (which it probably is), then it is probably coming from a commercial slaughterhouse, and the fat would contain all the chemicals that were pumped into the animal as well as toxins from any disease the animal may have. I don't want more toxins in my body.

Myristic Acid=Palm Oil

Myristic acid, also called tetradecanoic acid, is a common saturated fatty acid. Myristic acid is named after the nutmeg (Myristica fragrans). Nutmeg butter is 75% trimyristin, the triglyceride of myristic acid. Besides nutmeg, myristic acid is also found in palm oil, butter fat and spermacetin, the crystallized fraction of oil from the sperm whale. (Does size really make a difference?) The ingredient probably is from the oil palm tree, but is it palm oil or palm kernel oil? Was it processed through physical or chemical refining? If it was chemical then it is also bleached.

CONSCIOUSLY CHOOSING FOR MYSELF​

Please post a review of this soap if you use it. Does sound yummy but I have my doubts about shaving performance.

I just received the shaving soap from a wild soap bar today. This will be the first shaving soap that I will try in my short career of wet shaving. I have been using creams up to this point. Although I won't be able to compare it to any other soap, I will be able to compare it to the experiences that I have had with creams. I'll get back to this thread in a week or two (when I have had enough experience with the soap) and give a review of it.

I wish I had that B&B 2008 LE brush now!:badger:

Oh, lovely Cinnamal!..'YOU GIVE ME FEVER...IN THE MORNING..FEVER ALL THRU THE NIGHT...FEVER!!!...WHAT A LOVELY WAY TO BURN!!!

Like to finish off a nice TOBS Sandlewood shave with a cold splash of Embalming Fluid...it closes pores, tightens skin, prevents skin aging, kills bacteria, and feels so good!!

Top Bottom