What's new

Is Democracy Doomed?

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Well, that's one of the guesses for the quote, but I'm more interested in the quote itself than the attribution. I can safely say it wasn't me who said it. :001_smile

What we have been seeing more and more, is people voting themselves largess from the public treasury whose coffers are filled by the taxes we are forced to pay.

We are seeing candidates from both parties promising their constituents assorted pork from the federal barrel, and the ones who produce for their constituents get returned to office.

The producers are being taxes at greater and greater rates to give stuff to non-producers.

And we wonder why companies are moving their operations out of the U.S.

I think we're in the end days. Better stock up on fresh water, non-perishable food items and ammunition.

Well, that's one of the guesses for the quote, but I'm more interested in the quote itself than the attribution. I can safely say it wasn't me who said it. :001_smile

What we have been seeing more and more, is people voting themselves largess from the public treasury whose coffers are filled by the taxes we are forced to pay.

We are seeing candidates from both parties promising their constituents assorted pork from the federal barrel, and the ones who produce for their constituents get returned to office.

The producers are being taxes at greater and greater rates to give stuff to non-producers.

And we wonder why companies are moving their operations out of the U.S.

I think we're in the end days. Better stock up on fresh water, non-perishable food items and ammunition.

Food Check(have MRE and even S.E.A. rations), Ammunition check(i know a netwrok of old boys that have come togethor and made a shelter for such occassion with guns and ammo), Have enough water to last about 40 people about 2 years. Even Gasoline underground tanks for vehicles and numerous other stuff. Burried and map of it well hidden gathering dust in a hole as we speak.

The founding fathers knew this to be true and put measures into the current government to maybe safe gaurd from past governments mistakes. If we were a republic completely as Rome envisioned it we would be in last days. Alas we are a grouping of Democracy, republic, capatilistic, amongst others.

We may be ok but i still say be prepared.:cool:

One good thing is that a dictator can only serve max 8 years in this country and only if we re elect them. As far as doomed i beleive the american people can onnly be pushed so far before we ignite and we also live in an enlightened country in the sense that most have atleast a high school education and know atleast a little of history. Hopefully its enough. What i worry for is my children who are growing up with reality tv and paris hilton as role models(see also the movie "idiocrasy" while funny very scary as well this may be our future:lol:) We already live in a Alex Huxley world

Teach, your children well.
Take a look at our country over the past 30 years and see the quality of the knowledge of the children as they leave our public schools. Ignorance is not bliss; but an ignorant populace is much easier to control. I have been suspicious of what is happening for some time in my country.....

I hate to say it but I like many others out here in the west keep a stock of weapons and ammunition to protect myself from any enemy....foriegn or domestic.

Luckily we dont have the same problem as rome in that our military isnt from conquered country's and we all hail from the same nation and think of other states as our own. Our soldiers beleive in freedom and the checks and balances(even though there are problems) are still there and educated men and women are in positions outside of government to not allow it to get to out of control. As long as the ACLU and NRA amongst many others are there we are all good.

Top Bottom