What's new

Hockey! Hockey! Hockey!

Welcome to September. I'm drooling in anticipation already. Even though it's currently over 100 degrees here and feels nothing like fall. I'm chilly just thinking about the ice. The way skates sound on it. The ring of a puck off the post. Can't help but smile like a little kid at Christmas.
GO SHARKS!
GO 'HAWKS!!

I'm looking forward to tweaked Sharks bench and coaching staff. I'm also very excited that Toews is wearing a 'C' and Soupy skating on the same team (maybe the same line?!?!!). This is going to be another great year of hockey.
WAHOOO!!

This is so weird. Regular season hockey is still a month away. Anyway... I don't know what to think about the Rangers. They lost some key players. I don't know what direction this franchise is taking. Where are the scorers, especially on our anemic PP? What is Prucha supposed to do on this team? They signed 5 guys this off-season who won't be factors. "The Rangers win the Cup! The Rangers win the Cup!" is soooo far away. :frown:

The Blackhawks are back! After many LEAN years of Dollar Bill Wirtz, we have a owner who wants to win and not line his pockets! WHOOOOHOOOOO! Strap em on boys LETS GO! :w00t:

Having grown up in the northern plains where all the surrounding states have a big hockey culture, it is not a sport that was really emphasized in mine (SD). I've always found this very odd. As a result I never got into it, and now I don't really understand all the rules. Been to a live game though and it was exciting. The kids loved watching too.

This is so weird. Regular season hockey is still a month away.

This is not weird. I'm just that excited. I've driven by the Shark Tank three times a day the last week (for business reasons, not obsession) and that has thrown my excitement into overdrive.

The Blackhawks are back! After many LEAN years of Dollar Bill Wirtz, we have a owner who wants to win and not line his pockets! WHOOOOHOOOOO! Strap em on boys LETS GO! :w00t:

Oh man... as much as I want the Sharks to do well this season I'm even more excited that Chicago is shaping up to have a very competitive team. Welcome to a new era of Chicago hockey.

We upgraded our cable a few weeks ago to digital w/HD just for hockey season (the Olympics didn't hurt either). I got my postcard with seat assignments for this year in the mail yesterday. I'm 100% ready.

There's the "agony of defeat." And then there's this women's ice hockey score from the European Olympic pre-qualifying tournament: Slovakia 82, Bulgaria 0.

That's correct: eighty-two goals for Slovakia, none for Bulgaria.

The International Ice Hockey Federation said the result, from a game played Saturday at the tournament in Liepaja, Latvia, set a record score for a women's IIHF-sanctioned event. It was not the all-time record for futility, however; that is still held by Thailand, which lost 92-0 to South Korea in the 1998 Asia-Oceania U18 Championship.

Slovakia, which won all four of its games at the tournament, outshot Bulgaria 139-0, scoring on 58.9 percent of their shots on goal. They averaged one goal every 44 seconds.

Bulgaria trailed 7-0 after 5 minutes, 19-0 after 10 and 31-0 at the end of the first period.

The drubbing capped a woeful showing for the Bulgarian women, who also lost 30-1 to Croatia and 41-0 to Italy in earlier games.

Yikes.

This summer has been BAD for withdrawal symptoms for me. I suspended my Bell ExpressVu (BEV) service, my team has been seriously re-jigged and are, as of this moment, captain-less. I understand re-building, I understand it's necessary, and I will never bleed anything but blue. But I am hoping beyond hope that a younger team and one particular vet that had a bad year due to a health scare will surprise some folks. And having Cujo back is undeniably a good thing.

With that, I have two things to say:

Sabres suck!

Sundin forever!

Go Wild!

Despite my blanketed dislike of sports in general, growing up in Minnesota, it's hard not to be a hockey fan. I went to my first NHL game when I was 11 or 12 and it was one I will never forget. Minnesota North Stars vs. St. Louis Blues. It was one of their last games in the Met Center (which is now a parking lot for the Mall of America and an IKEA) and you could cut the emotion in the air with a knife.

Fast forward six years and we got the Wild, which is awesome! On New Year's Eve this past year my wife and I got to go to our first Wild game compliments of my company. Gotta love that! :biggrin:

Top Bottom