What's new

A Year of DE Shaving; A Year of ADs

After a year of DE shaving and a brief perusal of my bank account, I realized I've got all kinds of ADs. So, for no particular reason (except maybe as a warning to those who come after), my list and their somewhat real, somewhat fictional reasons for existing:

RAD - Razor Acquisition Disorder - So many to choose from. There really might be a better razor than the Aristocrat, just have to keep looking. Maybe that Superspeed in its original case really will shave better than the one I have with no case? Gems? What is this beast? Hmm. Maybe one day when I'm bored with DE, a single edge would be the way to go. Also, they're all so shiny.

BlAD - Blade Acquisition Disorder - I will probably die if they stop making the Swedish Gillettes. There's always the chance that my stockpile will be stolen by marauding shavers. There is no such thing as too many good blades.

BrAD - Brush Acquisition Disorder - Wow, the Tweezerman is a good brush! Nice. What's this talk about silver tip and loft and a brush for soaps and one for creams? I need all of those kinds of brushes for the perfect shaving experiences. Actually, with four brushes, it's pretty much under control. But those Kent brushes in the window? Could the absolutely perfect soap/cream brush (with just the right amount of loft, softness, and stiffness) be lurking there? Should I ....

SCAD - Soap/Cream Acquisition Disorder - The possibility of madness descending upon one of these purveyors is always possible. The madness to reformulate or save money on costs. Or to increase prices. Or just stop making them altogether. Not to mention, they all smell so good.

ASAD - Aftershave Acquisition Disorder - Out there, in the wild, is the perfect lime aftershave that combines the limes of Trumper's with the longevity of Tabac (or Kouros). I will find it.

ASBAD - Aftershave Balm Acquisition Disorder - Maybe using alcohol-based aftershave every day isn't such a good thing? Maybe a balm occasionally? Or skin food? What is skin food? Who cares? I need it.

SAD - Scent Acquisition Disorder - Wow! All those soaps and creams smell so good! Wouldn't it be great to smell like that all day? Wow! Truefitt & Hill makes a limes cologne! The first misstep on a seriously slippery slope.

CAD - Cabinet Acquisition Disorder (also known as DAD - Display Acquisition Disorder) - Well, that shelf just doesn't hold everything. Stupid too-small shelf! That nice cabinet from Pier 1 would work perfectly! It does! Time passes. Stupid too-small cabinet. Repeat.

RCAD - Razor Case Acquisition Disorder - That Superspeed with no case sure would look a lot better if it had its own case. Hmm. It appears the case cradling my beloved Aristocrat isn't really the original case that goes with that razor. Must find it's real home. Wow! Gem cases! What is it about them? I must have them all. The razor inside isn't a Gem? It's a rusty Gillette with a cracked handle and it's only $48? Sold! Bakelite is so collectable (or the snap really works on this one) and the case is worth every penny!

OVAD - Online Vendor Acquisition Disorder - All the great folks who make or sell the things we need and use. They're way too friendly and nice! Sue will make a special soap on request? Jim will include a free sample? And this is legal? Undoubtedly, there's something in the penal code about nice vendors. Until I find it, though, I'll take seven soaps, three brushes, and a bottle of Kieg. If I order eight, you'll throw in one for free. OK!

ASSSAD - Antique Store/Secondhand Store Acquisition Disorder - One of these places will have that underpriced gem, that rare razor that gives me a BBS in one pass, leaves no burn, washes the dishes afterward, is worth a fortune and it will be in the "Anything for $4" box. It's just a matter of eliminating all the stores until finding the right one. Repeat.

All of which will lead to:

BaAD - Bankruptcy Addiction Disorder - which would involve attorneys. And no one wants to go there.

After a year of DE shaving, I've learned a lot thanks to the good folks here, have acquired a lot thanks to the good folks here and to the vendors that keep us happy, and hopefully have given something back to the good folks here.

Just remember: keeping your ADs in check is a good thing.

And as always: YMMV. But may you get plenty of mileage. :wink:

Seriously though, you forgot to mention the folks at Shaving Essentials! By far the nicest vendors I have ever purchased anything from (EVER), shaving-related or otherwise. They always include a ton of free samples, extras and really sweet thank you notes with each and every order. If they carry it, I won't go anywhere else. I've bought shaving supplies from a number of different vendors, but no one compares to SE; they've gotta be the sweetest, most honest and dependable vendors out there and offer some of the lowest prices to boot. They're fueling all of my other ADs.:tongue_sm

That's because I didn't make it vendor specific.:biggrin:

There are several Sues and Jims that supply us.

That's because I didn't make it vendor specific.:biggrin:

There are several Sues and Jims that supply us.

I know. I just had to give SE a shout out as their service is so great and their prices so low that it causes all of my ADs to snowball. I'm not even sure why I own a Merkur Slant, but for $27.98 I wasn't about to turn it down...:biggrin:

I have been DE shaving for the better part of two decades now but I must admit that since my discovery of B&B, just over 6 months ago, my expenses expanded greatly. Didn't know there was still so much good stuff out there.
I think I spent more money in the last 6 months than I did in the last decade! Saving money with DE shaving? Compared to what exactly?
But I must admit that it was much fun spending it and B&B inspired me to bring my shaving to a higher level. All good things come at a price.....:wink2:

I know. I just had to give SE a shout out as their service is so great and their prices so low that it causes all of my ADs to snowball. I'm not even sure why I own a Merkur Slant, but for $27.98 I wasn't about to turn it down...:biggrin:

I have been DE shaving for the better part of two decades now but I must admit that since my discovery of B&B, just over 6 months ago, my expenses expanded greatly. Didn't know there was still so much good stuff out there.
I think I spent more money in the last 6 months than I did in the last decade! Saving money with DE shaving? Compared to what exactly?
But I must admit that it was much fun spending it and B&B inspired me to bring my shaving to a higher level. All good things come at a price.....:wink2:

Guess what I'm not going to say? ..... Oh,WTH (In case you didn't know)

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!!!!

marty

Shaving Essentials is an evil enabler. They give you small samples when you order something knowing full well that we will be back soon to order one of the things that was sent to us as a " freebee ". With another order comes more samples and this vicious circle never ends. :letterk2:

Top Bottom