What's new

*PICS* T&H Turnback *PICS*

I have been wanting a good travel brush for some time - but simply refused to even consider paying their going price - as it would only be used for travel, and I do not travel much. When the ashford sale rolled around, I couldn't help myself, as it was such a screaming deal.....

Box...
full

Back of box...
full

Open Box...
full

Unwrapped from Tissue...
full

Out of box...
full

In Hand...
full

"Open" Bottom so as to allow the brush to dry...
full

Back of "tube"...
full

Twisting Knob....
full

Twisting Knob Close-Up...
full

As you twist the knob, the brush begins to protrude from the bottom of the tube...
full

Brush out of Tube...
full

Assembled Brush...
full

"brush" portion next to several brushes (brush un-used and un-bloomed)
full

Unbloomed brush assembled, next to Polo12 for size comparo...
full

Re-assembling the brush - putting the knob into the bottom of the tube...
full

Into the tube she goes...
full

Back into travel mode...
full

Assembled Brush/tube next to a few brushes for size comparo...
full

Now before I go any further and show you this thing in action, let me say, I was stunned at how incredibly well this thing was built... I mean this thing is REALLY solid. It would take an incredibly absurd chain of events to break this sucker. The threads on the screw portion are incredibly thick, and the brush is surprisingly handsome, and feels SUPERB in hand. Truly a magnificent, and luxurious little device.

Without further adue, here is this bugger in action with some T&H 1805 (I thought it would be befitting to break it in with another T&H product, that also comes in an ebony container)

Ready to go to work...
full

Taking its maiden bath...
full

Cream is open..... time to get down to business...
full

Givin' it a little shake...
full

Dippin' time...
full

Loaded with cream and itching to play...
full

10 swirls, and I am shocked at how well this thing is performing...
full

After only 15 swirls, it looks ready to go, this thing lathers SO damn fast because of the incredibly long handle, coupled with the incredibly long/soft bristles...
full

Overhead shot...
full

Now.... hold on to your butts.... this is my hand lathered AFTER 6 (SIX) PASSES!!
full

Brush in bloom...
full

Brush in bloom (from the side)...
full

Bloomed brush size comparo....
full

Bloomed brush next to Simpsons PJ2...
full

Let me just say.... thus far, this little travel brush is my FAVORITE brush out of the lineup I posses. It feels INCREDIBLE on your face, seems to hold a simply ludicrous amount of lather in the little bugger, works wonders, has a REALLY effective handle, builds enough lather for 6 passes faster than a top fuel dragster does the 1/4 mile, looks wonderful, has superb build quality, with a few hard shakes is almost immediatly dry (the long handle gives incredible leverage to give the thing a few good shakes, and coupled with the somewhat "loose" packed knot and the long bristles, the water runs away from the brush immediatly when you give it a few solid shakes) and its incredibly convienient and practical in its liberal use of shaving cream, and its ability to travel.

I give this sucker a whopping 10 out of 10. I just hope to hell it starts acting up on me, or else my other brushes are going to be outta a job... this thing very well stands a chance of being my SOLE daily shaving brush.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Joel, thanks for the review. I have been eyeing that same brush for over a year. I should have bought it during ashford's sale. Oh well, next time.

Austin said:
Joel, thanks for the review. I have been eyeing that same brush for over a year. I should have bought it during ashford's sale. Oh well, next time.

Austin,
For what it is worth - in my opinion, even at full price, it is worth it!

I just hope to hell it starts acting up on me, or else my other brushes are going to be outta a job... this thing very well stands a chance of being my SOLE daily shaving brush.

When this happens, I'll take your Shavemac XXL! :001_tt2:

Randy

Austin said:

Andrew keep in mind if you sign up for fat wallet and use their ashford referral link you'll get 7.5% of your purchase in "fatcash", which essentially can be deposited into your paypal account (or mailed to you in a check). Some merchants release fat-cash from 30 days, some up to 120. But 7.5% of a 75 dollar brush is almost 6 bucks. It's not quite 20%.. but it's a savings.

Could it be that this brush was made for T+H by Vulfix??
Like this one:

proxy.php

It looks to me that they're indentical...

Peter

Peter,
It is much softer than a standard vulfix, and it has near identical bristle properties to a Kent, which leads me to believe it is a kent - not positive though, but it also looks like a dead ringer for the kent travel brush.

Is there an advantage to having a turnback for a travel brush. I've got a Vulfix super badger that packs in a cylinder with a screw on cap. The problem with this type of travel brush is that it must be very dry before you can pack it away; whereas, it seems that the turnback, with its open ended design would allow you to pack the brush even when it is slightly damp. Is this correct?

Hal

halwilson said:
Is there an advantage to having a turnback for a travel brush. I've got a Vulfix super badger that packs in a cylinder with a screw on cap. The problem with this type of travel brush is that it must be very dry before you can pack it away; whereas, it seems that the turnback, with its open ended design would allow you to pack the brush even when it is slightly damp. Is this correct?

Hal

Hal,
Yes my friend you are correct - but due to the design of the brush, when shaken, it pretty much drys itself within seconds. It is really a remarkable design! Three other benefits on the turnback VS tube - the turnback is a LOT more resistant to being crushed, the turnback has a much longer handle, and lastly the turnback keeps the bristles in one, protected position, where as in the tube the brush can be shaken, and eventually cause damage to the delicate tips of the badger hair. I've done the travel brush in tube thing, and it is certainly a viable traveling solution, but the turnback is markedly better.

Joel,

Well you've sold me on one of these. I checked out the great price at ashford and sadly they won't ship internationally. :c17:

Hal

Thanks Austin. I have no idea who the manufacturer is, I bought it at a cutlery store named 'Stoddards' and that's the only name on it. It's only a normal/regular badger but works just fine for the limited travelling I do.

I just received my T&H Turnback and I am very pleased with it. I agree with Joel--this brush is much softer than any vulfix that I own. It really whips up a nice lather. Thanks for the post Joel!

mike said:
I just received my T&H Turnback and I am very pleased with it. I agree with Joel--this brush is much softer than any vulfix that I own. It really whips up a nice lather. Thanks for the post Joel!

Incredibly soft eh? I'd guess they are made by kent, sure feels/looks like Kent quality!

Received mine today and decided I would test her with some Avacado and damnit if it didnt produce more lather than I ever received with my vulfix and looks damn good while doing it. I cant wait to try this on my QED sticks, my shaves at sea just got a whole lot better.

Top Bottom