Thread: *PICS* T&H Turnback *PICS*

1. Default *PICS* T&H Turnback *PICS*

I have been wanting a good travel brush for some time - but simply refused to even consider paying their going price - as it would only be used for travel, and I do not travel much. When the ashford sale rolled around, I couldn't help myself, as it was such a screaming deal.....

Box...

Back of box...

Open Box...

Unwrapped from Tissue...

Out of box...

In Hand...

"Open" Bottom so as to allow the brush to dry...

Back of "tube"...

Twisting Knob....

Twisting Knob Close-Up...

As you twist the knob, the brush begins to protrude from the bottom of the tube...

Brush out of Tube...

Assembled Brush...

"brush" portion next to several brushes (brush un-used and un-bloomed)

Unbloomed brush assembled, next to Polo12 for size comparo...

Re-assembling the brush - putting the knob into the bottom of the tube...

Into the tube she goes...

Back into travel mode...

Assembled Brush/tube next to a few brushes for size comparo...

Now before I go any further and show you this thing in action, let me say, I was stunned at how incredibly well this thing was built... I mean this thing is REALLY solid. It would take an incredibly absurd chain of events to break this sucker. The threads on the screw portion are incredibly thick, and the brush is surprisingly handsome, and feels SUPERB in hand. Truly a magnificent, and luxurious little device.

Without further adue, here is this bugger in action with some T&H 1805 (I thought it would be befitting to break it in with another T&H product, that also comes in an ebony container)

Ready to go to work...

Taking its maiden bath...

Cream is open..... time to get down to business...

Givin' it a little shake...

Dippin' time...

Loaded with cream and itching to play...

10 swirls, and I am shocked at how well this thing is performing...

After only 15 swirls, it looks ready to go, this thing lathers SO damn fast because of the incredibly long handle, coupled with the incredibly long/soft bristles...

Overhead shot...

Now.... hold on to your butts.... this is my hand lathered AFTER 6 (SIX) PASSES!!

Brush in bloom...

Brush in bloom (from the side)...

Bloomed brush size comparo....

Bloomed brush next to Simpsons PJ2...

Let me just say.... thus far, this little travel brush is my FAVORITE brush out of the lineup I posses. It feels INCREDIBLE on your face, seems to hold a simply ludicrous amount of lather in the little bugger, works wonders, has a REALLY effective handle, builds enough lather for 6 passes faster than a top fuel dragster does the 1/4 mile, looks wonderful, has superb build quality, with a few hard shakes is almost immediatly dry (the long handle gives incredible leverage to give the thing a few good shakes, and coupled with the somewhat "loose" packed knot and the long bristles, the water runs away from the brush immediatly when you give it a few solid shakes) and its incredibly convienient and practical in its liberal use of shaving cream, and its ability to travel.

I give this sucker a whopping 10 out of 10. I just hope to hell it starts acting up on me, or else my other brushes are going to be outta a job... this thing very well stands a chance of being my SOLE daily shaving brush.

Enjoy!
    - Joel
    joel (at) badgerandblade.com

Images

Joel, thanks for the review. I have been eyeing that same brush for over a year. I should have bought it during ashford's sale. Oh well, next time.

Images

Very nice!! (pardon me while I wipe the drool)!
    Jerry

4. Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Austin
    Joel, thanks for the review. I have been eyeing that same brush for over a year. I should have bought it during ashford's sale. Oh well, next time.
    Austin,
    For what it is worth - in my opinion, even at full price, it is worth it!
    - Joel

Images

I just hope to hell it starts acting up on me, or else my other brushes are going to be outta a job... this thing very well stands a chance of being my SOLE daily shaving brush.
    When this happens, I'll take your Shavemac XXL!

Randy
    "I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." J. B. Books
    Shazam!
    Another memorable quote!
    Hall of Fame
    Remember Alex Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Austin
    Andrew keep in mind if you sign up for fat wallet and use their ashford referral link you'll get 7.5% of your purchase in "fatcash", which essentially can be deposited into your paypal account (or mailed to you in a check). Some merchants release fat-cash from 30 days, some up to 120. But 7.5% of a 75 dollar brush is almost 6 bucks. It's not quite 20%.. but it's a savings.

Images

Could it be that this brush was made for T+H by Vulfix??
    Like this one:

It looks to me that they're indentical...

Peter

8. Thread Starter

Peter,
    It is much softer than a standard vulfix, and it has near identical bristle properties to a Kent, which leads me to believe it is a kent - not positive though, but it also looks like a dead ringer for the kent travel brush.
    - Joel

Images

Is there an advantage to having a turnback for a travel brush. I've got a Vulfix super badger that packs in a cylinder with a screw on cap. The problem with this type of travel brush is that it must be very dry before you can pack it away; whereas, it seems that the turnback, with its open ended design would allow you to pack the brush even when it is slightly damp. Is this correct?

Hal

10. Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by halwilson
    Is there an advantage to having a turnback for a travel brush. I've got a Vulfix super badger that packs in a cylinder with a screw on cap. The problem with this type of travel brush is that it must be very dry before you can pack it away; whereas, it seems that the turnback, with its open ended design would allow you to pack the brush even when it is slightly damp. Is this correct?

Hal
    Hal,
    Yes my friend you are correct - but due to the design of the brush, when shaken, it pretty much drys itself within seconds. It is really a remarkable design! Three other benefits on the turnback VS tube - the turnback is a LOT more resistant to being crushed, the turnback has a much longer handle, and lastly the turnback keeps the bristles in one, protected position, where as in the tube the brush can be shaken, and eventually cause damage to the delicate tips of the badger hair. I've done the travel brush in tube thing, and it is certainly a viable traveling solution, but the turnback is markedly better.
    - Joel

Images

Joel,

Well you've sold me on one of these. I checked out the great price at ashford and sadly they won't ship internationally.

Hal

Images

I've been happy with my travel brush setup and it only cost $35.00.

Images

Thumbs up

Cliff, that looks like an industrial turnback. Very nice!

Images

Thanks Austin. I have no idea who the manufacturer is, I bought it at a cutlery store named 'Stoddards' and that's the only name on it. It's only a normal/regular badger but works just fine for the limited travelling I do.

Images

I just received my T&H Turnback and I am very pleased with it. I agree with Joel--this brush is much softer than any vulfix that I own. It really whips up a nice lather. Thanks for the post Joel!
    Last edited by mike; 10-13-2005 at 02:58 PM.
    ~ mike

16. Thread Starter

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    I just received my T&H Turnback and I am very pleased with it. I agree with Joel--this brush is much softer than any vulfix that I own. It really whips up a nice lather. Thanks for the post Joel!
    Incredibly soft eh? I'd guess they are made by kent, sure feels/looks like Kent quality!
    - Joel

Images

Received mine today and decided I would test her with some Avacado and damnit if it didnt produce more lather than I ever received with my vulfix and looks damn good while doing it. I cant wait to try this on my QED sticks, my shaves at sea just got a whole lot better.