What's new

Scented my first cream today...

I've had some EOs kicking around for a while, so I decided to get some unscented cream and experiment with a little alchemy...To get an idea for constructing the scent, I took some advice from the forum about dripping EO on to cotton balls and leaving them in a plastic baggie overnight. Really worked! Using this method, I could definitely tell the difference in concentration of one EO over another.

I decided to split the cream up into two batches so I could make two different scented creams. The first one I mixed up was about 45% Bergamot, 40% Lavender, 10% Lemon, and 5% Chamomile. It's a really refreshing scent, with the citrus smoothed out by the lavender, and accented by the apple-smelling Chamomile.

I can't really decide on my next one...I think I may go Bulgarian Rose and Lavender (the combo smells pretty amazing).

This has been a really satisfying experience, and I highly recommend it! Be careful, though, some EOs can be irritants and they are POWERFUL stuff. I got a headache while mixing because the scents were so strong. BTW Chamomile EO is VERY pungent, if you get some only a touch is needed.

Has anyone else had success making their own scented creams?

That sounds like a GREAT combo of scent there. A very simple combo of Lavender, Bergamot and Lime is one of my very favorites. Great job and it's great to see others out there doing the same thing. I love to add EO to creams. I also love to add peppermint and menthol for an insanely cooling sensation.

I've made creams woth pure EOs such as geranium but the mixes sound like a good way to go. What cream base did you use?

Wow, I hadn't thought of mixing up Lime with Lavender and Bergamot. Bet that's wonderful. I'm with you on the mint and menthol, I think my next EO purchases will definitely be 'cooling.' It's so damn hot here!

As for the cream base, the maker asked me specifically not to discuss it on the open forum, wanting to discourage those who don't know what they're doing/haven't done proper research from messing around with EOs or FOs that are extremely potent and can cause allergic reactions, etc...I don't necessarily agree with those sentiments (I think experimenting is fun and should be encouraged, as long as you're careful), but I understand the point and I'll respect those wishes.

That said, you can find many unscented creams that work well. I've heard of people having good success with AOS unscented. I'm sure with a little research you could find many other suppliers that offer unscented cream as well.

I ordered the My time 10/10 and mixed eucalyptus and balsam EO's in for a very nice nice blend of invigorating scents. Really broke the straight menthol scent up. Next order will be a custom scaled down version of the menthol. Wanted to see the full effect! That lavender, lime ,bergamot sounds interesting. MB's trade winds(pm,lavender, patchouli)is a very pleasant blend. I guess lavender really blends with alot of good stuff!

Eucalyptus and balsam, huh? Molto interestante! Never thought of that combo before. I've been tossing around the idea of orange/bergamot and balsam for a while...

I have Jean's menthol 10/10 mixed with rosemary and spearmint and I'm in love with it. When it's in the triple digits, I won't even think of using anything else! Oh, and a big +1 on the lavender blends...I think it's the most cherished EO I've got. Or maybe it's the bergamot. Or the Bulgarian rose. Arghhhh!

Wow, I hadn't thought of mixing up Lime with Lavender and Bergamot. Bet that's wonderful. I'm with you on the mint and menthol, I think my next EO purchases will definitely be 'cooling.' It's so damn hot here!

As for the cream base, the maker asked me specifically not to discuss it on the open forum, wanting to discourage those who don't know what they're doing/haven't done proper research from messing around with EOs or FOs that are extremely potent and can cause allergic reactions, etc...I don't necessarily agree with those sentiments (I think experimenting is fun and should be encouraged, as long as you're careful), but I understand the point and I'll respect those wishes.

That said, you can find many unscented creams that work well. I've heard of people having good success with AOS unscented. I'm sure with a little research you could find many other suppliers that offer unscented cream as well.

Doesn't SCS sell a bulk bowl of cream with no EO's in it so you can add your own? I seem to recall them having something like that when I was browsing the site a while back.

Just remember that a little knowledge can be dangerous. As long as you take the time to research what you will be using and what works for your skin type, the experimenting can be a good thing. Just don't 'boldly go where no man has gone before' for the sake of doing so.

Seeing the new combos that you guys are coming up with is very interesting.

marty

Please be careful as a little fragrance oil/essential oil can go a very long way in scenting shaving cream. I hope you have a way of weighing the amount you wish to add. If not I would suggest using a dropper to add a drop or two at a time then mix and please remember that you can always add more but you can't take away once it is done! Also what might smell great to your nose might irritate your skin so please be careful! I've been doing this all afternoon so I know a little bit about it! :wink2:

Top Bottom