What's new

Islay Pilgrimage

Next week I will be making my way to the Scottish Island of Islay. It is home to the much loved/hated whiskys of same name. Loved in my case.
It is quite a journey involving trains, busses and three ferries with a night on Arran on the way. It is a beautiful part of the world and if the sun is shining even more beautiful. I will make a trip to the Ardbeg distillery for a tour and sample of their wares.

I can't wait.

If you're going to Ardbeg, you may as well pause at both Lagavuillin & Laphroaig as they're on the same road out of Port Ellen...

If you go to Laphroaig's web site and register as a "friend" you can get your own square foot of their peatland and claim 'rent' while you're there :biggrin: (and see your plot).

I will be staying in Port Ellen for two nights. Arriving on the Friday afternoon i will most likely only have time to take in one distillery on the Saturday. The downer is leaving on the 09:45 the day after a night on the Scotch.

ENJOY!!:w00t:

It is a truly lovely island inhabited by even lovlier people:smile:

Don't miss a great pub. If my memory serves me right it should be locatedvery close to A846/A847 "junction"
But use the back entrance, small rustic and 99% locals!!
Islay House Square is the place....
I believe there is a brewery there now as well:w00t::tongue_sm:w00t:

Just a bit jealous:lol:

:smile:M

Nearly forgot - Arran Distillery - isn't that near Lochranza? (where presumably you're hopping off Arran and on to Kintyre)...

I will be staying in Port Ellen for two nights. Arriving on the Friday afternoon i will most likely only have time to take in one distillery on the Saturday. The downer is leaving on the 09:45 the day after a night on the Scotch.

The schedules at Laphroaig and Lagavulin are not conducive to each other when I visited.

Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Bowmore & Bruichladdich are the ones I visited.

Top Bottom