What's new

Brush cleaner

Painting is a hobby of mine that I haven't been able to indulge in for almost a year. I finally cleared out a space in this apartment and put down a background color on a board.

I was washing out the brushes like I always have, using "The Masters Brush Cleaner." I love this stuff and it works great with acrylic paints.

Then the obvious clicked. It's a brush cleaner and "preserver." For all kinds of paint brushes, including those with ultra-expensive sable hair.

I checked out the Web site (http://www.generalpencil.com/use-masters.htm) and saw this:

The Best Preserver
“The Masters”® was formulated in conjunction with a cosmetic laboratory to help condition and preserve your brushes with the same care and thought as products that you use on your hair. It keeps your brushes like new so they’ll retain the same natural snap and luster - for consistent performance - as the day you bought them.

I'm not sure if I dare to try and use it on my one and only shaving brush. Plus, the fragrance isn't designed as a body care type fragrance. But, who knows, I may give it a whack!

It may work, but just FYI the product of choice for many, and recommended by the insert of most shaving brushes I have received, is Borax (available at places like Target, Walmart, etc. in the laundry aisle).

Regards.

J

em's place has brush cleaning videos using the borax method and also using a solution of white or apple vinegar and water, which em prefers. i've used her procedure and can attest that it works really well.

they're worth watching.

Hi Kongjie,
If you are looking for painting brush cleaner go here:
https://store.studioproducts.com/Ugly-Dog-Brush-Soap-p-16169.html
Ugly Dog is the best and the site is for traditional oil painting materials. I also paint and do lithograhs. Now, for bagger shaving brushes, shampoo will work. Curiously there are some badger brushes used for fine art painting but with a different head more appropriate for applying pint to canvas or paper

Golden is coming up with very low drying acrylics that will stay open for a long time. Hve you tried oils? You'll never go back to acrylics

Those acrylics are out now. I haven't painted with oils but the odor and cleanup are a problem for my apartment style. Drying time is an advantage for the way I paint. If you start with oils and try acrylics, it's natural that you would find the lack of workability with acrylics a major drawback. But if you start with acrylics, you just paint a different way.

Maybe one day if my wife and I ever settle down and stay in one place, I'll have a space where I can try oils, but not right now.

Top Bottom