What's new

Speakeasy Acquisitions - Sept 08

There's a little bar in Bardstown, KY that's actually kind of a hole in the wall type of place. They offered some crazy deal on whiskey there. I think it was any five drinks (neat) for $25 from their selection of 30+ bourbon and other american whiskies. Seeing a bottle of Van Winkle 20yr behind the bar I thought this was a great idea. I got five and my wife got a different five. Of everything we had this was the most surprising. I love great whiskies and consistincy and getting what you expect in products isn't a bad thing but some of the drinks that really stick with me are the one that catch me off guard. Stuff like Mitcher's AB or Forty Creek just give me so much more than I was expecting.

A good day~:001_smile

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
No cigars for me today:frown: but I did pick up a new pair of Allen Edmonds shoes and a nice Ben Sherman suit.

Looks like you will not be giving up cigars in September Jim.....Very nice!!!

When are you coming up this way for lunch?...:wink:

I will try to get a few pictures if I can get this damn camera working.

A close friend of mine brought over an interesting find. Him and his wife have been renovating the home they inherited from his parents. They were in the process of tearing out the old cellar when they found a case of wine that his grandfather had made. His grandfather died sometime in the early seventies, so the wine is at least that old.

He brought me a few bottles and we opened one to see if it is any good.

WOW!! It is some type of berry, other than that all I can say is that it is very potent stuff. I just finished one bottle, and will put the rest up for a special occasion.

It is getting a difficult to type correctly.......... good stuff!! Homemade wine is great!!!

Finally picked up the Rare Breed last night. It just so happened BevMo is having their 5 cent wine sale, so I came home with 8 more bottles. Nothing terribly exciting to write about...

Just received a battered package from China, courtesy of Scott of Yunnan Sourcing. My pu-erh order arrived in good condition and in less than three weeks. Here's a crappy picture (camera phone):

View attachment 29980

Back Row (L to R)

2005 Yong Pin Hao stone pressed yi wu mountain cake

2007 Guoyan Yi Wu Zen Sham wild arbor

2002 CNNP Bing Dao of Menku

Front Row (L to R)

2008 Yi Wu Mountain Bamboo (pressed into bamboo and then baked -supposedly adds different nuances/creates a heavier flavour)

2008 Dehong Wild Tree

All of these are raw, except the bamboo-pressed, which is slightly fermented, but not so much as a cooked pu-erh.

I'm looking forward to trying some of these out.

Scott was a pleasure to deal with - made some helpful recommendations and has great customer service. Also, his prices are very good.

Top Bottom