What's new

How thin is the thinnest blade ever made?

Yep :biggrin:
How thin is the thinnest blade ever made ? I'm thinking of blades sold to the general public.

Just curious:001_rolle

:smile:M

wow...this one really got me thinking...

Merkur = .004
Feather = .004
Derby =

.004 I'm seeing a pattern here.

All measurements in thousandths of an inch taken at ambient temp of 75° F with a Calibrated Etalon Dial Caliper.

now, to count the angels on that pinpoint over there.

lol

The thickness of all the blades below was uniform, 0.10mm (4 thou).

Width of blades;
21.825mm ASR Personna (red pack)
21.850mm Derby DE super stainless
21.900mm Israeli Personna Super + Platinum
21.900mm Wilkinson Sword (schick blade)
22.000mm ORIGINAL THIN GILLETTE BROWN
22.000mm Gillette Super Silver Blue
22.000mm Feather Hi-Stainless
22.000mm Merkur Super Platinum

Hmmm could the width of the blade shed some light on the perceived aggressiveness or otherwise of the blades (although they're tiny differences)?

Hmmm could the width of the blade shed some light on the perceived aggressiveness or otherwise of the blades (although they're tiny differences)?
Yes.
What drew my attention to this was that my progress was less aggressive on one side than the other at the same setting (2) with a Derby blade. I now use this "defect" to my advantage by marking the handle of the aggressive side of the progress with red nail polish, 1st pass mild side, 2nd pass aggressive side, and I only use a 22mm blade in my progress

I was thinking the same thing. The Feathers were wider, and wouldn't that mean there is less of a gap?

Yes.
What drew my attention to this was that my progress was less aggressive on one side than the other at the same setting (2) with a Derby blade. I now use this "defect" to my advantage by marking the handle of the aggressive side of the progress with red nail polish, 1st pass mild side, 2nd pass aggressive side, and I only use a 22mm blade in my progress

The derby is 21.85mm wide so each side should be 10.925mm, right? Why would one side be more aggressive than the other?

The thickness of all the blades below was uniform, 0.10mm (4 thou).

Width of blades;
21.825mm ASR Personna (red pack)
21.850mm Derby DE super stainless
21.900mm Israeli Personna Super + Platinum
21.900mm Wilkinson Sword (schick blade)
22.000mm ORIGINAL THIN GILLETTE BROWN
22.000mm Gillette Super Silver Blue
22.000mm Feather Hi-Stainless
22.000mm Merkur Super Platinum

I'm just wondering as I opened a vintage pack of blades yesterday. (Or perhaps a pack of vintage blades....)
They were very flexible, bordering on soft.
0.06mm. = 0.002362"

:smile:M

The derby is 21.85mm wide so each side should be 10.925mm, right? Why would one side be more aggressive than the other?
As I said, my progress is defective in the sense that one side is more aggressive than the other, this is a manufacturing defect which was highlighted when I used Derby blades in it, With a Derby blade in my progress at setting 2 one side would barely cut, whilst the other side of the progress was more aggressive.

Also if the central cutout is misaligned by 0.025mm either way that's 0.05mm of variation between the blades exposure.

0.025mm is 25 micrometres - see here for the scale of difference... literally less than a hair's breadth!

Top Bottom