What's new

Hiking boots

My old Timberlands have just about had it. Do any hikers on the forum have any recommendations for great hiking boots?

Southern California now but I was born in Conneticut and lived in Maine as a kid. I really want to do my first long hike with the Appalachian trail. Can you recommend any particular book over another?

Hi Tech makes a line of police boot that would work well for hiking I think. Gortex and all that good stuff. I used to wear them during S. Dakota winters and they kept me toasty and comfy. See here for one example of their boot. They sell other varieties as well.

Not a specific recommendation - but then again everyone's foot is different - here's the current version of the guide that I've been using when buying boots for the last 20 years or so.

Southern California now but I was born in Conneticut and lived in Maine as a kid. I really want to do my first long hike with the Appalachian trail. Can you recommend any particular book over another?

Long Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalachian Trail by Roland Mueser. There are a good number of books about the Appalachian Trail and how to best hike it but this is the best one I've seen thus far. Here's a link to buy it if you'd like:
http://www.amazon.com/Long-Distance-Hiking-Lessons-Appalachian-Trail/dp/0070444587

I'm not a hiker, but I did need to get a good quality pair of safety boots for work.

I went to a Red Wing store, and now I'm wearing the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever owned in my life. My co-workers all thought I was crazy for spending $165 on a pair of shoes (with custom-molded orthotic insoles) but I get the last laugh because now MY FEET FEEL GOOD.

Their shoes are excellent, and come with a lifetime guarantee. Free "tune-ups" forever (clean, shine, protect, laces, and minor repairs.)

Don't buy them online, and don't buy them from a discount store. Take the time and seek out a company-owned Red Wing store. You'll pay a little bit more for them, and you might need to drive a while to get there, but you will be rewarded with a custom-fit and a computerized measuring system that selects exactly, precisely the right shoe for you and your walking needs.

i personally do a lot of hill walking and wear meindl burma pro. High legged but un beatable for support, breatheability and comfort. Not to mention water proof

I am not really an avid hiker, though I had a pair of Ecco hiking boots that I was very found of. After 5 years, the sole wore in what I thought was an unusual way, so I wrote the company just to inform them of the issue. They asked if they could see the boots and sent me a self addressed paid box to ship them in... I figured that, given they were of no use to me, I would give the company these boots to figure out the issue (if any.. 5 years IS a long time)..

Here's the kicker.. a week later, a brand new pair of boots was at my door. I called the company to pay and they would not hear of it... (note, these were around the $250 - 300 mark)..

Now THAT is customer service!!

Wayne

I would recomend popping into the nearest REI and talking to the folks in there shoe department. They set my wife up good after some conversation about her feet, what type of hiking she was doing, her gait, and how much she was looking to spend.

I am currently using a surprisingly good pair of made in china knockoffs that make me wonder who rebrands and sells them for twice the price.

I personally swear by Cabela's for hiking boots, though I agree with the advice about trying them on in person.

No offense to those who have offered you fine suggestions thus far - but none of them can touch Limmer boots in terms of comfort, quality, customization (they're built for YOUR individual feet to your exact measurements), or value.

There are a few brands as good as limmer (for a true hiking boot) but they'll run you 5-6X more $.

I'm not a hiker, but I did need to get a good quality pair of safety boots for work.

I went to a Red Wing store, and now I'm wearing the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever owned in my life. My co-workers all thought I was crazy for spending $165 on a pair of shoes (with custom-molded orthotic insoles) but I get the last laugh because now MY FEET FEEL GOOD.

Their shoes are excellent, and come with a lifetime guarantee. Free "tune-ups" forever (clean, shine, protect, laces, and minor repairs.)

Don't buy them online, and don't buy them from a discount store. Take the time and seek out a company-owned Red Wing store. You'll pay a little bit more for them, and you might need to drive a while to get there, but you will be rewarded with a custom-fit and a computerized measuring system that selects exactly, precisely the right shoe for you and your walking needs.

I have owned more Red Wing shoes than I care to count in the past 25 years. Since they started making them in China their quality control has hit the skids. I just returned a $250 pair today due to the crummy workmanship. They are not the Red Wings I remember owning and loving, to bad because they once were the best work boot you could buy. Until they tighten up I will look elsewhere. YMMV

I have owned more Red Wing shoes than I care to count in the past 25 years. Since they started making them in China their quality control has hit the skids. I just returned a $250 pair today due to the crummy workmanship. They are not the Red Wings I remember owning and loving, to bad because they once were the best work boot you could buy. Until they tighten up I will look elsewhere. YMMV

The pair I have were made in China ... I was aware of this when I bought them, and also aware that getting an American made pair would have cost about twice as much.

These are only about 4 months old, so its too soon to tell how well they'll stand up. Except that the laces are fraying a bit already, no problems so far. But with their guarantee, I can get free laces for life.

My only regret is that I got my pair in suede rather than a finished leather, and they get dirty too easily. But I just brush them off with a stiff-bristle brush and they look fine. I've had them in once for a tune-up. They're due again, but taking them in to the RW store involves a lot of time and driving and I have to leave them overnight, which means I need to make two trips. Maybe I'll just buy the cleaning/conditioning/protection products and do it myself at home.

This is my first pair of RWs, so I have nothing to compare it against except for previous pairs of shoes by other makers, and the RedWings are a clear winner. I'm satisfied with what I have, but admittedly, I would have preferred an American made pair of shoes. Cost was the deciding factor.

I do intend to get another pair of RedWings, probably early next year ... I need a dress pair of Oxfords or Wingtips to wear when I'm styling up for a night on the town. The comfort and support I get (even from these Chinese shoes) is incredible.

I do intend to get another pair of RedWings, probably early next year ... I need a dress pair of Oxfords or Wingtips to wear when I'm styling up for a night on the town. The comfort and support I get (even from these Chinese shoes) is incredible.

If you are really looking for comfort and want to style it up check out Mephisto shoes (mephistoxpress.com), not the lowest priced shoe out there but let me tell you the comfort is primo. I have a pair of the storms not to fancy but they feel like slippers with the support of great shoes. The soles are resolable and contain the most pure rubber of any shoe out there.

I have been hiking for over 15 years now. I haven't worn "hiking boots" for at least the last 10 of those. Instead, I lightened the load I carry and therefore don't need the support that boots offer. I wear low cut hiking shoes by Merril (Pulse line) or Lowa (Tempest Lo) that are leather and very comfortable and light. My pack weight for 7 days is around 30 pounds, including food and water. I don't need the "support" of high top hiking boots and I actually think that the support is a myth. I have never twisted or wrenched an ankle or every wished I had heavy boots in any of the thousand plus miles I probably hiked in that time.

You can find advice on shoes, gear, the AT and whatever at White Blaze and the Backpacking Light Yahoo group. BGT also has reviews on boots and gear. the best advice on fitting hiking boots is to go to a quality store with very knowledgable staff that will examine your feet and find a proper last for you. The two lists above could probably suggest good stores in your area to find that.

Dennis

Top Bottom