What's new

The Eight Minute Shave

In an effort to prove to my brother that one can obtain a DFS in short order, I went for speed today instead of BBS.

I learned:

1) It is possible to get a DFS in under eight minutes, including prep, lather, and clean up of the bathroom sink afterwards.

2) It is possible to do this with a Slant HD, and on the 7th shave with Gillette 7 O'Clock Blade.

3) It is possible to do this without getting any nicks or cuts on the face.

BUT

For those of you gentlemen who are suffering from EEHG, a word to the wise, that is not something you attempt to do quickly. A lesson I should have remembered from my cartridge days, but had recesses into the deep crevices of history and my personal memory. It was just a slip, bump, slip, bump - Oh NO, did I just do what I think I just did?

There was not a lot of blood, and it was the kind of thing where there was no pain and no blood - at first. It was only later that I noticed the red liquid coalescing on the ear.

All is fine. Just thought I would share this. :shaving:

P.S. IEHG = Ear Explosive Hair Growth

I don't believe it. It takes me eight minutes just to get everything set up to shave. I spend a good 20 mins. shaving, and I don't even care to get it done any quicker. I am impressed by those that can do it though. I'm betting you stop after two passes though right? Maybe even one?

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Four passes . . . I do have a goatee but I don't think that saves me a lot of time. It takes me about 1.5 minutes to whip up some lather. . . I put a hot wash cloth on my face 2x for about 30 seconds each time. I use long slow strokes and don't rinse between . . . seriously . . . I'm not rushing.

It usually takes me 15-20 minutes to shave. I now actually enjoy shaving and aim to get BBS.

This was a two pass shave. WTG and ATG with no touchup.

Damn Fine Shave. That is in the Wiki. But EEHG is not, and I could not figure that out!

Edit: EEHG noted in P.S. of original post. Didn't see it!

I take somewhere around 15-20 minutes with 4 passes, touchup & cleanup. I do not usually rush my shave it is normally the only time I take all day just for myself.

gentlemen - 20 minutes start to finish -
in shower
soap up, rinse
lather (cream)
shave in shower (that includes navigating a blade around the moustache)
out and done :cool:

Lou, how many passes in your 8-minute shave? I think if I set the Slim on 3 or 4 and took my time making one good pass, I could get DFS in 8-minutes. Maybe.

Or maybe a less aggressive 2-passer - a N-S and a quick S-N/touch-up pass with a mellow razor like a Tech, Merkur 23C or blue-tip?

But I can't imagine doing more than one pass, *maybe* two, in 8 minutes.

That said, you said you used a Slant, maybe you did only need one pass.

Jack

Lou, how many passes in your 8-minute shave? I think if I set the Slim on 3 or 4 and took my time making one good pass, I could get DFS in 8-minutes. Maybe.

Or maybe a less aggressive 2-passer - a N-S and a quick S-N/touch-up pass with a mellow razor like a Tech, Merkur 23C or blue-tip?

But I can't imagine doing more than one pass, *maybe* two, in 8 minutes.

That said, you said you used a Slant, maybe you did only need one pass.

Jack

Jack,

I've never managed a BBS in anything short of a three pass, 15 minute shave (and that is quick). Twenty minutes is the usual time it takes for a good BBS. I do, however, regularly get a DFS in a two pass shave in under 10 minutes...using a fat handled Tech. I haven't tried it with anything more aggressive yet.

Jack,

Ya know, I may need to give that a shot. As it is, I really enjoy the 20-minute shave experience. But it did occur to me the other day that I really don't have any experience with a quick shave like that which was easy with a cartridge. And sometimes I'm just in a hurry.

Thanks
Jack

Went for a quick shave today. 15-20 minutes including pre/post. DFS. Pretty darn good.

The quickest I can attain a truly BBS/no irritation shave is about 45 minutes (including pre/post). I'm a bit OCD and meticulous/perfectionist, so my BBS standards are very high. It's funny, I've found that my BBS standards have gone up and up since I first achieved what I believed to be BBS. Now my DFS is probably better than what I used to consider BBS...

If I ever have to rush the shave, I grab the Quattro out of my travel kit. Still lather with soap, but otherwise I will remove part of my face!

In a perfect world, there would be a 25th hour in each day which would be entirely dedicated to the enjoyment of a hot shower, and a BBS shave (preferably with a straight razor for me) :biggrin:

Went for a quick shave today. 15-20 minutes including pre/post. DFS. Pretty darn good.

The quickest I can attain a truly BBS/no irritation shave is about 45 minutes (including pre/post). I'm a bit OCD and meticulous/perfectionist, so my BBS standards are very high. It's funny, I've found that my BBS standards have gone up and up since I first achieved what I believed to be BBS. Now my DFS is probably better than what I used to consider BBS...

Funny thing Koop....that is exactly what I have been thinking! Gotta love OCD don't ya'. Anyway, well put! My sentiments exactly.

Top Bottom