What's new

Any non drinkers?

Are you a drinker of alcohol?

• yes

• I quit

• occasionally, no more than once a week

• no, never have

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was a bartender during college and picked up some bad habits that stuck with me for several years. I quit on my own due to a realization of where I was possibly headed.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Non drinker of alcohol and a bit of a proslytiser of the same. Alcohol is bad for humans (never mind this glass of wine a day bilge-water; the good comes from the grape juice, not the alcohol).

Moreover, I can't afford to loose any control over the precarious grasp I have on my mind; I'm quite daft enough as it is.

Though I do cook with the stuff. Mmmm. Crêpes Suzette; Bananas Forester; Flambé....

I'm a proslytiser, ossifer. Hic.

I drink, and I'm a bit of a proselytizer myself. Alcohol is not bad for humans. Alcohol can be bad for humans; of that there can be no doubt. But if a person can't see, let alone articulate, the difference between a man enjoying a glass of Ch. Latour at Taillevent and a bum swigging a jug of Thunderbird on a Bowery curb, there's a problem at play that's far worse than anything that can be caused by booze.

Now I know a lot of folks who have had problems with alcohol or other substances, but their troubles are a manifestation of their own iniquities rather than the fault of the substance itself. It could just as easily be (and often is) gambling, cigarettes, or a host of other vices. Mind you, if I say the problem is their's, I don't want to sound coldhearted, but it's a problem they have to address themselves, and they all know it. I feel bad for anyone in such a situation, as it can often be quite a hole from which to extricate oneself. I also don't mean this as a pejorative, as alcohol is undoubtedly one of the most difficult substances to enjoy responsibly. Not everyone can do this, and those who can't shouldn't. Still, it can bring an extraordinary amount of pleasure to one's life if used correctly.

Oh, and if you cook with alcohol, you are consuming it. I used to think that 100% of it would burn/boil off, as its boiling point is 172F, but recent tests have shown otherwise.

I'm a proslytiser, ossifer. Hic.

I drink, and I'm a bit of a proselytizer myself. Alcohol is not bad for humans. Alcohol can be bad for humans; of that there can be no doubt. But if a person can't see, let alone articulate, the difference between a man enjoying a glass of Ch. Latour at Taillevent and a bum swigging a jug of Thunderbird on a Bowery curb, there's a problem at play that's far worse than anything that can be caused by booze.

Now I know a lot of folks who have had problems with alcohol or other substances, but their troubles are a manifestation of their own iniquities rather than the fault of the substance itself. It could just as easily be (and often is) gambling, cigarettes, or a host of other vices. Mind you, if I say the problem is their's, I don't want to sound coldhearted, but it's a problem they have to address themselves, and they all know it. I feel bad for anyone in such a situation, as it can often be quite a hole from which to extricate oneself. I also don't mean this as a pejorative, as alcohol is undoubtedly one of the most difficult substances to enjoy responsibly. Not everyone can do this, and those who can't shouldn't. Still, it can bring an extraordinary amount of pleasure to one's life if used correctly.

Oh, and if you cook with alcohol, you are consuming it. I used to think that 100% of it would burn/boil off, as its boiling point is 172F, but recent tests shown otherwise.

I would agree with those sentiments and only add that there is nothing left to add.

Regardless of what I do for a living.....I do like the booze. Beer, Wine, liquor...mostly in that order, but not always.

In fact, I am anxiously awaiting the new Budweiser American Ale.....mainly just out of curiosity, though. I tend to be a stout, IPA, or ESB snob.

drinking some apple brandy as we speak../as I type

haven't gotten sh**faced in months. don't like to, I know my limits.

Oh, and if you cook with alcohol, you are consuming it. I used to think that 100% of it would burn/boil off, as its boiling point is 172F, but recent tests have shown otherwise.

Yes. Well, in fact, I knowingly and deliberately did not divulge the entire truth. In fact, I rarely do.

The truth is that I am, in fact, an Aardvark and I come from the planet Glom. We Aardvarks from the planet Glom routinely only tell the truth, whilst not revealing all that is true. In so doing, our literature has become the most prized of all texts in near-by-space. For our literature, in lieu of simply giving away the plot, characters or other such devices, chooses to obfuscate even the simplest of nouns in a labyrinth of truthful deceptions and veritable deceits. A quotation from our most famous work entitled :

"That which, though may, is only possible. Yet the one with, choosing this over that, can see murkily through the glass. Holding the rose, it sniffed whilst exhailing a potion of class."

Note the subtleties! The narrator, an unknown, tells of "the one with", whom is unidentified. The action, contrary at worst, elegantly allussive at best, is ascertained not by what is written, but by what the mind thinks may be written. Stunning.

This very post is being written so as to conform to Earthlings' style of clear, concise language; a very different sort is my natural script. If ever the chace arises, seize it and travel to the planet Glom where live the Aardvarks. The experience has been called — inescapable.

Yes. Well, in fact, I knowingly and deliberately did not divulge the entire truth. In fact, I rarely do.

The truth is that I am, in fact, an Aardvark and I come from the planet Glom. We Aardvarks from the planet Glom routinely only tell the truth, whilst not revealing all that is true. In so doing, our literature has become the most prized of all texts in near-by-space. For our literature, in lieu of simply giving away the plot, characters or other such devices, chooses to obfuscate even the simplest of nouns in a labyrinth of truthful deceptions and veritable deceits. A quotation from our most famous work entitled :

"That which, though may, is only possible. Yet the one with, choosing this over that, can see murkily through the glass. Holding the rose, it sniffed whilst exhailing a potion of class."

Note the subtleties! The narrator, an unknown, tells of "the one with", whom is unidentified. The action, contrary at worst, elegantly allussive at best, is ascertained not by what is written, but by what the mind thinks may be written. Stunning.

This very post is being written so as to conform to Earthlings' style of clear, concise language; a very different sort is my natural script. If ever the chace arises, seize it and travel to the planet Glom where live the Aardvarks. The experience has been called — inescapable.

While I was in college. This post would have made sense while under the influence of LSD or mushrooms.....my 2 favorite drugs of choice:biggrin: On beer 7 right now:001_smile

I like to drink.. but the Diabeties says NO to that... so i jest drink a little now and then. SHHHHHHHHHH noone tell.

As a 21 year old in college, I feel it is my duty to drink!:lol:

Just kidding. I do drink on occasion, and actually just got back from a labor day party where there was quite some drinking involved, but I also enjoy the cup of tea at nights with nothing more than milk and sugar added.

I stopped drinking about 10 or so years ago.

I do enjoy the occasional non-alcoholic beer (yes, I know there's alcohol in it - different discussion for a different topic).

My true beverage passions are coffee and root beer. Roasting my own coffee and brewing it in one of several ways.

Root beer-wise, I had my first bottle of Frostie today - haven't had it in probably 20 years. Nearly as good as I remember, too! I'm considering trying to make root beer at home (my grandma made her own).

I got sober nearly ten years ago.

I've got nothing against alcohol; I just happen to be allergic to it; when I used to drink, I would often "break out" in handcuffs:blush:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

I didn't quite get all of that, as my hat is currently out being re-foiled.

Attachments

• $unclefesterhasanelectrifyingpersonality.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 71
I stopped drinking about 10 or so years ago.

I do enjoy the occasional non-alcoholic beer.....

anyone else remember that Beavis and Butthead episode where they buy a pack of non-alcoholic beer, go sit on the curb and talk about how drunk they are...then the cop walks up and starts to take 'em in when he realized it's non-al beer and says ya'll aren't drunk, just stupid....

yeah, probably not. it's one of about 5 snips of the show I've seen, so it stands out to me

Not a drop. Ever.

But hey, if you like to drink things that thin the blood, kill the braincells, dry you out and generally make you go weewee every 5 minutes....more power to ya.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I would agree with those sentiments and only add that there is nothing left to add.
I would say +1, but apparently there is nothing left to add. :001_rolle

(reminds me of the old comedy routines where the tough guy tells the other guy to shut up and the other guy spends 5 minutes yammering on about how good he is at shutting up.)

:001_huh:
While I was in college. This post would have made sense while under the influence of LSD or mushrooms.....my 2 favorite drugs of choice:biggrin: On beer 7 right now:001_smile

Presently42 says he doesn't drink, but this post sure just needs "chaior" and ... well ... :lol:

Top Bottom