What's new

Brick and Mortar stores in Cincinnati

I was drug to the mall yesterday and we stumbled into C.O. Bigelow where I was surprised to find a huge display of all of the the Trupmers products and some nice brushes, but their prices were way high ($45 for Trumpers cream). Anyone know of other stores in Cincy that sell good shaving products, especially creams?

That's about the only place I know of around Cinci. I was in that C.O. Bigelow's around the end of last year, and they still had quite a few of the old pure tallow-based Rose shave soaps (in wooden bowls). By my count at that time there were around 20 or so of the old "soap base" version. And yes, they were a bit too expensive, as you mentioned.

That's why I only bought 2. :biggrin:

Jason - didn't realize you were around the Cinci area.
Aside from the usual mall vendors, I don't know of any good wetshaving stores in the area. Saw some AOS stuff in a Hyde Park square window at one point.
I've pretty much just done all my shopping online thru the great vendors that get so much praise here.
But now that you mention the Bigelow might still have some of the old tallow based soaps.....

Jason - didn't realize you were around the Cinci area.
Aside from the usual mall vendors, I don't know of any good wetshaving stores in the area. Saw some AOS stuff in a Hyde Park square window at one point.
I've pretty much just done all my shopping online thru the great vendors that get so much praise here.
But now that you mention the Bigelow might still have some of the old tallow based soaps.....

About an hour north -- near Dayton.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if they have sold all their stock of that soap. They had a LOT of bowls of all the scents, and the "soap base" ones were in the back of the stash.

Yeah, Kenwood has the C&E, CO Bigelow, L'Occitaine and they are building a Nordstrom's right now, expected to open next year I believe.

Baloosh - I am originally from Dayton area, grew up in Beavercreek.

Was in Kenwood TC today so I popped in Bigelow's.
They have moved the men's/shaving items since the last time I was there.
They don't look to be carrying as much as before - at least not on display on the floor.
They had all 6 GFT soap scents (all in bowls) with about 6 packages of each on display. I checked all the boxes and found only 2 (both coconut) with "soap base" listed under the ingredients -the rest were all palm-this and palm-that.

I had one box in my hand for a minute, but at $45 I decided I could get more bang for my buck elsewhere. Maybe if they had refills for half the price.....

Was in Kenwood TC today so I popped in Bigelow's.
They have moved the men's/shaving items since the last time I was there.
They don't look to be carrying as much as before - at least not on display on the floor.
They had all 6 GFT soap scents (all in bowls) with about 6 packages of each on display. I checked all the boxes and found only 2 (both coconut) with "soap base" listed under the ingredients -the rest were all palm-this and palm-that.

I had one box in my hand for a minute, but at $45 I decided I could get more bang for my buck elsewhere. Maybe if they had refills for half the price.....

Wow.. I can't believe they sold through all those Rose bowls. When I was last in there, they were in the very back right-corner of the store. I guess my secret stash of old formula Rose soap is gone. Let's hope these two bowls I have last me a lifetime. :w00t:

They have to be stocking more in the back room. Their old display was probably close to 100 bowls total... cutting it down to 36 total is quite a cut.

Yeah, the old display had all the shaving stuff lined up across that back wall in the "second room" and that was cool because all the space on the display shelves had room for a ton of boxes and product.

Now all the GFT stuff was in the first room just sitting on an "island" display in the middle of the room - not nearly as much stuff out there to nose through. They either sent all the older stuff back or all the extra stuff is just sitting in storage in the back somewhere.
I agree - they used to have a lot more and I doubt they sold that much of such a niche product.

It would be very interesting to go through many stores' stock they keep "in the back" - probably find all types of older stuff like that.

I've always wondered how difficult it'd be to persuade Jungle Jim's to stock some international shaving products. I'm not there anywhere near often enough to justify making this request myself, but given their suppliers it seems as though such a request might prove fruitful.

I've always wondered how difficult it'd be to persuade Jungle Jim's to stock some international shaving products. I'm not there anywhere near often enough to justify making this request myself, but given their suppliers it seems as though such a request might prove fruitful.

Chad,
I was in Jungle Jim"s this past Saturday. I did not have much luck with shaving products. They had package of DE blades in the Pharmacy section. They did carry shave creams by Tom's of Maine and Kiss My Face in the natural products section. I was not able to find anything in a specific ethnic section, Italian or English. I did get some beer and pipe tobacco so the trip was not a total waste.:001_smile Who knows, maybe if enough of us ask they will begin to carry more imported wet shaving products.

Rick

Chad,
I was in Jungle Jim"s this past Saturday. I did not have much luck with shaving products. They had package of DE blades in the Pharmacy section. They did carry shave creams by Tom's of Maine and Kiss My Face in the natural products section. I was not able to find anything in a specific ethnic section, Italian or English. I did get some beer and pipe tobacco so the trip was not a total waste.:001_smile Who knows, maybe if enough of us ask they will begin to carry more imported wet shaving products.

Rick

Last time I was there, in the German section they have tubes of Nivea lather cream. And they had the 4711 A/S splash and cologne bottles, and Speick bath bars.

I realize this thread is about Cincinnati. I've just moved to Hebron from Cincy. Do any of you seasoned shavers know of any places near here or Florence by chance? Tri county is a bit of a haul for what, as you've all said, is overpriced. I'd love to be able to smell the soap or cream I'm going to purchase, rather than just blindly purchase something off the net.

Thanks guys, and glad to see there are more shavers around here than I thought!

I realize this thread is about Cincinnati. I've just moved to Hebron from Cincy. Do any of you seasoned shavers know of any places near here or Florence by chance? Tri county is a bit of a haul for what, as you've all said, is overpriced. I'd love to be able to smell the soap or cream I'm going to purchase, rather than just blindly purchase something off the net.

Thanks guys, and glad to see there are more shavers around here than I thought!

Well, if you're heading that way, you could at least stop by the store to smell the soaps and creams, but not have to pay the inflated prices. That way, at least, you'd have an idea of the scents you want to order online (at a much more fair price).

Just don't let anyone outside us shave geeks know you went into a store intentionally to smell soaps and creams and not buy anything. :biggrin:

Kenwood. Man..I feel like an idiot! I was all over Tri-county today. Not a damned thing to be found except a georgio armani unscented shave cream at Macy's. Found some VDH at Wal-mart and the Bigelow at Bath and Body. Didn't like the Bigelow, the menthol was far too strong. I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't just mix up my own stuff with some essential oils...

I'm new to all this, but I'm from the Cinci area (actually live in Beavercreek, near Dayton).

Up in Beavercreek there's a cigar/tobacco store called The Wharf and they sell classic shaving products and kits. Again, I'm pretty new so I don't know how fair their prices are, but they sell a limited selection of nicer aftershaves, glycerin soaps (I believe Col. Conks) in the kits and out, also mugs and razors (both safety and straight).

I'll let you know in a few months after I shop around a bit how their prices compare!

I'm new to all this, but I'm from the Cinci area (actually live in Beavercreek, near Dayton).

Up in Beavercreek there's a cigar/tobacco store called The Wharf and they sell classic shaving products and kits. Again, I'm pretty new so I don't know how fair their prices are, but they sell a limited selection of nicer aftershaves, glycerin soaps (I believe Col. Conks) in the kits and out, also mugs and razors (both safety and straight).

I'll let you know in a few months after I shop around a bit how their prices compare!

Thanks for the info Quisling, and welcome to B&B! Definitely keep us posted on anything at The Wharf or at the large new shopping center in your neck of the woods. I'll be in Urbana during the holidays, and that would be close enough to check out.

Hiya from just across the River!

I've done some searching over this way, and have yet to find anything worth mentioning. You can get the C.O. Bigelow in the Florence Mall and at Crestview Hills mall. There is also a C&E in the Crestview Hills mall.

Outside of those two, I can't seem to find anyplace in the area.

Anyone thought of opening up a shave den/shop here in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky area?

Top Bottom