What's new

Any blade sharper than a Feather?

So My problem is this...

I love Feather blades after trying all in my sampler and have been using them exclusively for about a year now. The only Issue I have is that there are a few spots on the underside of my chin that if i go against the grain it feels like a cheese grater and I bleed like a stuck pig. But Only in those small patches.

I have tried every known suggestion for combating this phenomenon eg. shave oil, hot towels, super lather, Slant bar, Super speed, more aggressive, less aggressive, different blade buffing styles, using a mixture of baking soda and water to make an alkaline solution to soften the hairs. Nothing seems to help. so my only thought now is that a sharper blade will cut through with less drag so as not to scrape the hairs out and my skin off in the process.

It seems like the hairs are growing at such an acute angle from the skin they are almost parallel with it. Causing them to leaver back when cut against the grain, producing considerable pain and blood loss.

But from all accounts and posts it looks like feathers are the sharpest.

Am I doomed to have rough patches for the rest of my life?

Is this the end for out poor hero?

Do I have to tune in next week to find out what happens?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

lol sorry, got a little carried away there.

It is hard to say which ones is sharper than another one...

You may want to try a sampler pack from westcoast shaving and choose which one is good for you. There are now so many blades that it is hard to get a hold of them all to give you a detail on which one is sharper.

On top of all this, each person has their own sensitivity and a sharp blade might not be so sharp for others. I suggest you try the Red Personna, Israeli Personna, Merkur, Derby, Dorco, Lord Platinum Class. Those are the ones i know the most, perhaps someone can help you out.

Good luck on your quest of the sharpest blades :).

Have a great day,

Dark

Once you get to a Feather, my feeling that if there are any rough spots left it is more due to technique than the sharpness of the blade. Maybe double-checking to see which way the whiskers grow or stretching the skin might help. Unless someone has a deep dimple or cleft where the blade just can't go, that might help.

I've found Gillette Swedes to be a better mix of sharpness and smoothness than a Feather. If I was you they're the blades I'd try.
According to Squire on one of the other forums the new blades coming out of Russia like the Yellow pack 7 o'clock blades are as sharp and smooth as the Swedes. I've tried a few and find them nearly as sharp and smooth as Swedes but I think they're a lot cheaper in the States so probably worth a try.

I would have to agree with the Gillette Platinums (swedes). I can get much better shaves when I use them instead of a Feather. Although, I have yet to beat the smoothness and comfort of my Rolls with a DE.

Sounds like you have tried most things. I too use feathers. I found a marked improvement after I mapped my face for my beard growth and started paying attention to shaving with the grain according to the beard growth, shaving across the grain in the appropriate direction, etc. I find that most of the time shaving WTG and two passes in opposite direction XTG give a very nice shave.

Stretching helps a lot too but I am sure you do that.

If its sharpness you want, the only sharper edge I can think of is to get a Feather AC and Pro-Super blades, but that's a whole new ball of wax! What about waxing?:tongue:

Top Bottom