What's new

Speakeasy Spirit of the Month: September 08 - Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Ed. We've decided to post this a couple days early so you gents can pick up a bottle over the weekend.

Welcome to the B&B Speakeasy Spirit of the Month!

Our selection for September 2008 will be Wild Turkey Rare Breed

full

Wild Turkey Bourbon has been distilled in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky -- the heart of Bourbon country -- since 1869. Although the original distillery has passed through the hands of various owners through the years, WT has remained true to its heritage and is one of the few whiskeys to have retained their original higher proof amidst the trend toward lower-proof bottlings during the late 20th century. WT is currently crafted by third- and fourth-generation distillers Jimmy and Eddie Russell in many varieties, including lower-proof, aged, single barrel, rye, and of course their flagship 101-proof. The name of the whiskey came about from a distillery executive's turkey hunting trip, on which he brought some of his wares for his companions. The following year, they asked him for some more of that "wild turkey whiskey," and the name stuck.

Importantly, Bourbon is a uniquely American spirit. In 1964, Congress established the "Federal Standards of Identity for Bourbon," stipulating that to be called "straight bourbon," a spirit must:
  • Be made of at least 51% corn grain
  • Be distilled to no more than 80% ABV
  • Be aged a minimum of 2 years in new, charred-oak barrels
  • Be bottled with no additives other than water
This month, we'll be enjoying WT's barrel-proof offering, "Rare Breed." Rare Breed is a blend of 6-, 8-, and 12-year-old straight bourbon stocks, straight from the barrel at their natural proof (no water added). Rare Breed, as described by the Russells, is "assertive with hints of light oranges, mint, and tones of sweet tobacco that will remind you of your grandfather's pipe bowl. The finish is long, warm and nutty and lingers in the mouth with hints of hot peppers and well-toasted whole wheat bread."

Wild Turkey Rare Breed is advertised at 108.4 proof (54.2% ABV) but may vary slightly by batch. Cost is about $35 per 750mL.

Suggested cocktails:

Manhattan: 3:1 bourbon to sweet vermouth plus a dash of Angostura bitters, stirred over ice, strained and garnished with a maraschino cherry. Ratio is to personal taste, particularly with this higher-proof bourbon. Can also be shaken. A popular variation replacing half the sweet vermouth with dry is known as a "Perfect" Manhattan. Alternative bitters can also be used.

Old-Fashioned: Recipes vary, but in general an old-fashioned includes bourbon, sugar, bitters, and water. The "official" IBA recipe calls for saturating a sugar cube with bitters, muddling it with a splash of soda in an old-fashioned (short) glass until dissolved. Add ice and fill to the top with whiskey. However, some recipes call for a splash of simple syrup instead of the sugar cube for the sake of convenience. Many insist on still water instead of soda. Garnish with an orange slice and/or maraschino cherries (which are sometimes muddled together in the sugar mix).

Whiskey Sour: 3:2:1 bourbon to lemon juice to simple syrup. Add a teaspoon of egg white to impart a more frothy consistency. Shake with ice and strain. Garnish with lemon.

Mint Julep: Bourbon with several mint sprigs and a splash of syrup, stirred and served over ice. Some prefer to muddle the mint sprigs with the syrup to release the flavor (similar to a mojito) before adding the bourbon, yet others prefer to use the mint sprigs as garnish and take in the flavor primarily through the nose.

---
Use this thread for posting your tasting notes for Wild Turkey Rare Breed, discussing other cocktails you've mixed and variations you've tried. As well as food, pipe and cigar pairings, etc.

Cheers!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wonderful selection. I look forward to reacquainting myself with this fine bourbon and discussing it with you guys.:thumbup1:

Times are good for Rare Breed. Once a year, or every few years, a new bottling of Rare Breed is released. I think the current one WT-RB03 is the best since the first one in '91.

My tasting group tried a vertical of the '91, '96, '97, '99, '01 and '03 releases (I think that was the group) last weekend and found a lot of happiness in those glasses. It has the heavy, oily body of traditional Wild Turkey, and that wonderful complexity of the bright fresh esters of the young barrels as well as a touch of old wood. It's funny, I've had a grudge against one bottling, the '99, for years and every time we've sampled a bottle of this one the entire group has told me I'm crazy. Maybe so. With this group you could truly say it's all good.

Where many brands were a little better or vastly better 15 years ago and more (especially Grand Dad, Taylor and Forester), I recommend any bottling you see of the Rare Breed. I even recommend the '99 because I'm sure it's just that I have some cantankerous taste buds, not that Jimmy Russell's judgment was off.

And of course, there's a good possibility that if you see any dusty bottles of Wild Turkey 8 year old languishing on a shelf while picking up your Rare Breed, you may find it is better than _any_ bourbon bottled today.

Roger

For some reason I've always thought of Wild Turkey as being very sweet (as in the same vein a Southern Comfort). But this leads me to believe otherwise...

Any spirit that I can use to make a Manhattan, a Whiskey Sour, and a Julep is definitely worth having in the collection. And if it is good enough for spirit of the month, then it is good enough for me. Being that this is the first spirit of the month I have participated in, I fear that I now have another AD blossoming....:tongue:

How timely. I have had my eye on a nice, dusty bottle of this at the local spirits emporium. I have consistently read nothing but grand reviews of this bourbon. It seems I am compelled to try it.

Regards, Todd

I have tried several different premium bourbons, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve and, currently, Gentleman Jack. Wild Turkey Rare Breed remains my favorite.

KPour yourself about 2 inches of this straight up. Have a good cold glass of good water to sip on occasionally and get ready for a marvelous bourbon experience. Great stuff! Oh boy, life is good!:001_rolle

full

In both pours I detect a little bit of acetone in the nose, less so with the Rare Breed which noses not quite as sweet but with far more woody, earthy mellowness. The 101 comes in with leather and pepper, finishes long and spicy, almost harsh with wood notes that come out more with a splash of water. For the Rare Breed, I detect a lot more wheat and other grain, smoked wood, with a more rounded finish that ends up disgusing the proof to something almost deceptively lower than the 101. Finishes with less alcohol yet still warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason I've always thought of Wild Turkey as being very sweet (as in the same vein a Southern Comfort). But this leads me to believe otherwise...

Any spirit that I can use to make a Manhattan, a Whiskey Sour, and a Julep is definitely worth having in the collection. And if it is good enough for spirit of the month, then it is good enough for me. Being that this is the first spirit of the month I have participated in, I fear that I now have another AD blossoming....:tongue:

:confused:How someone could compare bourbon with Southern Comfort is beyond me. Drinking SoCo is like drinking a lollipop.

I assure you that Wild Turkey is nothing like Southern Comfort. SC is indeed a sweetened liqueur, but WT is Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey and, as such, contains no sugar.

However, there is a WT "honey liqueur", but I have never tried it.

Tim

After visiting Whiskeyfest a couple years back this has become my favorite bourbon. Straight up with a splash of water.

I think I need another bottle.

I'm between bottles now, but here's what I wrote when I got my first bottle of RB...

I just purchased a bottle of WT Rare Breed (the 03 batch; 108.2, barrel proof) last night. WOW! :drool: Incredible aroma, and it goes down reeeeeally smooth (even uncut it's not bad). Just a couple drops of water cuts the burn and opens it up nicely; I actually over-cut it at first (that 108 proof got me the first taste :001_smile), so had to top it of with more whiskey to bring it back up to proof. Nice creamy mouthfeel, tasty sweet initial notes, and a loooooooooong, spicy finish (I was disappointed when I brushed my teeth before bed, 'cause I could still taste some of those wonderful spice notes). A fine bourbon.

Branching out a bit, I'm starting to find Maker's a little boring, as far as sipping goes. It's a good whiskey, and still fine in cocktails (though I've cut back the vermouth when using MM in my Manhattans, 'cause it doesn't come through like, say, Knob Creek does), but not quite complex enough, I think. Not really surprising, as I'm the same way with beer; I prefer stronger flavors (IPAs, stouts, RyePAs) to more mellow ones (wheats and such).

I just picked a bottle of this up today. They had to blow the dust off it. $34 here in Michigan. I will post up later after some alone time with it. :biggrin:

Dennis

Top Bottom