What's new

Cast iron shaving mug?

I've been using a latte mug for preparing my cream. I'm happy with the setup for the most part, but I'd really like something with more heat retention. I don't like the idea of a hotpot, so I got to thinking about what might be a simple, but effective method for keeping the cream warm. Enameled cast iron immediately came to mind. Excellent heat retention and no rust problems. I imagine you would have to be careful not to drop it lest you damage tile floors, porcelain, etc., but that was the only drawback I could come up with. A search has yielded no results for mugs. I did find some oriental looking tea cups and Staub makes a 4 1/2 inch enameled bowl that might fit the bill. Any thoughts or experience in this area?

That's the Staub I was talking about. The size seems right and it is asthetically pleasing. So far, I'd say it is the leading candidate.

I went through Lodge's website earlier today. They have some small pots for heating BBQ sauce, melting butter, and such that are cast iron, but not enameled. Something like that would be an option if it could have an enamel coating. The Lodge factory is only an hour or so from me. One of these days I may have to stop in and see what kind of custom stuff is possible.

i drove past the lodges place and wanted to stop so bad but each time it was late at night during my travels to florida....

I did stop at Johnson and Murphy outlet in Nashville....what else for a shoeshine boy to do ???

I did send an e-mail to lodges,,,lets see if they can come up with something....

mark tssb

Cool. I'll be interested in hearing what kind of reply you get. Maybe we have a B&B Heavy Duty Shaving mug in the making!

murchmb said:
I'm also thinking a heavy, solid, stainless steel latte mug would work pretty well.

I am going to have to agree with that. Cast iron doesn't have the heat retention needed for keeping water/lather warm. That's why they are great for cooking, the heat dissapates very easily throughout the cast iron to make an even cooking surface.
Here is a nice Ebay find from last year. I have no idea what "corrosiron" means, but the motto on the bottom, I just may have to plead guilty on that, haha.
I have used it with and without a glass liner. and without, the mug itself gets pretty hot. Cool looking item though, ain't it?

Laz, here is the result of a quick google search for corrosiron:

Description

Additions of 13 to 16% silicon to Cast Iron create a material with excellent corrosion resistance to a number of media.

However, it is very hard, brittle and difficult to machine. It is subject to damage by mechanical impact and thermal shock and has to be handled with the same care as stoneware !

These materials are known as "silicon iron", Duriron, Corrosiron (or "Silicium Guß" in German) and have been widely used in the past instead of stainless steel, but they were available only in cast form.

Adding 4% Cr yields a product called Durichlor.
Applications

Silicon irons are still being used in a number of applications, like the handling of mineral acids to which they have an unequalled resistance.

They are very resistant to both oxidizing and reducing environments. Resistance depends on the formation of a Si-rich passive film. Because they are very hard, silicon irons are also good for combined corrosion-erosion service.

Thanks, Robo! Now I know about Corrosiron. It sounded to me like some sort of trade name.

Can you help me out with the "Old Ugly" part? haha

Lecruset makes a 16 oz, about 1-2 pound pan with a handle, just a little large, but it ought to retain enough heat--and would certainly break your toe and your floor if dropped.

But good info for newer users who would never get as far back as a seven year old thread. It's funny, because LeCruset was the first company that came to my mind.

Top Bottom