What's new

Storing cologne

Do people typically keep their colognes in the bathroom with other toiletries? I have often worried about the excessive heat and moisture in the bathroom and how it may alter the scent of the cologne. Am I worrying about nothing? What's the protocol here?

the standard recommendation is to keep cologne out of bright light and away from heat and it will last for years. I keep mine in my medicine cabinet (not much light, but some heat) and have had colognes last and last and last.

Some people on another website(Ahem, Basenotes) buy small fridges to keep there frags in. I keep mine in a cabinet in my bathroom and I have been fine.

Small refrigerator? I bet Foetidus has a walk-in refrigerator like what they keep beer in at the liquor store. :biggrin:

Do people typically keep their colognes in the bathroom with other toiletries? I have often worried about the excessive heat and moisture in the bathroom and how it may alter the scent of the cologne. Am I worrying about nothing? What's the protocol here?

Toiletries in the bathroom? If you can fit your toiletries in your bathroom you do not have enough ADs.

For me a fridge is overkill and a waste of electricity (unless you have 80 bottles of discontinued EDTs). A dark cool place will keep your fragrances good to be used for several years. I just tested a +10 year old Polo Green that has been under heat and exposed to regular day light (It was not exposed to sun light directly). It is still fresh.

I leave them in the original boxes stored on a shelf in the bedroom.

Boxes keep the light out and are good for selling the stuff off later, if the decision arises.

I purchased a dozen amber colored glass bottles with atomizer tops off ebay. I transferred all my colognes that came in clear glass bottles to the amber ones. The amber bottles keep out alot more light.

I store all of my shaving soaps/creams, aftershaves, and fragrances in an old dresser. Each drawer is labeled, partitioned off inside for different brands, and the dresser is in one of the extra bedrooms of the house that I have turned into supply room. I have another dresser in the same room that I am modifying into a razor cabinet, complete with felt lining and foam inserts!!

I keep mine in a cool, dark (dim really) room. Have had no problems, even with the florals and citruses which are supposed to be the first to go.

S

Sam

Under the sink. Hardly any light unless I remove a cologne to spritz, then back under there. No heat to speak of, regular room temperature. Kept fragrances good for 5 years (I tend to use them up within 3)

Toiletries in the bathroom? If you can fit your toiletries in your bathroom you do not have enough ADs.

For me a fridge is overkill and a waste of electricity (unless you have 80 bottles of discontinued EDTs). A dark cool place will keep your fragrances good to be used for several years. I just tested a +10 year old Polo Green that has been under heat and exposed to regular day light (It was not exposed to sun light directly). It is still fresh.

I had to hijack my son's bathroom on the second floor.

I purchased a dozen amber colored glass bottles with atomizer tops off ebay. I transferred all my colognes that came in clear glass bottles to the amber ones. The amber bottles keep out alot more light.

I store all of my shaving soaps/creams, aftershaves, and fragrances in an old dresser. Each drawer is labeled, partitioned off inside for different brands, and the dresser is in one of the extra bedrooms of the house that I have turned into supply room. I have another dresser in the same room that I am modifying into a razor cabinet, complete with felt lining and foam inserts!!

Wow I would like to see that.

I store my opaque bottles (himalaya and black aoud) on the middle shelf of my bookself. terre d'hermes, i put it in the corner of the book shelf behind the other bottles and boxes, as to keep the light away. They all have atomizers, so I dont worry about oxidation or evaporation, but inside, heat and light isn't really an issue.

I had a bottle of cool water that broke its atomizer and had a nail sized hole on the top, and kept it out on the desk. It turned sour after a year.

Top Bottom