What's new

Port

This is a drink I do not hear mentioned much in these parts, but I myself like a lot. Lately it has been taylor's 20 year tawny that has been getting the attention, but I have had a couple of others in the past such as warres 1983, taylors '77 and '70 and grahams '63.

If there are any avid drinkers on here do speak up as I would like to know the best places online or B&M to pick up some more nice examples, as the place I did use had a massive and unreasonable price hike. Being UK based that would be where I like the shop discussions to mainly favour, but nonetheless, lets know your fave styles, be it tawny VP crusted, or dare I say it ruby and white.

Let the dicussion commence.

I love port! My wife is the catering manager at her hotel and she has a signature desert that is a scoop of french vanilla ice cream with port poued over it with a chocolate garnish! Most excellent!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Another alcohol-related thread from Mr. Chaior. :001_rolle

I like LBV too. I've got some actual vintage stuff sitting in the basement ... ask me in a decade or so how the older ones turned out.

If you like Port, you should also consider red table wines from the Douro ... often made with the same grape varieties and having similar flavours.

The British have had a long history with port. I would suggest that you try Berry Brothers and Rudd, 3 St. James, London. It is the most traditional wine store in London. It is also near Jermyn Street shaving shops. They also have a website (bbr.com).

Ken

Dad brought back some port from Portugal one time when he had military duty there. It has been so long ago that I don't remember the vintage, but it was truly excellent and we reeeaally enjoyed finsihing off da bottles!

It has been said that the port that Portugal exports isn't even fit to wash pigs with, they keep the top drawer stuff for themselves. What we had was really domestic stuff.

Hi I love Port as well, but I have to consider the once in my range:001_smile

Right now I have:

Taylor's 2002, This one is realy good reminds me of fresh sunberries.

Niepoort Tawny 10 years old. A Classic Tawny in a perfect bottle size 37,5 cl

Porto 20 years of age Tawny Quinta Santa Eufêmia. Perfect for that chilly friday evening in the fall when you want to enjoy your cigar:001_smile

Another alcohol-related thread from Mr. Chaior. :001_rolle

I like LBV too. I've got some actual vintage stuff sitting in the basement ... ask me in a decade or so how the older ones turned out.

If you like Port, you should also consider red table wines from the Douro ... often made with the same grape varieties and having similar flavours.

Thanks for that doc!!!

I will most certainly see about trying table wines from the region, for some reason I didn't Even think of douro for table wine. I normally like my wines spanish or Chilean... Of course saying that wil likely get Ouch beating me with a stick, I'm sure I can remember him saying something along the lines of 'wine is from france, and thats it'

I enjoy a good port. My understanding, and I may well be wrong, is that its less critical to age a tawny port, but the good Ruby Ports need to sit a good while.

VP is not generally ruby port, as ruby does not improve greatly with age, a good one to try for me is Warres 1983, not madly expensive and just lovely and easy to drink.

I'm not an avid port drinker, but I do enjoy a nice glass of Clocktower from time to time. Not a true port (I believe its from Australia), but still damn fine... especially for the price.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Thanks for that doc!!!

I will most certainly see about trying table wines from the region, for some reason I didn't Even think of douro for table wine. I normally like my wines spanish or Chilean... Of course saying that wil likely get Ouch beating me with a stick, I'm sure I can remember him saying something along the lines of 'wine is from france, and thats it'

You're welcome! :001_rolle

As long as you don't have Mrs. Ouch beating you with a stick, you should be fine.

Every year for Christmas someone gets me a bottle of Whiskers Blake Tawny. It's amazing stuff. It's not really expensive either, about 15 bucks. It has a really velvety mouth feel and this really light hint of maple to it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Funny thing, when I was in university, and starting to 'get into' wine (rather than getting plastered :001_rolle) I drank a cheap Canadian 'port' called Bright's 74 Port. It was just a modest ruby port and cheap as dirt, but it actually wasn't half bad for a ruby! :001_huh:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
LBV's provide >90% of the pleasure of a good vintage port for a small fraction of the cost. They're a great value with the added benefit of being able to be enjoyed young.

And the only one getting beaten with a stick is me, although I managed to win the trifecta in the fourth at Monmouth Park today.

During the winter months I drink a lot of port. A tawny or a LBV (when the price is right) is my favorite after dinner/before bed drink.

Sorry, I'm no in the UK and don't know any places online to get good deals.

I love a good Vintage Port. About 25 years ago I had the opportunity to buy some Calem 1977 because my supplier told me that this was the one to go into the next century with. so I bought 2 cases for about $10 a bottle. Boy, was he ever right! We still have about 5 bottles left, having cracked a bottle here and there for special occasions. Of course, the price has accelerated somewhat into the stellar regions, but we're not selling any of our remaining bottles. the next one is for when Micah returns from Iraq. He's currently a first lieutenant in the Army, leading a platoon in the North.
Interesting story--we've taught our guys about good liquor from early childhood on. So, in high school chemistry, when they were learning to decant liquids, the teacher said to him: "Micah, you do that so well. How did you learn to do that?" Micah's comment: "Dad, I wasn't going to tell her, or we'd have the social worker over at the house the same day!"

Sandeman is nice, but in my humble and considered opinion, one cannot do better than a bottle of Mazuran.

Currently, we have the '84 open, with the '54 in the cellar. You will not be disappointed. I cannot recommend it highly enough!

I found a great port called Jonesy Port. It's not technically port because it is from Australia rather than Portugal, but regardless it's some great stuff and the price is perfect. Robert Parker rated it a 93 and you can find it for less than $9 for a 750ml.

Top Bottom