What's new

Port

Chaps,

Try some madeira, too. College desserts usually include a bottle of port and a bottle of madeira - you might like it.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Madeira and sherry are some of the most under-appreciated wines around and there are great values to be found.

The nice thing about them is that an open bottle typically keeps longer than a bottle of port.

While I adore port, a nice glass of Oloroso or Ximinez is one of the most comforting drinks I know of for sitting around the fire on a cold winter's eve.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Madeira and sherry are some of the most under-appreciated wines around and there are great values to be found.

Compared to madeira, port falls apart overnight. In the 90's, I was on a madeira kick, and tried a bunch of them from the 1800's. They were amazing, and I wish I kept a few of them.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Welcome back buddy... its been too long!!
ditto!
Compared to madeira, port falls apart overnight. In the 90's, I was on a madeira kick, and tried a bunch of them from the 1800's. They were amazing, and I wish I kept a few of them.

I wish I had drunk a few of them!

(Madeira is basically unique in that it decays slowly if at all once opened. It has to do with the way it's made. Originally, it was shipped in ships bound for the West Indies (or other tropical locales) and got a significant 'cooking' in the process. Now, with sailing ships headed for Martinique the preferred means of transport ... insert buggy whip joke ... Madeira is cellared on the island itself in giant hot houses, to get that same 'cooking' result. Fantastic stuff, too!)

Top Bottom