What's new

Juggling multiple razors and multiple blades

All you guys out there that use different razors in your rotation, do you put a blade in each razor that you use regularly, or do you use one blade and swap it out? I've been using 3 or 4 razors on a pretty regular basis all with Israeli Personnas (to establish a sort of baseline, as I'm still pretty new) and sometimes I play hell trying to remember how many shaves I've had with a certain blade. I've taken to writing it all down on a calendar, but I was thinking it might just be better to use one blade and move it from razor to razor. Any insight or advice would be appreciated.

IMO, it is best to use a blade in one razor only. You should keep the blade in the the razor until you are ready to dispose of it (for those who like to switch razors often). Switching out blades between uses with different razors can (and most times, will) impact your shave.

Different razors bend the blade in different ways. For that reason, I go with one blade per active razor.

one blade, one razor per week. then switch both.

That probably sounds like the best plan.

I was getting to the point where I was about to mount a white board in my bathroom to keep track of what blade had been on what razor for how many shaves :eek:

Each razor in my rotation has it's own blade. I get 3-4 shaves out of a blade and I have no problem telling when a blade is getting dull. I've changed a blade out in the middle of a shave. Heck, thier cheap enough....

Have 4 razors in rotation with blade in each. I get several shaves per blade so can't remember when they were changed. If they start pulling, nicking, or causing irritation, I change them.

I leave the same blade in each razor. Whatever razor I'm using, if I feel that the current shave is indicating the blade is getting toward the end of it's useful life, I change it when I'm done shaving. That way I'll have a fresh blade in when I go to use the razor the next time, whenever that may be.

I get several shaves from a blade, so I guess I'm not likely to suddenly feel that I need to change blades in the middle of a shave . . . again, if it was getting dull, I would have changed it after the last shave with that razor.

Regards,
Tom

I choose a razor, a brush and a cream or soap for the week. This gives me a chance at focusing on each for a reasonable time and also getting to the several items of each that I have acquired. I keep a blade i the same razor for as long as it's serviceable, usually 2-5 shaves depending.

...Ray

Two shaves for a carbon blade, and three for a stainless blade.In any razor.:smile:I used to scrape ten shaves out of a cartridge,much to the detriment of my face.:rolleyes:

I usually leave the same blade in the same razor while its in use but sometimes I'll try the same blade in a different razor to see what difference it makes. I've found it's an interesting experiment to make and I've made some good discoveries that way.
I just don't believe that a blade is so deformed by being used in one razor once or twice that it can't be used equally well in another.
I recently took a blade out of a razor that had been in there for 55 years and it still sprang straight back to lying flat on the bed when I opened the TTO doors.:001_smile
What I have discovered is that if I change too many variables in between shaves it messes things up somewhat, but that may just be me.

I use one razor and blade per week, usually switching both, but sometimes I'll just put a new blade in a razor if I'm in a good groove (no bleeding, etc.). Depending on how my skin feels, I'll switch between my cheap Williams shave soap or use some canned goo.

Have 4 razors in rotation with blade in each. I get several shaves per blade so can't remember when they were changed. If they start pulling, nicking, or causing irritation, I change them.

+1 Change the blade when you feel it pulling, Also keep the blade in the razor you put it in untill it needs to be changed out.

Eddie

Also keep the blade in the razor you put it in untill it needs to be changed out.

Why's that then? :001_smile

Number of times I've changed a razor blade = way too many times to count.
Number of times I've hurt myself doing the above = 0
Number of times the blade has bent into the angle of the razor and not straightened right out = 0

If I change too many factors in a shave I sometimes get poor results but checking out what the same blade does in two different razors is an interesting occasional experiment. But most mornings I'm not performing an experiment I'm just shaving so I don't bother. But surely there's no hard and fast rule here.

Top Bottom