What's new

Shampoo Bar

Folks,

On a recent visit to a tobacconist (Leavitt & Peirce) shop in Harvard Square, Cambridge MA I noticed they were carring a "shampoo bar" by J.R.Liggett of New Hampshire.

Has anyone tried this shampoo bar? A friend from Maine recommended it to me as a superior product made from all natural ingredients.

For $7 a small bar I thinking of giving it a try.

David

"shampoo bar" by J.R.Liggett of New Hampshire.

Has anyone tried this shampoo bar? A friend from Maine recommended it to me as a superior product made from all natural ingredients.

I haven't tried this particular brand of shampoo bars. But I have tried a few from Chagrin Valley Soap & Craft. These are made from all natural ingredients too. I have tried their "Herb Garden" and "Mud & Clay" shampoo bars and they are pretty good. Their website suggests Apple Cider Vinegar rinse after using shampoo bars, atleast initially, as there may be wax residue build up when you switch over from the commercial shampoos to their shampoo bar.

J.R. Liggett's is the only shampoo bar that I like. It's great for travel. The original and herbal are very nice. The Tea Tree is unscented and is good if you have sensitive scalp.

$7.00 for just the bar is expensive though. I've found them locally for 4.99 - 5.99 at is highest.

If you're going to use it for travel, you may want to pick up the Natural Traveler which is the original bar and travel case.

J.R. Liggett's is the only shampoo bar that I like. It's great for travel. The original and herbal are very nice. The Tea Tree is unscented and is good if you have sensitive scalp.

$7.00 for just the bar is expensive though. I've found them locally for 4.99 - 5.99 at is highest.

If you're going to use it for travel, you may want to pick up the Natural Traveler which is the original bar and travel case.

Those bars are small. Do you get alot of usage out of them?

David

LUSH do shampoo bars. Some have sodium laureth sulfate, others, like my favourite, Squeaky Green, do not. It is the best shampoo i have ever owned and is lasting quite long. I can't speak for the one you mentioned though.

curious - how would one use a shampoo bar?
and, does anyone not heed my warnings? don't use shampoo - demand realpoo! :biggrin:

I have used the JR Liggett shampoo bar. I agree - the price seemed steep. I think I paid $4-5 dollars for it. It looks like a small bar of soap, and you rub it on your hair. The lather is great and it does a good job. The key, as mentioned, is to dry it out on a rack so it lasts. I liked it for my short hair, but my wife did not care for it with her longer hair so it was a one time purchase. I would use it again though personally.

Dennis

This is SO strange; I was just about to start a thread about shampoo bars.

I use them exclusively as they're kind to my hair and scalp, something which even the mildest liquid shampoo is not.

I get mine from www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com. She has a wide selection, the bars last anywhere from 3-5 months and they're priced very well. She has a lot of body soaps to choose from as well.

I was actually thinking about this recently too! I think I have seen the light as far as ditching the shower gel and moving to soaps in the shower. Both for cost and environmental reasons. So why not do the same with shampoo?

Are there any generally available shampoo bars available in the UK that anyone could recommend? I'm not after anything amazing as I have quite short hair that seems to be fine with most of the shampoos I've used. Thanks! :001_smile

Those bars are small. Do you get alot of usage out of them?

David

Yes, they last pretty long provided you let them dry properly between uses. I read somewhere that they're supposed to last as long as a 12oz shampoo bottle, but that hasn't been the case for me. But it lasts.

One thing though, if you use it exclusively you will get build up. So either rotate with liquid shampoo or use a rinse (some people recommend apple cider vinegar) every couple of weeks or so.

This is SO strange; I was just about to start a thread about shampoo bars.

I use them exclusively as they're kind to my hair and scalp, something which even the mildest liquid shampoo is not.

I get mine from www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com. She has a wide selection, the bars last anywhere from 3-5 months and they're priced very well. She has a lot of body soaps to choose from as well.

This place looks interesting. Have you tried other shampoo bars, like Liggett's? How do they compare?

This place looks interesting. Have you tried other shampoo bars, like Liggett's? How do they compare?
Chagrin Valley's bars last longer, come in a wider variety, nicer to my hair and scalp, and the lather is, far and wide, better than Liggett's.

Ogallala also makes bath/body bars that can be used for shampooing as well. I haven't used them as such, but as body soaps, they work great.

Has anyone shampooed with them?

Folks,

On a recent visit to a tobacconist (Leavitt & Peirce) shop in Harvard Square, Cambridge MA I noticed they were carring a "shampoo bar" by J.R.Liggett of New Hampshire.

For $7 a small bar I thinking of giving it a try.

David

Folks,

Tried it out this weekend etc. It is a great product. Lots of lather and I didn't need to use a conditioner (like the label says). Only negative is it will sting a little if you get it into your eyes.

David

LUSH do shampoo bars. Some have sodium laureth sulfate, others, like my favourite, Squeaky Green, do not. It is the best shampoo i have ever owned and is lasting quite long. I can't speak for the one you mentioned though.

+1 Lush shampoo bars are great! They produce lots of lather, last for a long time, and don't leave any residue. I've tried Seanik and some others.

I used to use the Burts Bees shampoo bar but the last 4-5 bars I've had were Dr.Bronner bars. My hair feels cleaner now.

Top Bottom