What's new

Persistent matter with my shaving brushes

Hi gents!
My first shaving brush was a Plisson Access. It was included in a package with a plastic stand, a china bowl and a soap. After a few utilizations, the badger hair split up with the handle. I was at the time vexed because I did not expected this from a Plisson shaving brush, even if it was a "cheap" one. Well, I know that sometimes French manufacturers made poor effort to produce quality budget stuff (a sticker "made in France" or "qualité française" and it's done :lol:). By the way, I made a Canadian B&B fellow happy by trading the broken brush for a JM Fraser's tub :w00t:
Then I purchased a Delong shaving brush, a Chinese generic silvertip reviewed here and discussed here. I gave it a go a few hours ago, using it exactly three times: a couple of attempts to have a lathering test before my shave of the day. After the work is done, I rinsed and wrung the Delong before having it rested in my former Plisson Access' plastic stand.
I was -and still am- really pissed off when I found out that exactly the same is happening with my brand new Delong. At the base of the hair, the glue slightly begins appearing. I fear that sooner or later my Delong will have the same fate as my former Plisson Access.

I do not understand and I need your help. As I am a still a wetshaving newbie, these were my only shaving brushes as of today, so I do not have enough hindsight. Does a shaving brush split up so frequently?

Here are my theories:
  1. I am a very unlucky guy and both Plisson Access and Delong are lousy;
  2. I probably do something wrong when I have my shaving cream lathered. I just put a little bit of cream in a mug then I swirl it with the wet brush. Maybe I swirl too quickly? But it seems weird because I checked Mantic's video out and I do not think I go so much fiercer than him;
  3. Or when I remove the water from the brush hair with my fingers maybe I do it with too much pressure?
  4. Is the thick plastic stand responsible for it by tugging at the brush base?
Anyway, my SWMBO also has a Delong, still pre-bloom. I shall know more about the issue as she has her leg shaving with it.

This is a major concern which truly matters me. I have ordered the luxurious B&B Limited Edition 2008 and I do not want to have it broken too :letterk2:
I am grateful for any help, advice, feedback, recommendation...

Maybe your water dissolves the epoxy that glues the knot in :eek:

I have to say that rather than squeezing my knot (oo-er missus) I tend to give it a quick shake (OMG - the double entendres) in the shower/sink to remove the excess moisture...

I rinsed and wrung the Delong

Not 100% certain, of course, but I believe that this is the issue. Just give the brush a couple of firm shakes. There's no need at all to try to squeeze all the water out by hand. Frankly, other than the occasional cleaning, my hands never touch the bristles of my brushes.

Hope that helps!

Not 100% certain, of course, but I believe that this is the issue. Just give the brush a couple of firm shakes. There's no need at all to try to squeeze all the water out by hand. Frankly, other than the occasional cleaning, my hands never touch the bristles of my brushes.

Hope that helps!

I do use my hands, but not tugging or "wringing" in any way... After rinsing really good with water I just hold the brush vertical (bristles down) and then give it a gentle squeeze to get the excess water out... After that I put the handle between my thumb and forefinger and do the, "Ohh crap I hope I don't accidently let go and shatter a floor tile... again..." fling a few times... After that it's good to go and shelf bound...

I suspect the problem is they are just poor brushes.

There are many examples of companies that make high quality items who decided to make a bargain line hoping to profit on their reputation and the bargain line was garbage and they regretted their decision and the damage it did to their product lineup.

I suspect the problem is they are just poor brushes.

There are many examples of companies that make high quality items who decided to make a bargain line hoping to profit on their reputation and the bargain line was garbage and they regretted their decision and the damage it did to their product lineup.

You may be right. I know a couple of guys that had the same matter with their Plisson Access... which is not such a real bargain at €40.25 (~$58.88).

Hope that helps!

I do use my hands, but not tugging or "wringing" in any way... After rinsing really good with water I just hold the brush vertical (bristles down) and then give it a gentle squeeze to get the excess water out... After that I put the handle between my thumb and forefinger and do the, "Ohh crap I hope I don't accidently let go and shatter a floor tile... again..." fling a few times... After that it's good to go and shelf bound...

I will follow your examples.

I wish I will not have the same matter with my B&B LE 2008 or else... I will have a heart attack :sad:

I just used my Delong, and I have no problem with it.

I think that it is your barbarian way of shaking violently your badger brush that has broken it.

Top Bottom