Thread: Deciding between Gillette Sensor and Sensor Excel

Default Deciding between Gillette Sensor and Sensor Excel

Hi,
    I have been using the Schick Xtreme 3 disposable razor for 2-3 yrs now. Thier longivity is very good and I can easily use one disposable razor a month. However, I'm beginning to notice that the shave is not quite good, while by early evening, enough hair accumulated to merit an additional shave (I'm talking about a period of 7-9 hrs from my morning shave). Additionally, I've becomoe more competent about razor thanks to this forum.
    Counter intuitively, I'm not yet ready to upgrade to DE razors. I simply do not have the time or the bathroom space for the setup; nontheless, it is of no doubt that it will be my goal to shave with a DE razor once I move out.

I have dicided to upgrade (technologically downgrade?) to the Gillette Sensor or Sensor Excel cartridge razors. My initial choice was Mach3 Turbo, but I noticed much more satisfaction and positive review with the Sensor/Sensor Excel line od double blade razors throughout this board.

My question is the following:
    What is better, Gillette Sensor or Gillette Sensor Excel?
    I did notice some posts that the Sensor razors are more "old school". But it might be part of the trend that everything newer must be worse, while 3-4-5 razors are simply rediculous, hence everything older must be better???

I mean isn't the difference between the Sensor and Sensor Excel is similar to the difference between the Mach3 and Mach3 Turbo?
    I just want to make the right purchase and I trust u guys as you know shaving.
    So I now want to choose between the Sensor and Sensor Excel razor. I'm glad that the replacement cartridges for either Sensor are still available in some department stores and pharmacies, but would otherwise resort to buying the replacement cartridges in online pharmacies. I will most likely buy a non-Gillette razor with time, while I got the idea that a heavier razor hand is better and it is beneficial to spend $30 or more to buy an Edwin Jagger razor to go with the Sensor/Sensor Excel cartridges.

So despite the long rant,

Should I go with Sensor or Sensor Excel?

Thanks.

A month? Really? Back when I used Sensors, I couldn't even get a week out of them.

But to answer your question, the Excel is almost identical to the Sensor, except it has little rubber ridges that are supposed to help raise hair before the blade passes over them. If you're following any of the advice on this forum concerning prep and lathering using a brush and cream or soap, that probably isn't necessary. In fact, I found the classic setup of shaving soap and a simple boar brush was fine with a sensor. You may find the Excels easier to find, and if so, go ahead and grab them; they certainly aren't any worse.
    Just a writer with [url=http://kildosphere.com/books/3/]a bone to pick[/url].

Well honestly have you tried a M3 or a Fusion? They perform well for many people and I never had a problem with either and simply switched as a personal choice. It is a known fact that when Gillette makes a new razor blade style the downgrade the quality of the older model blades as a way to get people to switch (for example the coating on the M3 was reduced when Gillette started marketing the Fusion and the fusion got the more advanced treatment, I have also heard this about the quality of the sensors). To get the best possible BLADE (I will be scolded for this I know it) from a Gillette cartridge you really need to go with their newer models. But a lot of people like the Sensors and Sensor Excel so YMMV.
    As Riddick shaves his head with a makeshift Knife and engine grease-
    Johns: Hey, I thought I said no shivs!
    Riddick: You mean this? This is just a personal grooming appliance.

Images

What do you mean about space issues for the DE? A DE razor doesn't take up any more room than a cartridge razor, and the blades are far more compact than an equivalent number of cartridges. Of course, stuff like the brush, soaps and creams, aftershaves, etc. take up plenty of room, but that doesn't have anything to do with the razor itself.

If you really want to go down the cartridge route though, I doubt you'll find too much difference between the standard sensor and the excel. If you want to know for sure though just pick up a pack of each and try them.

In those days I got better service/shave out of a sensor. I would suggest you try a Schick Injector from the 70's. Blades are still available at Drug Store's (CVS, Walgreens, etc,) and online. I have Schick Stick which is a permanent part of my rotation.
    Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company. G. Washington

Happy Trails.

Go with DE much more enjoyable shave.

Images

It doesn't really matter between those two.
    "This is Mrs. Bencours, one of my patients. She thinks she's a sheep." - Gene Wilder

I switched to Sensor when it was first introduced in the early 90s. I gave Excel a try when it was introduced and found the rubber "microfins" to be a waste. They actually made the shave more cumbersome. I stuck with the standard Sensor cartridges from then on - until DE.

the handle for sensor, sensor excel and sensor 3 are all the same, pick up the cheapst handle and then if you wish, try a pack of cartriges of each,

but personally, i think DE is better,
    A man who has died with no regret is a man who is either a fool or a psychopath,

There are things you can not apologize for, the ability to carry the consequences for your actions is the mark of a true man,

Images

If you must use a cartridge, a Trac II is as close to an injector shave as you can get. The head does not pivot.

Currently working in Suzhou, China. Born in Glasgow, Scotland

I'd just get a Feather Popular or Travel and some Feather blades. Cheap, durable and much much better than any of the options you've mentioned. If you don't want to prepare with a brush etc, you'll still get a better shave from them and they come in a compact case that won't take up any more room than an M3 type. Just my tuppence-worth

Images

Well let me say that if it is your wish to do so then get a cartridge razor. But after having switched to DEs (now straight, which really is time consuming) I'm glad I didn't waist any more time on cartridges. Like someone has said in a sig: Alarm clocks are adjustable for a reason. There's always time on a weekend to train with a DE and then go right forward during the week. With a bit of experience you can shave with a DE in ten minutes and get a consistent shave. And for space, there are already brushless creams (not the goo can foam) being sold.
    But if you really want don't to then good tips have already been given.
    Dietmar

Jarmo P

Go for the DE. It is the gentle way of shaving.
    I used my Personna Triflexxx a few days ago out of curiosity, was not worth it.

Thnaks for replying guys.
    I knew a lot of you guys would advice me to jump straight to DE shaving instead of going with a cartridge razor. But nontheless, DE shaving is one of those symbolical events that I am planning to experience once I move out on my own. I can already envision my shaving rack in my own bathroom and all. In a way, DE shaving will symbolize my manhood and independence (I know, sounds dorky).

Based on the replies I take it there is not big difference between the Sensor and Sensor Excel. As such, I will go with Sensor Excel while it is more widely available.

Thanks once again.

Scorcher, as has been said, there isn't much of a difference between the Sensor and Sensor Excel. Prior to switching to a DE the Excel was my weapon of choice. I would advise you to give the Sensor 3 a wide berth - I found it gave a very disappointing shave.
    Rik.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space."

Well you can start DE shaving simply using just DE razor instead Sensor and leave brushes etc. for later. You can use just normal canned product with DE.

I shave pretty fast with my DE and can even get away with one pass if I am really hurry. Maybe I could be 10 sec faster with Mach 3 :)

IMHO, you will get more benefit by using a cheap brush and soap or cream with proper prep than you will get by using a DE with goo.
    The sensor, with proper prep gives an excellent shave, just expensive.
    Jim

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bonusmarple View Post
    It doesn't really matter between those two.
    I give the excel a slight edge, but really, they shave pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    If you must use a cartridge, a Trac II is as close to an injector shave as you can get. The head does not pivot.
    Agreed - I actually just used my Trac today (rushing) and was quite pleased with the shave.

The Atra is also a good choice, similar cartridge to the Trac, but the head pivots.

I prefer the Trac as I don't like the pivoting head, also, the Atras have a more complex cartrige holding mechanism, so more likely to break. The Trac uses a slide on system that is bulletproof.

The one thing I really like about the Trac and Atra options is that you can often find blades without the lubricating strip, which I can't stand as it gums up my face.

Quote Originally Posted by AZShaver View Post
    IMHO, you will get more benefit by using a cheap brush and soap or cream with proper prep than you will get by using a DE with goo.
    The sensor, with proper prep gives an excellent shave, just expensive.
    I agree with this - if I had to either use goo in a can with a DE or brush/soap and a sensor, I'd go with option number two.

I'm lucky in that I can get an ok shave with just about anything, but do find that anything with 3 blades or more is more likely to give me irritation - I actually think the Sensor3 is ok and is what I use for the gym or travel when I can't take a DE or injector.
    Chris.

Isn't deciding between 2 Sensors along the lines of deciding on which grades of sandpaper to buy? I won't harp on the DE. I get the ceremonial aspect of it all. Of course, if you really want to build the ritualistic nature of your first DE shave, you could just forget about the Sensor altogether and grow a beard. When you move out, the beard comes off with a swinging new DE, some quality cream/soap and a damn manly A/S. Maybe you can at least upgrade your cream to something good and brushless and not coming out of a can.
    Jared

Quote Originally Posted by stobes21 View Post
    What do you mean about space issues for the DE? A DE razor doesn't take up any more room than a cartridge razor, and the blades are far more compact than an equivalent number of cartridges. Of course, stuff like the brush, soaps and creams, aftershaves, etc. take up plenty of room, but that doesn't have anything to do with the razor itself.

If you really want to go down the cartridge route though, I doubt you'll find too much difference between the standard sensor and the excel. If you want to know for sure though just pick up a pack of each and try them.
    The problem with DE razors is that once you have one, you can't resist scooping up many more! I, for one, have about 13 or 14 at last count...